Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2020, 07:54 AM   #1
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Reef roids

What's the best time of day to feed the roids in my tank? It will only be dispersed as no way to target feed yet.

1 what time is best?
2 I turn off my skimmer, it has a 10 minute shut off, is that long enough? How long should I leave it off for?
3 should I leave pumps on?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

First a quick way to target feed.

Get a cheep turkey baster, A section of tubing, and a plastic water bottle with a hole drilled in the cap and the bottom cut off. Put the tubing on the baster on one end and the other end goes into the water bottle hole. Pup some water from the tank in the baster with some roids re cap it and shake it up. Place the bottle over the coral and shoot some roids. Let the bottle sit for a little bit then move on to the next coral.

Now as to when. I feed every couple days. Also I feed about two hours before lights out. For the first few months, I did as stated above. Now that my corals are used to feeding time, they start extending feeders out around that time. I just use the blaster now and shoot some at the coral. I leave my flow pumps on, but shut down my skimmer and return pump. I leave them off for about ten minutes after I'm done feeding.

Unread 09/29/2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Alex114
Registered Member

I feed at a similar time. Once a week about an hour before lights off. I shut my skimmer and power head off for spot feeding with a turkey baster but leave the return pump on. Maybe that’s not a bad idea to turn that off though

Alex114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2020, 06:55 AM   #4
Timfish
Registered Member

I would advise against it until you have more experience and can target feed. How well corals respond to feeding is very dependent both on species and amount being feed. Here's a paper by University of Hawai'i shwoing the difficulties in determiniung how much and who to feed.

https://www.academia.edu/1647139/Cor...tificial_foods

Unread 10/01/2020, 04:26 AM   #5
Axel33
Registered Member

what other things do you guys feed with Reef roids? I've been using phyto as well as red sea AM+ for amino acids.

Axel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2020, 05:10 PM   #6
RioReefr
Registered Member

Personally, I just use a basic plastic pipette and turn off the pumps for 5 minutes. Mix 1/4 teaspoon with just some drops of water until it forms a paste to suck it up with the pipette. I feed all my corals with a little bit of the paste. Most corals will draw it in for about 5 minutes. Then turn the pumps back on. What is left blows around the tank and the fish/shrimp seem to peck at the rest. I think it a MUST-have products to use.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote