Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2016, 09:12 AM   #51
karimwassef
Registered Member

Tried spinach and also got a potent reaction. I was recording it when my surge kicked in and they freaked out. I don't like to interrupt my surge events so I let it go. When I came back, it was gone. I added some more over night.

I'll see if anything's left to record today.

I do think some veggies are more "efficient". The kale and nori tend to hold together well in the mesh. The spinash leaves were smaller and thinner so they made a bigger mess of little pieces of green leaf.

You said yours like frozen mango? Ripe or more green? Anyone else try this?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2016, 09:13 AM   #52
karimwassef
Registered Member

Latest vids http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2545088&page=4

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 03/20/2016, 11:29 PM   #53
karimwassef
Registered Member

tried collard greens.. ok, but not as good as kale

so far - using frenzy as a taste indicator - KALE (1), SPINACH (2), COLLARD GREENS (3)

Unread 03/24/2016, 12:36 AM   #54
karimwassef
Registered Member

figured out how to post videos?

Here's the latest with just Nori stuffed with shrimp and mysis (boring, sure)... and the passion is intense.

Unread 03/26/2016, 10:20 AM   #55
Boom
Registered Member

I apparently have a Google account. However I cannot setup a YouTube channel on my phone and have to use my stupid computer. Right now I'm too busy with spring cleaning and work to really sit down and try to figure that out. I will get to it "tomorrow".

I fed kale to fish by wedging it and a spinach leaf to the magfloat. It scared them for hours lol. Then cut it up into small pieces with my nails. They sure gobbled it up while it was floating around! They obviously like the taste of it.
BTW, they prefer RIPE mango. This batch we bought for our shakes is not as sweet as the last one. They're not as interested in it only when some ripe banana hit the water.

There is something to be said about fish and their learning curve. I'm glad we're all sharing this info. I certainly would have given up on the kale if I hadn't seen Karimwassef's video of his fish eating it with such relish!
My point is, with new foods, they first have to go through the process of ruling out a possible threat if it's PRESENTED in a way they're not FAMILIAR WITH. Hmm, my kids are like that, too.

Last edited by Boom; 03/26/2016 at 10:25 AM.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2016, 06:53 PM   #56
karimwassef
Registered Member

true. I find that putting it in close proximity with something they are familiar with also gets them over the initial fear.

So, veggies inside nori works better the first time.

Unread 03/27/2016, 12:32 AM   #57
Boom
Registered Member

My tank wants to be like yours when it grows up. Stunning...
And your videography, too.

Unread 03/27/2016, 12:36 AM   #58
Boom
Registered Member

YouTube channel. That's on my to-do list, after i do my taxes.

Unread 03/27/2016, 08:53 PM   #59
Jahdiel
Registered Member

Dang just today I was wondering how my fish would like some saltine crackers, like fish in the rivers do. Now you all have me thinking I wasn't so off my rocker on human consumption items. Very interesting read. Will be tagging along.

Current Tank Info: 75 BF reef
Jahdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2016, 12:42 AM   #60
karimwassef
Registered Member

I don't think all human food is fit for reef consumption. I think excess refined sugars could be a problem

Unread 03/28/2016, 08:40 AM   #61
Jahdiel
Registered Member

I wouldn't think so either karimwassef. :-)

Current Tank Info: 75 BF reef
Jahdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2016, 09:13 AM   #62
SpSChief85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
His lower body was paralyzed. Apparently, this is common in wrasses but most don't recover. I think it's a spinal injury from jumping or diving or darting and hitting something solid like a glass wall.

You know I can't be 100% sure than the shrimp+Selcon was responsible for it healing. It may have also been the Kale? Wrasses don't eat vegetables/plant/algae- do they?

I picked Kale as the most nutritious green leafy vegetable. I was worried that my fish wouldn't try something new since they are a little pampered with 4 sheets of Nori a day.

The surprise was my big regal blue hippo tang. It's a very healthy fish but incredibly shy! It will not come out if it sees anyone in front of the tank. But once we go, it comes out to eat and interact. It's a good community fish. So the surprise was when it nibbled the kale and then went a little nuts for it. I was coming closer.. Saw it see me and expected the usual hiding behavior, but it didn't. It kept eating. It was watching me but there was no leaving that kale.

My daughter ran up and gasped that the blue tang isn't scared any more? She actually could be inches away and it kept eating. Once the kale was gone... She disappeared again

I guess if there's a taste test for fish, it would be boldness to feed...
My yellow scroll wrasse eats nori alongside the yellow tang.

Unread 03/28/2016, 12:21 PM   #63
karimwassef
Registered Member

my three wrasses do too. I don't know if it's natural or motivated by the shrimp and mysis I hide inside the veggies. Yellow, Dusky and Melanurus will give it a try.

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:49 PM   #64
j_mazzy
Registered Member

who introduced bananas or oranges? If you did how did you introduce them?

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2016, 02:13 PM   #65
JonezNReef
Registered Member

This is an awesome read! I can't wait to go home and give my fish a nice salad. Just not sure if they would prefer honey balsamic, ranch, or possible Caesar dressing since it has anchovies in it.
But on a real note this has been quite educational and I cant wait to give my fish some new food to diversify there diet even more

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2016, 03:08 PM   #66
Rakie
In Memoriam

Very cool read! None of the veggie matter surprises me but some of the cocktails with Animno's and Vitamins kinda do. Ver interested, I hope this thread stays alive.

The veggies don't really surprise me because an LFS near me has always fed greens to their tangs. My whole life I've walked around fish shops and seen Broccoli, Kale, Corn, Carrot, Romaine lettuce, Nori, and all kinds of other crap on magnetic clips and watched tangs graze on stuff.

Let me tell ya, nothing looks more funny than watching a shoal of yellow tang graze on Corn Cobs lol. Their tangs were always the healthiest of their livestock by miles. Even when they came in emaciated and sickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_mazzy View Post
who introduced bananas or oranges? If you did how did you introduce them?
I think they were blended with regular fish stuff (shrimp, clam, money, etc etc)

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2016, 03:20 PM   #67
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
This is an awesome read! I can't wait to go home and give my fish a nice salad. Just not sure if they would prefer honey balsamic, ranch, or possible Caesar dressing since it has anchovies in it.
But on a real note this has been quite educational and I cant wait to give my fish some new food to diversify there diet even more
You could always give them a Clam, Shrimp, Cyclopeze, Rotifer blend with some cod oil for 'dressing' (I saw someone mention Cod oil).

Also in the wild a lot of predators love eating heart, kidney, liver, intestines. Basically what we would classify as offal or Organ meats.

Way back in the day my uncle kept large FW predators. His big ones were an African Lung Fish, Arowana, and an Electric Catfish (ugly yet cool beast, it looked like a beige sausage with whiskers). He often fed them Offal, beef heart and such. This was in the dark ages, before the internet was widely available. His fish looked amazing, great color, great energy levels, etc etc. He would also give them Crickets, Mealworms, and he fed his Arowana a feeder lizard once every month or so (for those who never visit reptile shops, feeder lizards are a thing)

If I were to try my hand at making fish/coral foods I'd hit up my local Seafood Market and buy up all the Organ Meats from large fish they get in whole (salmon, halibut, etc etc). Very likely they will give you the organ meats if you ask. And if you ask in advance and give the fish guys a small tip, they may remove the organs and put them on ice for you.

Last edited by Rakie; 06/10/2016 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 06/10/2016, 06:43 PM   #68
karimwassef
Registered Member

You need to be very close to the shore for that! But awesome idea.

Unread 06/11/2016, 02:37 AM   #69
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
You need to be very close to the shore for that! But awesome idea.
I am, but i often forget not everyone else is!

Unread 06/14/2016, 04:02 PM   #70
uvijaya
Registered Member

I used to dose Amino for my SPS, didnt see much difference.

uvijaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 05:09 PM   #71
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvijaya View Post
I used to dose Amino for my SPS, didnt see much difference.
Dosing Amino's is all the rage now, and lots of people see huge success. So maybe you either weren't lacking those Amino's in your system, or the dosage wasn't right, or those particular amino's weren't right.

Personally, I dose AcroPower and noticed positive results within a few days. Better colors, greater polyp extension. my Zoa's liked it too.

Unread 06/18/2016, 09:58 PM   #72
karimwassef
Registered Member

corals and always so hungry

This is NO LED - just Metal Halide since the LED messes up my iphone vids.

Unread 06/19/2016, 09:33 AM   #73
JonezNReef
Registered Member

karim all I can say is BEAUTIFUL!!!

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2016, 11:03 AM   #74
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks. All I hear and see are thousand of little mouths saying "feed me, Seymour... Err Karim, FEED ME"

Unread 06/20/2016, 03:16 PM   #75
mjstech
Registered Member

Do your skimmers go nuts with tons of overflow or zero production when dosing/feeding 'odd' foods?

mjstech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amino dosing, carbon dosing, coral food