Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2017, 09:45 AM   #151
Art13
Registered Member

After the constant struggle and two years of manual removal, many failed attempts to rid myself of this, i'm almost in disbelief, i thought i would have to shut my tank down.

Art13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 10:00 AM   #152
peiloy3196
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art13 View Post
I believe the OP has been rid of it since November if i'm not mistaken with no side effects at this time.

Yes. I have been Bryopsis free since the start of November. All Sps, Lps and fish have shown no changes. Actually my SPS is once again thriving without the bryopsis. Water chemistry is stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank: 230 Gal , 75 Gal Sump with Refuge, 3X250W MH, 4X54W T5, MP60QD's, SRO XP5000 Skimmer, Octopus Calcium Reactor, 1.5 HP Chiller, Apex.

Current Tank Info: 250 Gallon Reef
peiloy3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 11:58 AM   #153
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe the OP has been rid of it since November if i'm not mistaken with no side effects at this time.
Trust me I'm not disagreeing but many people won't take one case and consider it fool proof. I firmly believe this is a cure for this algae issue. But to consider it a scientifically proven cure from one case is not how it works.

I want it to be a proven case, and while it surely looks to be, time will tell as more and more people take the plunge to give it a try. With many many cases of proven success then I would consider it a proven cure.

We hear all to often on these forums of what works for one, never makes a dent to another. With that being said, for example, a dozen or so people confirm this removal method, with no ill effect over manny many months, not just a few, then yes, it would be considered proven.

I'm not trying to be "that guy", I'm just stating what it takes to be a proven case.

So with that being said, hopefully more people take the chance, document their scenarios, and provide the info needed to prove this method.

So, people, if your considering this method, please take before pics, pics during the treatment, and after pics. State what your tank specs are and what livestock you have, weather it be fish or corals, and be specific. The reason I say specific is because there could be a species out there that doesn't cope with this drug and is killed off. Then future hobbiest know to either remove them during treatment, or not to risk it at all.

In my honest opinion I think "we" are on to something!

Unread 01/14/2017, 12:14 PM   #154
Art13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
Trust me I'm not disagreeing but many people won't take one case and consider it fool proof. I firmly believe this is a cure for this algae issue. But to consider it a scientifically proven cure from one case is not how it works.

I want it to be a proven case, and while it surely looks to be, time will tell as more and more people take the plunge to give it a try. With many many cases of proven success then I would consider it a proven cure.

We hear all to often on these forums of what works for one, never makes a dent to another. With that being said, for example, a dozen or so people confirm this removal method, with no ill effect over manny many months, not just a few, then yes, it would be considered proven.

I'm not trying to be "that guy", I'm just stating what it takes to be a proven case.

So with that being said, hopefully more people take the chance, document their scenarios, and provide the info needed to prove this method.

So, people, if your considering this method, please take before pics, pics during the treatment, and after pics. State what your tank specs are and what livestock you have, weather it be fish or corals, and be specific. The reason I say specific is because there could be a species out there that doesn't cope with this drug and is killed off. Then future hobbiest know to either remove them during treatment, or not to risk it at all.

In my honest opinion I think "we" are on to something!
I agree, while there is only one long term case we see in this thread, I believe the 5 or so, give or take, people that have tried this method in this thread have a 100% success rate on killing bryopsis. Too soon to tell for long term effects, but to me that is a major sign. Tech m and H2O2 were touted as cures, but you can see from multiple threads if you were to pull the first 5 people who tried it, none were 100% effective.

Unread 01/14/2017, 12:22 PM   #155
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree, while there is only one long term case we see in this thread, I believe the 5 or so, give or take, people that have tried this method in this thread have a 100% success rate on killing bryopsis. Too soon to tell for long term effects, but to me that is a major sign. Tech m and H2O2 were touted as cures, but you can see from multiple threads if you were to pull the first 5 people who tried it, none were 100% effective.
I completely agree.

I really really do hope this is "it", this could be a major game changer for this hobby as a whole.

People could even start QT'ing frags in this medication before even introducing into their DT's to help stop the transfer of this invasive algae.

Unread 01/14/2017, 12:34 PM   #156
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
I completely agree.

I really really do hope this is "it", this could be a major game changer for this hobby as a whole.

People could even start QT'ing frags in this medication before even introducing into their DT's to help stop the transfer of this invasive algae.
That's a great idea. I think I'll give that a try when it's time to start filling up my tank.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 02:12 PM   #157
atraperegrinus
Registered Member

Quote:
I completely agree.

That's actually not a bad idea, run it full time in a coral qt system.

I wonder how fast it would kill a small potion of bryopsis.

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef - 110g Display Tank - C2C Overflow /w Bean Animal | 125g Sump/Fuge | Vertex Omega 150 | Waveline DC12000 | Apex Neptune Controller | Gyre 250's x2 | Ocean Revive LED's | SpectraPure LM3 AWC | Tunze 3155 ATO /w LM3 pump |
atraperegrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 03:56 PM   #158
tkeracer619
Registered Member

That is what I am doing. Seeing progress but I don't think 100% of my issue is bryopsis. The bryopsis is definitely suffering. So far so good. I have a macro progress shot from yesterday but am not home to post it. Will try for later.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 07:57 PM   #159
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

I am on day 4 and I am definately seeing less algae on my rock in my experiment tank. I was not sure it was bryopsis but it has improved. I will post pictures soon.

Mrs. Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 10:15 AM   #160
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Day 3, Bryopsis is in serious trouble. The entire structure is white and frail.

Day 4, I don't think our test subject is feeling well

Today is day 5, hoping to see more progress on the algae tufts that are on the frag plugs.

Since I don't think our test subject is going to be much use I will have to find something else to take a photo of but for an example this is the tank as a whole... taken on day 1.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 01/15/2017 at 11:13 AM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 10:34 AM   #161
ali1
Registered Member

Love the case scenarios

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 03:10 PM   #162
Art13
Registered Member

Day 8

Unread 01/15/2017, 03:39 PM   #163
Art13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Day 3, Bryopsis is in serious trouble. The entire structure is white and frail.

Day 4, I don't think our test subject is feeling well

Today is day 5, hoping to see more progress on the algae tufts that are on the frag plugs.

Since I don't think our test subject is going to be much use I will have to find something else to take a photo of but for an example this is the tank as a whole... taken on day 1.
I think you should mail me that frag rack and everything on it

Unread 01/15/2017, 05:49 PM   #164
sculpin2
Registered Member

I have also confirmed this. After 9 days in a pico system at 1 pill per 5 gallons water volume of Fish Flucon (15 gallon system), I'm down to almost no living Bryopsis. The only side effect I have seen is minor polyp bailout on an Acan which may or may not be related to the treatment.

sculpin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 07:17 PM   #165
ali1
Registered Member

I assume it kills all other algae including chaeto, ATS, gha. Can someone confirm their refuge took a hit. Not a bad thing at all, it will give your fuge a clean start

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:19 PM   #166
Art13
Registered Member

I didn't have anything in my five but I do have a bit of gha popping up after a few days of the treatment. Cyano isn't affected either.

Unread 01/16/2017, 07:08 PM   #167
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

Day 5IMG_2291.jpg

Unread 01/16/2017, 07:12 PM   #168
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

Day 1. A little bit of improvement. But my heater failed and the temp dropped to 65. Not really sure this was bryopsis, but the neomeris did not improve. Sigh.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2282.jpg (67.2 KB, 44 views)
Unread 01/16/2017, 08:06 PM   #169
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Day 8

All I can say is WOW! Looks great!

Unread 01/16/2017, 09:19 PM   #170
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

well. now that I have looked at the picture a bit more I do see a bit of improvement.

Unread 01/16/2017, 09:38 PM   #171
bobbravo2
Reef Addict

Just ordered me some of this magical elixer!

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon | Radion Pro G3 | MP40 | MP10 | Apex | Jaebo DC9000 | KNOP Calcium Reactor | Mated Picasso Clowns | Mix of LPS, SPS and Softies
bobbravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 06:21 AM   #172
Art13
Registered Member

Quote:
All I can say is WOW! Looks great!
It does, I was about a month away from pulling out the livestock from my tank and nuking it. I can sit back and enjoy my tank now, no more weekly cleanings and knocking everything off the rocks trying to get to the bryopsis. I'll be putting one other pic up today, day 10, but it's useless to do anymore after that. All the bryopsis is gone. I'll do some follow up posts down the road just to confirm if the tank is still algae free like the op did.

As for the OP, thank you for finding this, you saved my tank.

Unread 01/17/2017, 07:03 AM   #173
bobbravo2
Reef Addict

@op - yes thank you! Where did you find this happy accident of science? Seems so lucky

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon | Radion Pro G3 | MP40 | MP10 | Apex | Jaebo DC9000 | KNOP Calcium Reactor | Mated Picasso Clowns | Mix of LPS, SPS and Softies
bobbravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 08:13 AM   #174
peiloy3196
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbravo2 View Post
@op - yes thank you! Where did you find this happy accident of science? Seems so lucky

No problem guys. I was just so fed up of my Bryopsis problems I googled relentlessly reading anything I could on the topic. After getting nowhere I started translating other reef forums that were in another language and that is where it was being discussed, so I figured what do I have to lose at this point and gave it a shot. The thanks really should be for those guys. I just took a leap of faith. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank: 230 Gal , 75 Gal Sump with Refuge, 3X250W MH, 4X54W T5, MP60QD's, SRO XP5000 Skimmer, Octopus Calcium Reactor, 1.5 HP Chiller, Apex.

Current Tank Info: 250 Gallon Reef
peiloy3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 08:41 AM   #175
Scorpius
Stick Head

So you only dose it once?