Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2018, 10:09 AM   #1
reefmutt
Registered Member

Strange invading tunicate

Hey Guys and Gals,
I reefing buddy of mine who runs a commercial system for selling corals and frags has had an invasion of a tiny green tunicate throughout ONLY PART of his system..
He can’t get it to go away. He has sent it to a couple universities for identification and info on how to kill it off but most institutions are more interested in keeping it alive and haven’t been of any help. Actually, most biologists he has talked to tell him how lucky he is to be able to keep and reproduce this ‘difficult to keep’ species of tunicate!!! Not helpful to him, unfortunately...
He has two systems connected to one sump- both have mostly sps in them..
One is lit by a mix of MH, T5 and led. And the other system, where the tunicate didn’t seem to grow is under Radion g4 pros..
I guess it could be as simple as lighting.. but.. could it??

Anyways the tunicate is called:

Dioplosoma virens

Pics..

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 10:23 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
And the other system, where the tunicate didn’t seem to grow is under Radion g4 pros..
I guess it could be as simple as lighting.. but.. could it??
Cool/neat tunicate (but not cool for him)..
It can be as simple as lighting spectrum..
I've seen cases where certain macro algaes are wiped out by simply putting a specific shade filter cloth over the light source just changing the spectrum (or removing a specific band)

If thats working I'd swap lights for a while if possible..

Unread 06/05/2018, 04:58 PM   #3
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Cool/neat tunicate (but not cool for him)..
It can be as simple as lighting spectrum..
I've seen cases where certain macro algaes are wiped out by simply putting a specific shade filter cloth over the light source just changing the spectrum (or removing a specific band)

If thats working I'd swap lights for a while if possible..
Thanks for the response. He told me that in fact they are showing up in the led system but more in the shadows or darker areas.
So, it would seem that the leds must inhibit them, but there is still some element to the system that is making them thrive. .
Has anybody ever seen these in heir system?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote