Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/18/2018, 03:49 PM   #1
tableforglasses
Registered Member

New 300 gallon reef tank fish

So I am setting up a new 300 gallon saltwater reef tank. I have added live rock, live sand and had it set up for several weeks now but I haven't added fish. I know several different types of fish I want to add eventually but the biggest tank I have ever had is a 100 gallon saltwater. Which fish do you think it would be best to start with? I am not looking for cycling fish but fish that will permanently remain in the tank. Thinking about territory and good first starts for a tank of this size.
Thanks for the suggestions.

tableforglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 03:59 PM   #2
on the spot
Registered Member

You said you have a list - let's start with that. no reason to suggest redundancies or catastrophes.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 05:30 PM   #3
tableforglasses
Registered Member

sure, (these are just some I like, also open to suggestions)
Anthias
Some form of clownfish
sixline wrasse
powder blue tang
diamond goby
school of green chromis
fairy wrasse
lunar wrasse
flame angel
Potentially Niger Trigger (I have had luck with them in reef tanks know that is not always the case)

Unread 06/19/2018, 05:09 AM   #4
alton
Registered Member

What about large angels? You could start with either a small juvenile African Emperor Angel or a juvenile Regal Angel? On the Flame try getting a pair?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 11:10 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

If it was me, I would leave the 6-line wrasse off the list. You could do 2-3 dwarf angels and get you couple large angels. And maybe add 2 more tangs to the mix.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 01:29 PM   #6
tableforglasses
Registered Member

I really like the idea of the emperor angel. I also can lose the 6 line wrasse I just like them because they are always out in the open. Any other fish that are good like that?

Unread 06/20/2018, 06:43 AM   #7
scooter31707
Registered Member

I would replace the Niger with a Bluethroat or Redtail Trigger. You can do some of the Hawkfish, foxface, and blennies just to name a few. majestic and/or regal angels are good candidates. You have a lot of options with that size tank. IMO, I would take the Chromis off the list too. Most of the time they kill each other off until they are down to 1.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 07:40 AM   #8
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableforglasses View Post
I really like the idea of the emperor angel. I also can lose the 6 line wrasse I just like them because they are always out in the open. Any other fish that are good like that?
Since we are assuming a large budget Black Tangs are big puppy dogs that are easy going

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A 300 gives you plenty of room for several schools of small fish, like gobies, blennies, grammas, dart fish, cardinals and more. Natural behaviors, schooling and spawning are the rewards.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 06:27 AM   #10
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableforglasses View Post
sure, (these are just some I like, also open to suggestions)
Anthias
Some form of clownfish
sixline wrasse
powder blue tang
diamond goby
school of green chromis
fairy wrasse
lunar wrasse
flame angel
Potentially Niger Trigger (I have had luck with them in reef tanks know that is not always the case)
Do your research on the Anthias, some are hard to keep. The school of green chromis I would nix because you won't end up with a school. The six line can be a mean fish. The rest are okay.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:39 AM   #11
tableforglasses
Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and yes a tank of that size gives me tons or room to work with. I guess I will eliminate the chromis and I do like the blue throat trigger too will look into that. Tank is up and ready to roll with live sand and live rock/base rock just have to complete the sump system!

Unread 06/25/2018, 11:43 AM   #12
JWClark
Registered Member

On the chromis:

From what I have read the "only one" result is due to a school that is too few in size. Think 7 (or 9) was the magic number, above which a linear aggression hierarchy no longer existed, so the the bottom guy is no longer always the focus of everyone's attention until it dies. Pretty sure I saw it here somewhere, but schools greater than this number never dwindled.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 09:33 AM   #13
cjohn214
Registered Member

I would suggest a foxface. Great colors and very cool. Anthias are hard to keep, especially males in my experience. Our bartlett anthias girls did well, but we lost several lyretails. Firefish are also a small fish that adds some variation to a tank. Good luck!

cjohn214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 05:39 PM   #14
ItsGiuliano
Registered Member

I suggest adding a Blonde Naso Tang for sure! It's got lots of colors and it's just so beautiful to watch them swimming back and forth from one side of the aquarium to another. Most tangs will be happy in a 300 gallon aquarium, especially if you buy them at a small/medium size. I agree with eliminating the chromis as they would kill each other until there is one left.. Maybe you could even consider getting a few different kinds of wrasses as well.

ItsGiuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 10:31 PM   #15
Joe0813
Registered Member

Always add tangs last too. Start with some wrasse and anthias

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 09:03 AM   #16
tthouston
Registered Member

Make sure you treat them well before introduce them in the big tank, less headache in the future.

tthouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 12:11 PM   #17
roberthu526
Registered Member

I am in the process of a 300 too and I love angel fish. So I am going to dedicate the tank to SPS only. I know a lot of LPS are relatively safe with angels but I just don’t want to risk it. This is why I also set up a 150 for just LPS. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 08:16 PM   #18
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthu526 View Post
I am in the process of a 300 too and I love angel fish. So I am going to dedicate the tank to SPS only. I know a lot of LPS are relatively safe with angels but I just don’t want to risk it. This is why I also set up a 150 for just LPS. Hope this helps.

I don't know much about angels but I thought a lot of them would eat the polyps off of SPS

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 08:46 PM   #19
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthouston View Post
Make sure you treat them well before introduce them in the big tank, less headache in the future.

You are right. My hope is with a big tank filled with corals, a nip here and there won’t do too much damage. The reader has I have done tells me SPS is the best bet with angels.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 10:46 PM   #20
Steve175
Registered Member

No such thing as a Chromi “school” 7 or 9 or 11 will lead to 11. They are damsals. You have a good list. If you plan to add more than 1 tang add them at the same time. Otherwise, add your list slowly (to build denitrification) and all will he well.

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 04:27 PM   #21
Myles
Registered Member

Never kept one but the lunar wrasse and other wrasse from the same genus have a bad reputation for being aggressive. If you want a large wrasse I've had good luck with bird wrasses (except they eat too fast making it difficult to feed other fish adequately) and a triple fin Maori.
Myles

Unread 07/02/2018, 05:46 PM   #22
earwicker7
Registered Member

Start with fish that hug the rocks.

Next round, do fish that tend to stay in one area of the water column.

Wrap it up with fish which can't sit still and use the whole tank.

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote