Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2017, 09:58 PM   #1
ChameleonNYSea
Registered Member

Peppermint Shrimp versus acans?

Three days ago, I picked up a rainbow Acan, as well as some peppermint shrimp to clean up an aiptasia problem before it exploded.

The peppermint shrimp have served their purpose and got rid of the aiptasia overnight. They didn't look to bad, so I thought I would let them stay unless they caused some issues with corals (as I heard they could have).

Today, as I was feeding my acans (brine shrimp), I noticed that the peps were digging inside of the Acan and tearing the food away from the tentacles. They looked like they were ferociously digging in in order to retrieve the food. I fed each of them individually to try and stop them from stealing more, and tried again - no success.

Were the peps going after the acans themselves or just after the food? Should I remove the peps just to be safe? I should be able to get store credit for the peps. I was contemplating getting rid of them, because the Acan was a much larger expense. If they get a taste of my acan will they go after my zoas, torch, and Xenia? I would like to stop a $25 problem (the three shrimp) before it becomes a $180 problem.

ChameleonNYSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

Peppermints were going after the food the acans ate. That's the single reason I won't have shrimp of any kind in my tank. I've had annoying peppermints digging around inside the mouths of all manner of lps. If you never feed the corals, it's not a problem and they WILL leave them alone. But I appreciate the improved growth and polyp extension as a result of feeding my lps. Unfortunately you have a choice to make. Either don't feed your lps and know that they'll do fine on light alone, but may show signs of malnutrition possibly, or get rid of the peppermint. They won't stop what they're doing. They're wicked good at sniffing out food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 03:26 PM   #3
rajilnaja
Registered Member

Bannished one to the sump a week or so ago. Would just wait for food to be trapped by my elegance and do everything it could to steal it.

rajilnaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 11:13 PM   #4
dostjustin1
Registered Member

I had a peperment destroy a hammer frag within about 20 min of me placing it in the tank...i have 4 shrimp and now they need to go

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

dostjustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 02:15 PM   #5
mtaswt
Registered Member

I lost several nice torchs and hammers due to my peppermint shrimp. Banished them to the sump and since my new ones are thriving. Took me awhile to figure what was taking them out before I caught them in the act in night

156g, 8 bulb ATI dimmable powermodule, led moonlights, PM 175 skimmer, 55g sump, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40's @ 75%, BRS dual reactor, ReefKeeper Elite, ATO, & 200 #'s of rock. 2 blood shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 sexy shrimp, Oynx clowns (mated pair), purple & yellow tangs, red scooter blenny, breeding pair of Banggai Cardinalfish, Bartlett's Anthias, Maldives Lyretail Anthias, Labout's fairy wrasse, two spot goby, multiple corals (mostly lps), and counting......who said this hobby was cheap?
mtaswt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acan, destroy, eat, lps coral, peppermint shrimp