Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2018, 04:46 AM   #1
clownhunter
Registered Member

New DI resin HELP!!

My RO membrane was replaced with spectrapures 99% on my rodi unit. It was also time to replace my DI resin. So I refilled a container from BRS and added new resin. I also replaced my carbon and micron filter. Flushed the carbon for 30 mins and then flushed the RO membrane for 30 mins. Time to start making water. Reading of 5 after new RO membrane and a reading of 10 after DI. Assumed resin expired. Replaced resin again. Still getting a reading of 9/10. Assumed cartridge was ready to be replaced. Replaced that and ordered a new bag of resin. Still getting a reading slightly higher then after RO still far from 0. Figured I was doing something wrong so I ordered a pre-made di resin filter from BRS. Still getting reading of 6/7 now after RO. I have two carbon filter housings and I took one out to try as a di housing and still didn't help. What is going on??

clownhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 05:20 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Explain how you measure TDS. (Testing from bucket, directly to cup, in line meter)
Is your meter working (ie has it been calibrated)
Is your holding bucket clean?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 05:29 AM   #3
clownhunter
Registered Member

Total of three ways I measure tds. Inline in/out. I also have a spare inline for my rodi that i took out of storage and even hooked that up to the out side. Then i also have a handheld tds meter. I have a red solo cup that i keep solo for when i use my handheld meter. I rinse it a few times then collect and test.

Unread 06/19/2018, 06:14 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Poor quality resin is all that’s left.
Under 10 not going to hurt your tank, but the number should be 1-2 after DI

Unread 06/19/2018, 06:17 AM   #5
clownhunter
Registered Member

Thanks for responses.
Thats the only thing I can think of is the resin I keep using is bad. I contacted BRS and they disagree. The new resin from them came today and I installed it immediately and I still can't get the tds to 0 after di. I may have to try spectra pure resin or any recommendations on resin?

Unread 06/19/2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Final TDS is relative to what comes out of the tap. So example, my tap is 156, and my final TDS 1-3ppm, but if I use the same setup at my mothers house which is in an older part of the city, it 189 out of the tap and my final TDS there is 7-9.

What's TDS straight out of the tap?
Have you ever achieved zero TDS from this location?

Unread 06/19/2018, 11:47 AM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Something is wrong. I have TDS of 254 out of tap. I use the Spectrapure 99% and a sediment filter and carbon prior to the RO. TDS after RO is 2 and 0 after DI (purchased from BRS). I use a single TDS inline meter for water prior to sediment filter and a dual meter for after RO and after DI

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 12:29 PM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownhunter View Post
Reading of 5 after new RO membrane and a reading of 10 after DI.
So we know something is wrong because I have never heard of new resin causing more TDS.
I ordered a pre-made di resin filter from BRS. Still getting reading of 6/7 now after RO.
If its 5 into the di and 10 out according to the meter and you are sure thats correct. Maybe a mistake was made hooking it up?

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Something is wrong. I have TDS of 254 out of tap. I use the Spectrapure 99% and a sediment filter and carbon prior to the RO. TDS after RO is 2 and 0 after DI (purchased from BRS). I use a single TDS inline meter for water prior to sediment filter and a dual meter for after RO and after DI
It largely depends on how your water is treated, what chemicals were used in th e process and how it’s being deliverer to you, of course, this varies widely.

The fact that you get 0 out of 254 is testament to your water purification process.

Unread 06/19/2018, 01:42 PM   #10
clownhunter
Registered Member

Resolved.

The top of the new DI resin cartridge was smashed and cracked and I just noticed it now. I had an extra top gasket from an old cartridge and I placed that on top of the new cartridge and gasket. Bam 0 tds. I believe that the di resin cartridge was not fitting correctly and water was flowing freely out the chamber. The extra gasket made a tight seal and now i can see the water traveling through the resin. I contacted BRS with pictures and I believe they are send me a new one. Thank you all.

Unread 06/19/2018, 01:42 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
It largely depends on how your water is treated, what chemicals were used in th e process and how it’s being deliverer to you, of course, this varies widely.

The fact that you get 0 out of 254 is testament to your water purification process.
I am on a well and there is a water softener before the RO/DI. I also pump the water to a 52 gallon holding tank after RO in order to de-gass it for excessive CO2 which is a DI resin killer.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 04:34 PM   #12
Drewbe147
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I am on a well and there is a water softener before the RO/DI. I also pump the water to a 52 gallon holding tank after RO in order to de-gass it for excessive CO2 which is a DI resin killer.
I am on well water as well and burning thru DI rapidly. I am assuming it’s a CO2 problem. Any other ways of removing CO2 without pumping to a holding tank then thru the DI? Is there another type of filter I can add like adding more cans and different filters before DI chamber? I have a handheld tds meter reading source water from a glass at 60tds (donno how accurate the meter is its from amazon for $10) then a inline in/out meter on the BRS unit. The “in” side after RO and running off the creep only drops to 9 TDS which is then polished off by my DI resin to 0 but my DI only lasts me around 100gals of 0 tds water probably...unless this is a normal consumption? Seems like it should last longer than that which is why I am thinking CO2 issue. Sry if I highjacked the thread here.

Drew

Current Tank Info: 90 gal DT 29gal sump. Equipment: 2 OR T247B, RO Varios6 return, RO 150SSS, 2 XF250 Gyres, Jager 300W
Drewbe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 05:10 PM   #13
lapin
Registered Member

The DI resin is one of those methods to remove C02 from water. There are commercial solutions but they are not practical for the home user. Raising the pH above 8.5 by injecting soda ash can do it, but im not sure you want to do that either. De gassing with an air bubbler is the most common way.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote