Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2017, 11:10 AM   #1
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Red Sea Reefer stand question

I am in the process of building a stand for my cube tank (similar to reefer 170).

Question to all Red Sea Reefer tank owners, is the tank overhanging the stand by 3/4" (I assume that is the thickness of the door)? I like the flush look.

Also, the shelf that holds the sump is indented inwards? by how many inches? I am guessing it is for air flow? Does it help keep the inside of the stand cooler?

I am still debating if I want to do the same for the sump shelf, as making it flush to the side panels will leave only the 1/8" or so clearance for the hinge will have less air flow, but can muffle any noise coming from the sump like skimmer , return pump etc.

final question, how many inches is the sump shelf from the floor?

thanks.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 01:32 PM   #2
TX_Punisher
Registered Member

Not sure on the sump but on the tank I believe all their tanks, I know my 750 does, hangs over the top support by the thickness of the front pane (3/4") so when the doors are closed the front pane is flush with the doors.

Unread 07/14/2017, 02:09 PM   #3
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

thanks for confirming the tank overhang.

for the sump, I meant the edge of the shelf where the sump is sitting is slightly inwards (hence not flush) from the side panels.

also, if you have access to your stand and don't mind, can you please measure how many inches from the floor is the sump shelf and how many inches inwards from the side panel front edge. I want to use the same measurement for my diy stand.

Unread 07/14/2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Blitzer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Punisher View Post
Not sure on the sump but on the tank I believe all their tanks, I know my 750 does, hangs over the top support by the thickness of the front pane (3/4") so when the doors are closed the front pane is flush with the doors.
Yep, tank over hangs by thickness of door to be flush when doors are shut. Sump is flush with bottom of stand so doors don't knock into it when closing

Blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Yep the front of mine is flush with the door so it does hang over

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 06:31 PM   #6
mako61
Registered Member

The doors are about 3/4 inch from the sump shelf. So the side board are the same from the sump edge. The door is pretty flush with the sides when closed.

The sump shelf is about 3.50 from the floor. There is a .25 pad so 3.75 total from floor. There is a gap between the front board and the floor around 1/4 inch. ( for feet )

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 10:57 PM   #7
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

thanks for the replies.

I'm going to start cutting plywood for the stand tomorrow.

I like the red sea tanks. I think they are the best tanks available right now. perhaps better than elos. for now, I will just diy something that looks like it and maybe someday I will get a red sea reefer

I got a used cadlights tank. probably same size as the reefer 170. 10mm glass on sides, and 12mm on the bottom. so I think it should be fine to overhang 3/4" of the front.

Unread 06/13/2018, 12:14 PM   #8
incloud
Registered Member

I just got the 450 and the feet got torn out trying to move it. My floor (hardwood) is not level at all so I am held up on setting up the tank until i get the feet back in place and can level the tank. It's mainly the front that needs to be raised. I need to find someone to help me get the tank down so i can get under the stand. It ways a ton and I haven't been able to get help yet. From the picture above it appears that the feet are held on with tiny nails into particle board. How could that possibly be sufficient to carry the amount of weight the 450 will have when full? Any alternatives?

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 03:06 PM   #9
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

the feet are designed to hold the weight (vertical weight).
the feet are not designed for the cabinet to be dragged across the floor (horizontal force), hence it sheared off. I suppose you can just nail it to another location.

I shimmed my cabinet (also need to raise the front) on two points on left and right side and shimmed the front middle.

Unread 06/16/2018, 09:49 PM   #10
moondoggy4
Registered Member

What kind of plywood are you going to use? Are you going to paint it? Or use a veneer? I will probably need to build a stand as well. I just bought a Reefer Nano tank only.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 11:02 AM   #11
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I used maple plywood from Lowe’s.
I stained it and used veneer edging for the edges. I use it on SCA 45 tank and people who come over thinks it’s a reefer 170.

Stand has drawer.

I'll post more pictures of the finished stand when I get home.

Unread 06/19/2018, 11:10 AM   #12
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

The sump platform is completely removable in case I need to clean water spill that goes under the stand.

The sump stand. The recessed edge rests on the front horizontal piece shown in first picture.

Found some pictures of staining the stand. you can see the plywood edges are finished with iron on veneer (compared to the pictures of unfinished edges in the previous post).

The drawer.

Last edited by d0ughb0y; 06/19/2018 at 11:20 AM.
Unread 06/19/2018, 11:18 AM   #13
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

if you do not have any tools at all, you can get by with just a router and some good router bits and lots of clamps. you can cut plywood using a router guided by edge clamp. You will need the router to finish the edges, and for cutting the hole on top and back. as you can see from the pictures, I used pocket screws, and covered up the holes with dowels. I bought a harbor freight router and it worked just fine. I do have a small craftsman table saw that I used to cut the large plywood. You can probably have it cut at your local lowes or hd if you do not want to deal with a 4'x8' sheet of plywood.

Unread 06/19/2018, 07:43 PM   #14
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Looking good, I like the removable bottom shelf. I have not seen that before. I have almost all the tools I need and I only have to borrow the Kreg System.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote