Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2017, 02:58 PM   #426
Blue spot
Registered Member

Just had to deal with the grossest thing yet in the tank. A bobbit worm ! This thing must have been 3 ft long . Earlier today I saw something retreat quickly into a hole next to the sand bed . I suspected a bobbit worm from the brief glimps I saw of it . So I got a torch and shone it in the hole , all I could see were segments like an earwig . I was now pretty positive . So I turned off all powerheads and return pumps, waited for calm and hoisted the rock out of the water and went to put the net under. Even though the rock was fully out of the water with the worm in it , its body was still on the sand bed (my tank is 3 foot deep so it had to be bigger than that). At this point panic set in , as I didn't want to touch it with my hand (not that brave) I quickly got the net under it and started to track it back up to the rock. These things are wriggly. It ended up unseremoniusly on the tank screen, until I eventually got it back into the net. I don't normal kill anything in the tank , it normally goes in the sump . But on this occasion it had to go , even though it was just hanging out being the best damn bobbit worm it could be. Sorry I killed it, but glad it's out the tank.

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 04:50 PM   #427
dave.m
Registered Member

How do you know it was a bobbit worm and not just an innocuous bristleworm? (hint: get a close-up image of its head and mouth parts)

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 04:26 AM   #428
Blue spot
Registered Member

100% bobbit . It was the glimps of its mouth that tipped me off. I didn't film getting it (didn't know it was going to be that exciting). But I've got one of it wriggling in the net. I'll post it

Unread 03/20/2017, 04:36 AM   #429
dave.m
Registered Member

It's those wide apart jaws that tell the tale. Bobbit worms are fish eaters. It's the fact that your fish were not disappearing on a regular basis that suggests to me it was just a bristleworm.

Dave.M

Unread 03/20/2017, 09:33 AM   #430
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Here is a video of one of my birstle worms:

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 11:40 AM   #431
eastlake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
It's those wide apart jaws that tell the tale. Bobbit worms are fish eaters. It's the fact that your fish were not disappearing on a regular basis that suggests to me it was just a bristleworm.

Dave.M
My friend and I pulled an 8 footer out of his 700 gallon. It wasn't eating his fish, just pleased as punch to munch on the endless supply of waving hand anthelia that was in the tank.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 12:34 PM   #432
dave.m
Registered Member

This is where you really need to do a minute examination of the mouth parts to see what you're dealing with. Only about 5% of bristleworms are coral eaters.

The bearded fireworm, Hermodice carunculata, is another famous coral eater. It used to be that every time a coral enthusiast pulled a bristleworm out of their tank it just "had" to be H. carunculata. The fact is that these show up very rarely in aquariums. The bobbit worm is even less often seen.

Bristleworms have been pulled out of tanks that were in the tens of feet long. No-one ever realized they were there because most of them are happy to be part of your clean-up crew, hoovering up detrituts, lost food and dead carcases.

Do some research. Google is your friend.

Dave.M

Unread 03/20/2017, 03:06 PM   #433
Blue spot
Registered Member

I have bristle worms, I've had a peanut worm , to me it was a bobbit but I have to say I didn't see the jaws , it looked exactly the same as this video I found on you tube with the tentacles out front and jet black . https://youtu.be/Bp65Dd_A9t0

Unread 03/21/2017, 05:48 AM   #434
dave.m
Registered Member

Those are just bristleworms in the video. You can tell by the commentary they have no clue. Chances are they were benign.

Dave.M

Unread 03/22/2017, 09:54 AM   #435
eastlake
Registered Member

I respectfully disagree. The 5 tentacles near the mouth, to me, are a dead give away that its a eunicid worm and even if it wasn't bothering the fish, assuming there are many different eunicid worms and that not all of them eat fish, it was probably sustaining quietly on your soft corals.

Unread 03/25/2017, 03:12 AM   #436
Blue spot
Registered Member

I think it was eating my clean up crew ? I found a load of shells round it's burrow (I though a fish was placing them their) . Either way , whatever it was I'm glad it's out the tank, I think I've learnt enough now about diseases and critters , if my fish get piles I think I've had everything . Lol

Unread 04/02/2017, 04:07 PM   #437
Blue spot
Registered Member

Just to give a byropsis update , I'm now 1 month from treatment, no return in the main display , but I have seen a small return in the sump where the halogen lighting is. I am still happy with the results from the treatment though , if it should come back I would give it another dose .

Unread 04/10/2017, 02:48 PM   #438
Blue spot
Registered Member

Another byropsis update . It back in my display tank ������. Going to give treatment another go .

Unread 04/10/2017, 05:04 PM   #439
Darthv247
Registered Member

maybe the fish were bringing him shells as an offering to their diety!

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 12:28 PM   #440
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 04/19/2017, 12:30 PM   #441
Blue spot
Registered Member

finally put some re-scape pictures on

Unread 04/21/2017, 06:57 AM   #442
eastlake
Registered Member

beautiful aquarium, how does that filefish behave with the corals?

Unread 04/21/2017, 05:06 PM   #443
Blue spot
Registered Member

No problem with anything except crabs, I have read that they will eat fish and everything but mines realy good, I do feed her a prawn once a week though.

Unread 05/05/2017, 01:11 PM   #444
Blue spot
Registered Member

More bad news on the blue spot tank. I've had velvet , and byropsis is back . The velvet for some reason affected all my angel fish mainly . so I have lost a few fish , nearly 50% . Very sad , some fish I have had since My old aquarium, the one I'm realy gutted about is my stary blenny and my blue spot. Also my long standing venustus angel , the only one that is still showing signs of velvet is the gold flake , and it was realy touch and go with the moorish idol . Luckily I think she's pulled through .
So now that my fish have gone and my byropsis is back I am definitely starting again. My lfs is going to keep my remaining fish for me (I'm just going to give it a few months for everything to settle) then I'm going to remove all rack and coral, treat with copper , get the fish out , get the water out . Sterilise the tank and go for it again !

Unread 05/18/2017, 10:03 AM   #445
Blue spot
Registered Member

So the deaths have all finished . I managed to keep all of my remaining fish . I've ordered some more byropsis treatment , so I am going to give that a try at a higher dose . If that doesn't do it , Then I am going to restart . ;0

Unread 07/17/2017, 03:41 PM   #446
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi folks . Sorry I have not updated for a while but we have been concentrating on our dog maddy . I know this is a fish post but it's Sad news . Maddy started to have seizures a few months ago, we had her brain scanned but nothing conclusive showed, we managed her seizures for a while on medication and went away on holiday with her . Perfect 2 weeks , no seizures and the old Maddy was back, on her very last day she would not stop peeing took her to the vet as she was being treated for sistitus , turned out to be bladder cancer . We were all with her when we had to let her go . Absolutely devastating �� , she was such a huge character and part of our family

Last edited by Blue spot; 07/17/2017 at 04:01 PM.
Unread 07/19/2017, 12:57 PM   #447
Blue spot
Registered Member

Tank update. Byropsis second treatment done, and so far so good. Other developments new skimmer added , my skimz finally gave in, but up to now it has been pretty impressive , this time I have gone for a NYos quantum . Lighting , this is a big one. Finally figured out I had my lights to close to the water surface , moved them 10 inches higher than previous. Although this let out a little glare above the tank my coral is finally starting to see the benefit from it and without the competition from the byropsis , it's looking pretty good. Fish that were left are all doing good , though when I came back from holiday my tasseled file fish was gone . With everything else going on i didn't ask what had happened whilst I was away , but I did find its skeleton. So that will have to remain a mystery , nothing weird showed up on my apex so I figure it must have swam into the nem or possibly got stuck on the power head or somthing ??? I will try and get a picture update next time .

Unread 07/20/2017, 05:03 PM   #448
vitodog
Registered Member

Please accept my sympathy regarding Maddy. I had to put my 11 year old Boxer down this past September. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

Unread 07/21/2017, 08:07 AM   #449
Blue spot
Registered Member

Cheers Vito, it is truly Terrible, I never cry , but on this occasion I cried for three days solid ,didn't eat for 7 and eventually ended up in hospital ...... I may have taken it a little to far but that being said I would not have been without her , sure you feel the same about your boxer.

Unread 07/21/2017, 08:33 AM   #450
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
Hi folks . Sorry I have not updated for a while but we have been concentrating on our dog maddy . I know this is a fish post but it's Sad news . Maddy started to have seizures a few months ago, we had her brain scanned but nothing conclusive showed, we managed her seizures for a while on medication and went away on holiday with her . Perfect 2 weeks , no seizures and the old Maddy was back, on her very last day she would not stop peeing took her to the vet as she was being treated for sistitus , turned out to be bladder cancer . We were all with her when we had to let her go . Absolutely devastating �� , she was such a huge character and part of our family

I know how you feel mang. We just lost our beloved boxer "Puffer" after nearly 11 years. Put him to sleep 2 days ago, had a seizure, couldnt snap out/too far gone. Devastating is an understatement! It's been so empty around the house. Hang in there.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8ft, blue spot, new tank, reef