Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2017, 03:10 AM   #1
elweshomayor
Registered Member

Lifespan of a glass tank?

So I was watching videos on youtube from this guy named JoeyDIY. He states that the lifespan of a glass aquarium on average is around 10 years, before it needs resealing.

My tank being 8-9 years old, I am nearing that age. If true, Im concerned of having 150 gallons of water in the carpet. ( not to mention everything else around the house.

Is there any truth to this? and is there ways to prevent a tank explosion. (as much as possible).
Things such as tale signs and things to look for when doing regular maintenance.
So far my tank has no leaks, so thats good.
Also when he said resealing, does that mean having to disassemble tank completely and redoing the silicone? (truthfully, if i have to empty tank, I rather just buy a bigger tank )

Has any of you had larger tanks running without needing to, or even suspecting to need resealing for longer than 10 years?

elweshomayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 04:00 AM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

Lifespan of a glass tank?

I've seen glass tanks that's like 25 years old. I have had a 150 that's like 15 and some 20 gallons at 20 years. I say they can last longer. But you cab tell when the seams starts to show bubbles means the silicone is giving to pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 06:30 AM   #3
alton
Registered Member

10 years is not correct

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:03 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

First, don't listen to anything anybody says on youtube unless you 'vet' them first. Too many folks who don't know what they are talking about. Second, usable lifetime on a tank depends a lot on how well it was made. I ran a custom glass tank from 1990 to 2008,then sold it and as far as I know it is still in operation today. But it was really well made. Not sure I'd push a mass-market tank that far, but I'm sure there are many that have lasted 20 years. Often tanks have bubbles in the seams from day one, so its changes you have to look for. Third, re-sealing may be all the rage, but it's structurally useless. If a tank begins to show signs of failure, you have to completely disassemble and rebuild it. Not for the fainthearted.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Clavius78
Registered Member

My tank celebrates its 10th birthday somewhere this year. I wasn't worrying about it until I saw this thread. LOL!

Clavius78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:39 AM   #6
anbosu
Registered Member

I would be willing to bet there is a higher percentage of failures from people re-sealing tanks than from factory finished aquariums on proper stands.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:54 AM   #7
FishN00b83
Registered Member

I'm not sure about the 10 year bit, especially when AGA and Marineland have Limited Lifetime Warranties.

I don't even want to think about transferring a 15 year old SPS 180 to a new box. Where do you even begin?!

Unread 03/29/2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Elricsfate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
First, don't listen to anything anybody says on youtube unless you 'vet' them first. Too many folks who don't know what they are talking about. Second, usable lifetime on a tank depends a lot on how well it was made. I ran a custom glass tank from 1990 to 2008,then sold it and as far as I know it is still in operation today. But it was really well made. Not sure I'd push a mass-market tank that far, but I'm sure there are many that have lasted 20 years. Often tanks have bubbles in the seams from day one, so its changes you have to look for. Third, re-sealing may be all the rage, but it's structurally useless. If a tank begins to show signs of failure, you have to completely disassemble and rebuild it. Not for the fainthearted.
In fairness, the guy he is talking about is well known in the hobby, well respected, and teaches people how to build everything under the sun (including tanks). So it's unlikely he falls under the "doesn't know what he's talking about" column. He may be wrong, but he's not an idiot. And...he also may not be wrong. The fact that one, or two, or a thousand people have tanks older then 10 years, doesn't mean that "the average" lifespan for a tank is not...10 years.

Elricsfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 11:33 AM   #9
elweshomayor
Registered Member

Quote:
I was reading that algae growth is also a sign. My tank has just ripped silicone from the sides from when i use the scraper but they arent all the way to the glass.

I wonder if anyone has a picture reference to see what the actual bubbles looks like lol ( i.e. like ich, but bubbles and on silicone? lol)

Unread 03/29/2017, 11:34 AM   #10
elweshomayor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius78 View Post
My tank celebrates its 10th birthday somewhere this year. I wasn't worrying about it until I saw this thread. LOL!
I wasnt either. I just really enjoy watching JoeyDYI and he had that ONE video. Being the worry wart about my tank that I am... Ofcourse I had to confirm with reef central lol

Unread 03/29/2017, 11:35 AM   #11
elweshomayor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elricsfate View Post
In fairness, the guy he is talking about is well known in the hobby, well respected, and teaches people how to build everything under the sun (including tanks). So it's unlikely he falls under the "doesn't know what he's talking about" column. He may be wrong, but he's not an idiot. And...he also may not be wrong. The fact that one, or two, or a thousand people have tanks older then 10 years, doesn't mean that "the average" lifespan for a tank is not...10 years.
Yeah, this guy is supposed to be an expert in building tanks and has given multiple talks at reef conferences.

Unread 03/29/2017, 11:36 AM   #12
elweshomayor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
I'm not sure about the 10 year bit, especially when AGA and Marineland have Limited Lifetime Warranties.

I don't even want to think about transferring a 15 year old SPS 180 to a new box. Where do you even begin?!
You get a 220 and go from there

Unread 03/29/2017, 11:41 AM   #13
Sk8r
RC Mod

I suspect glass thickness, ergo stress, may have something to do with that. Tank glass that's around half an inch thick doesn't give much under the typical load it contains.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 11:54 AM   #14
vashawn
Registered Member

My 300 was purchase new, now going on to 6-7 years and i have nightmares about waking to a flooded LR.

Current Tank Info: 300gal reef
vashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 12:10 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elricsfate View Post
Did you read what I wrote I said one should 'vet' youtubers and I didn't say he was an idiot - I don't do youtube so no clue who this guy is. Though anyone who advocates 'resealing' (if that is in fact what he even said)has a fundamental misunderstanding of how tanks are built and is immediately 'suspect' in my eyes.

It also depends on what one means by average lifespan. It's not necessarily the same as usable lifetime. If average lifespan includes foolish aquarists, loss of interest, etc., then the average 'lifespan' of a tank is probably much less than 10 years.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 03/29/2017, 12:15 PM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by elweshomayor View Post
Yeah, this guy is supposed to be an expert in building tanks and has given multiple talks at reef conferences.
I am a cynic and a skeptic - and have been keeping reef tanks since 1988. All I am saying is be skeptical. Just because somebody speaks at conferences, doesn't necessarily mean he or she really knows what they are talking about. I know, because I speak at conferences

Unread 03/29/2017, 12:47 PM   #17
Joe0813
Registered Member

I have a 180 marineland..... it's 4 years old now.. I think, I hope it doesn't have a 10 year lifespan

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 12:54 PM   #18
Elricsfate
Registered Member

Quote:
I am a cynic and a skeptic - and have been keeping reef tanks since 1988. All I am saying is be skeptical. Just because somebody speaks at conferences, doesn't necessarily mean he or she really knows what they are talking about. I know, because I speak at conferences
lol

And here you make a valid point, that at the same time, invalidates the suggestion that we "vet" someone. How would I do that?

I hear about a guy, so I say, "Hey, ca1ore, have you heard of this guy?" You say, "Yeah, he's top notch, knows what's up!" But then...I have no idea if YOU know what's up. So I ask Sk8r. He vouches for you...but who vouches for him? lol In the end, unless you already know the topic inside and out...or you slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, it's really hard to know who to believe and who not to believe.

You end up just kinda taking the majority suggestion, trying it for yourself, and going with what you have directly observed working. Or maybe that's just me...

Unread 03/29/2017, 01:06 PM   #19
Elricsfate
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you read what I wrote I said one should 'vet' youtubers and I didn't say he was an idiot - I don't do youtube so no clue who this guy is.
He's "The King of DIY".

You really should check out YouTube. It's an excellent resource.

Unread 03/29/2017, 02:08 PM   #20
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

1st I've heard after 35 years in this hobby that tanks have lifespans. Seems to me that they fail in the first year or two or not at all. Mine is fine after almost 20 years. Only leakers I've had did so within a year of moving them.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 02:13 PM   #21
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you read what I wrote I said one should 'vet' youtubers and I didn't say he was an idiot - I don't do youtube so no clue who this guy is. Though anyone who advocates 'resealing' (if that is in fact what he even said)has a fundamental misunderstanding of how tanks are built and is immediately 'suspect' in my eyes.

It also depends on what one means by average lifespan. It's not necessarily the same as usable lifetime. If average lifespan includes foolish aquarists, loss of interest, etc., then the average 'lifespan' of a tank is probably much less than 10 years.
The guy has quite literally built many huge tanks, DIY'd them all, and has them all in his home. Glass, acrylic, even plywood.

I watched this video a couple weeks ago. He did say reseal but then immediately after said, to do it properly it needs to be completely disassembled and redone.

It starts about 4:20 in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P1shpEO8s&t=450s

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 02:37 PM   #22
elweshomayor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
The guy has quite literally built many huge tanks, DIY'd them all, and has them all in his home. Glass, acrylic, even plywood.

I watched this video a couple weeks ago. He did say reseal but then immediately after said, to do it properly it needs to be completely disassembled and redone.

It starts about 4:20 in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P1shpEO8s&t=450s
Thanks! i was looking for the video that he said that on but I forgot which one it was lol I've been binge watching his videos.

Now i want to breed Discus and have a fish room! lol

Unread 03/29/2017, 03:37 PM   #23
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Picked up a few used tanks a while back. the could not have been a day less than forty. The glass was like old cola bottles (yes that green) and frosted. Still held water, still were sound. I'd be more concerned with a tank that sat around dry, than one that had existed full of water. Also where/how the item was stored would make a big difference too.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 04:58 PM   #24
ericp351
Registered Member

Ask @Paul B. I think his glass box has been up since like 1979.

Current Tank Info: 120g 48X24X24 40g sump, Iwaki md55rlt return w/penductors, Tunze streams, MRC MR-2 skimmer, 1/4 hp chiller, 2 X 250 de. mh, T5 actinics, MRC CR2 calcium reactor, 130lbs lr, 2" sandbed, SPS dominated with some LPS, softies and clams. No longer set up.
ericp351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 05:00 PM   #25
Scubabum
Registered Member

25 years with my Oceanic 58 gallon. No leaks. Knock on wood.

Scubabum is offline   Reply With Quote