Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Laith
Registered Member

How many Hydra 52 HDs or Radion XR30w G4 Pros do I need?

I'm starting the planning of a new reef tank (sps dominated) that will be 200cm long (78.75"), 70cm wide (27.5") and 60cm deep (23.6").

I'm looking at either the Radion XR30w G4 Pro or the AI Hydra 52 HD to put over the tank. I want good coverage, minimum shadowing and good PAR throughout the tank.

I know what the specs say for these lights but I get the impression that one needs more of the lights to get what I want as compared to the official coverage information.

Can anyone who is using either of these lights give me their estimate of how many units I would need and which direction they would have to be mounted?

Many thanks!

Laith

P.S. The third lighting option on my list is the Orphek Atlantik. Any input on that would also be welcome!

1,650l tank, 5x GHL Mitras LX7206s, 4x Tunze 6255s, 2x Tunze 6155s, 2x Gyre 350s, RE Bubble King 200, managed by Profilux 4
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Wazzel
Registered Member

I run hydra 52's, non-HD. Realistic coverage is about 24" in the long axis and about 18" in the short axis.

If it were me, I would run the long axis front to back and place them on 18" centers. Looks like you will need 4 or 5 units.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Potatohead
Registered Member

Agree on five

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 01:31 AM   #4
Laith
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, five seems to be the consensus from most people I've talked to, with upgradability to six if/when the tank is packed with corals.

The only one that recommended three was Aquaillumination themselves, quoting a 30" x 30" coverage per Hydra. I didn't think this was realistic.

The Orphek Atlantiks look like great lights (I'm currently using one of their earlier models) but their form factor makes it difficult to light a tank like this one.

Laith

1,650l tank, 5x GHL Mitras LX7206s, 4x Tunze 6255s, 2x Tunze 6155s, 2x Gyre 350s, RE Bubble King 200, managed by Profilux 4
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 07:18 AM   #5
Wazzel
Registered Member

The units will throw light on an unobstructed 30x30 panel. The problem is with the single axis diode clusters light gets blocked easily by rocks, corals and what not. I ran my 60 on one hydra52 for about a year before I started to get shading from coral growth.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:45 AM   #6
mfarris2
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
I'm starting the planning of a new reef tank (sps dominated) that will be 200cm long (78.75"), 70cm wide (27.5") and 60cm deep (23.6").

I'm looking at either the Radion XR30w G4 Pro or the AI Hydra 52 HD to put over the tank. I want good coverage, minimum shadowing and good PAR throughout the tank.

I know what the specs say for these lights but I get the impression that one needs more of the lights to get what I want as compared to the official coverage information.

Can anyone who is using either of these lights give me their estimate of how many units I would need and which direction they would have to be mounted?

Many thanks!

Laith

P.S. The third lighting option on my list is the Orphek Atlantik. Any input on that would also be welcome!

Get this! Just found out,.....AI and Ecotech,....same company and same tech support people. I would buy either now.
Now I am going to check into Orphek Atlantik, you were looking at or Kessil cans. (Horrible,.....horrible,...multiple failures with Ecotech Gen 4 Pros.

mfarris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 07:10 PM   #7
mal7887
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris2 View Post
Get this! Just found out,.....AI and Ecotech,....same company and same tech support people. I would buy either now.
They merged a little while back.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 07:48 AM   #8
MeoMat
Registered Member

I run a 180x70x55 cm tank with 3x HD52 lamps, mixted reef with easy sps in upper part (loisettae, milka, caliendrum and others) but very big colonies.

I run at 100% of available power. I think adding a 4th lamp would be better for coverage, but at this time is'nt planned any updgrade.

MeoMat is offline   Reply With Quote