Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2017, 10:51 AM   #26
D-Nak
Registered Member

As long as it doesn't deflate, you're in good shape. Bleaching is a normal response to both the trip from the ocean to the wholesaler to the LFS to you, as well as the Cipro treatment itself.

My tangs steer clear of my gigs. I've seen one swim a little too close and get stung, but after that it was almost like it knew to keep its distance. Other fish, particularly those without swim bladders, like gobies and hawkfish, tend to wander into nems and get multiple stings. This is far worse than simply brushing up against it.

Once you put the gig into your DT, it may take some time for the zoox to come back. Once it does though, the process from white to brown is relatively quick. Definitely give it lots of light to encourage zoox growth.

Unread 02/23/2017, 11:49 AM   #27
dangros
Registered Member

It took me what seemed like a very long time to peel from the bowl. Once I did, it kept sticking to my fingers as I tried to place it in its spot. Holy cow that nem is sticky!!! I turned off the pumps so it can settle under the substrate. Once I was able to get away, it seemed to begin settling in nicely. I really hope I didnt damage the foot in any way. I'm going to wait a little while before turning on the power heads. If I need more flow, I can always add another one and point it towards him. Here are the pics from just after placing in DT:

[/url]

dangros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 12:19 PM   #28
D-Nak
Registered Member

With the nem at the bottom of the tank surrounded by rocks, it probably won't receive enough flow. Furthermore, the part of the nem that's shaded will remain bleached. Maybe consider moving the zoas from the rock on the far right, and place the gig on the top. Once it grows, it may take up most of that rock. I think it'll look very nice with the nem on top and the ledge underneath.

Unread 02/23/2017, 02:31 PM   #29
pfan151
Registered Member

Yea, gigs need to be up in the rocks. That's why i mentioned putting him up in that crevice on the upper right side. Only haddoni stay down in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 06:36 PM   #30
taylor t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
With the nem at the bottom of the tank surrounded by rocks, it probably won't receive enough flow. Furthermore, the part of the nem that's shaded will remain bleached. Maybe consider moving the zoas from the rock on the far right, and place the gig on the top. Once it grows, it may take up most of that rock. I think it'll look very nice with the nem on top and the ledge underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Yea, gigs need to be up in the rocks. That's why i mentioned putting him up in that crevice on the upper right side. Only haddoni stay down in the sand.

I agree with these guys, I'd consider moving it up on the rocks and moving the zoas.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 03:57 PM   #31
dangros
Registered Member

Oh man - Moving it will suck. It's attached. As for the current, I moved the powerhead to give it some flow. It's moving pretty good in this video. It also gives you an idea of how much light it's getting/not getting. What do you think now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8_1Q-NwDDc

Unread 02/24/2017, 04:13 PM   #32
pfan151
Registered Member

I'd go with more flow. I'd move it up but it will probably move on it's own at some point. Just if you put it in a good spot from the start it probably wouldn't move much on you.

Unread 02/24/2017, 06:17 PM   #33
D-Nak
Registered Member

Once it settles in, if it doesn't move up on its own, you may want to consider moving it. I have a friend who has a gig at the bottom of his tank under a ledge, and it's not fully colored up, borderline bleached. He's had it for quite some time so I know it's healthy, but it's definitely not thriving. In other words, unlike BTAs or magnifica that will move to ideal conditions, gigs tend to stay put, even it if means that it doesn't receive the optimum amount of light.

Unread 02/27/2017, 07:02 PM   #34
dangros
Registered Member

I sure hope I don't have to move it. It's now doubled in size from the bowl days
Has a couple visitors too
https://youtu.be/jiah8J2V8bM

Unread 02/27/2017, 07:33 PM   #35
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks good. I'd still move it though.

Unread 03/11/2017, 07:32 PM   #36
dangros
Registered Member

Thought I would post an update on the nem. In spite of everyone's advice to move the nem higher, I still have not. I'm too afraid there will be issues and it seems to be doing ok where it is. Notice the color turning blue! Yippie! I did, however, make a few other changes:
1) angle the kessil light so it's creating less of a shadow.
2) Since getting the nem, I slowly ramped up the lights from 80% to 98%. j
3) Maxed out my powerheads (MP-40 on one side of the tank and Jebao rw-8 on the other) 4) Moved the RW-8 to hit the nem with a little more flow.

In doing #4, looks like I wiped out a red dragon frag. It's bleaching out. It was looking better in color lately but never took off with growth so I'm not all that upset.

Unread 03/11/2017, 08:24 PM   #37
pfan151
Registered Member

Would it be possible to move the rock that is above it? It still looks too shadowed to me. Or maybe rotate the rock it's attatched to so it is out in the light more? I think it would be coloring up more if it was getting better light.

Unread 03/12/2017, 11:11 AM   #38
dangros
Registered Member

I think it is possible. It's actually 2 rocks (one with zoos and one to the left of it). One of those rocks has a really nice sps that is up against the back glass. Moving either of these 2 rocks is a risky proposition, especially the luck I've had with moving rocks! Having said that, I will likely give it a shot either later today or next weekend.

Unread 03/22/2017, 05:09 PM   #39
dangros
Registered Member

The nem shrank a lot! The lights were on the dimming side of the cycle but this seems small! Should I be worried?

Unread 03/22/2017, 05:12 PM   #40
D-Nak
Registered Member

If it doesn't expand to its normal size by tomorrow, then yes, I would be worried.

Unread 03/22/2017, 10:07 PM   #41
dangros
Registered Member

Would that mean cipro again ?

Unread 03/22/2017, 10:10 PM   #42
pfan151
Registered Member

You really need to get it in the light. In that pic it is totally shadowed. Have you tried feeding it? With it being so bleached I think it might need some food.

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:32 AM   #43
dangros
Registered Member

I've been feeding it a good bit actually. It's still very sticky. When I do feed, the shrimp try to steal the food and their antennae almost get caught. I've been feeding a small chunk of LRS every 2 or 3 days. This am, the nem was balled up.

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:38 AM   #44
taylor t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor t View Post
I agree with these guys, I'd consider moving it up on the rocks and moving the zoas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post

I think the consensus between 3 gig owners is move it. When it's not going well, don't ask why, you were given advice that you won't take.

Unread 03/24/2017, 08:55 PM   #45
taylor t
Registered Member

Dangros, I'm sorry my post sounds harsh, it wasn't intended to offend you....Trying to help with little time (and little thought)... But I saw something that should have given you immediate results, that's not being done... Anyways, how's your gig doing??? Can we help you? Everyone loves success stories.

My earlier post should have read:
If you don't want to move it, can I suggest getting an LED spot light and adding more light to give that guy more "love" being so deep in the tank? You might be surprised by it's reaction to a 5K LED spot.

Unread 03/25/2017, 07:04 AM   #46
dangros
Registered Member

taylor_t, no worries! Sometimes the truth is harsh and even if I was initially offended, it helped me "see the light" faster. And now the nem can as well. I do respect the fact that you softened the tone. Thanks on both counts. Hopefully it helps someone else down the road as well.
Now for the update:
I fed the nem on thursday and it seemed to expand back to normal during the day. But, I was still uncomfortable keeping it in the shadows. Once my 7mo old and 4yr olds are awake, there's no chance of moving anything so I'm decided to do it in 2 steps. The first was JUST completed while everyone slept .

Step 1) Hoping with all hope the nem was attached only to the rock and not the bottom of the tank, I moved the surrounding rocks out of the way. I had to take a large rock completely out of the tank, temporarily. With the nem's rock finally free of any other rock resting upon it, I flipped the nem's rock so the nem is now sitting on top instead of the side of the rock. Luckily it's not attached to the glass, WHEW! It's now going to be in the direct light but my rocks look crappy and I'm not happy with the layout. So...

Step 2) I have some dry pukani downstairs. I will drill swim holes through the largest chunk, clean it, and put it under the nem's rock. The final placement is yet to come but at least the nem has more light.
p.s. I only broke a little bit of coral in the process. Here's a vid of what I just did. Note the lights are out:
https://flic.kr/p/T4aHii

and a pic:

Unread 03/29/2017, 09:47 PM   #47
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Looking good.

How do you think it looks from day one until now?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 05:38 AM   #48
dangros
Registered Member

It's definitely less bleached but it hasnt grown from what I can tell. It shrinks down to almost nothing at night and inflates to it's normal size during the day. It was opposite in the treatment tank. It would puff up at night and retreat a bit with the light on, albeit not as much as it does in the DT. I've continued feeding it small chunks of LRS about once every 2 days or so and it seems to consume it. I dont like how it retreats at night but I the same occurred with my LTA (which I had years ago in a different tank).

Unread 04/01/2017, 12:55 PM   #49
dangros
Registered Member

looking bad.

Last edited by dangros; 04/01/2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added pic
Unread 04/01/2017, 01:04 PM   #50
dangros
Registered Member

As you can see above, the nem looked really crappy over the last couple of days. So I checked my levels. Not sure why but my nitrates are high. 50ppm!
Phosphates a bit too at 0.18ppm. I do automatic water changes (over a gallon a day) so that's uncharacteristic of the tank. I will do some manual water changes over the next few days to see if that helps. As for the carpet, should I pull it back into cipro treatment? The mouth is sagging open instead of closed as it was just days ago.

Tags
anemone, carpet anemone, gigantea