Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2018, 08:50 AM   #1
keith10
Registered Member

The search for perfect Water

First, It's been a while since I visited. This site has been an incredible help to me during me Reef building career. I want to thank everyone for your help.

Ok, Although my Pars are pretty darn good, (amm. 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10, Salt. 1.240, Calcium 420) I'm looking for better water. I know I should have a sump, but that is not an option at this time.

Would it be better to add another Canister filter, or a HOB skimmer. I could do either one.

Any opinions would be certainly appreciated.

Unread 06/13/2018, 09:04 AM   #2
timnem70
Registered Member

As long as you're working towards getting "better" more effective and most importantly REEF speciific equipment, you're alright. SG is a bit low but to each their own. I don't wanna be the bearer of crappy news but without more water volume for good bacteria to grow (a canister is not that) and a place for skimming and whatever else you wanna do, (you will be cleaning out detritus and whatever else gets trapped in that dark, oxygen depleted space in a canister) have a better chance of it. Not to mention stability of water and elements therin. Afer all, stability and happy creatures are my personal measure of "perfect water". Canister filters are primarily used for freshwater applications and although it willl work for a while, your post is asking about better water/ Perfect water. Save your cash and get that equipment. You will be so happy you did in the long run and have a much easier time keeping animals thriving for longer periods.
Best luck to you and show us some pics. Have a good one!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 09:05 AM   #3
timnem70
Registered Member

Sorry misread SG at first. You're good

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 09:23 AM   #4
sde1500
Registered Member

Hard to really provide you directions without knowing more. To start with, what are you using to define "better"? Also, I'm sure you mean 1.024, or your tank is dead and I can see why you want better water

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 09:35 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If your definition of "perfect" is zero nitrates and phosphates you would be dead wrong....

Unread 06/13/2018, 09:37 AM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

It would be nice to know if there is a specific issue you are having with your tank, or are you in search of a solution to a problem that does not exist. I would recommend raising your salinity to something closer to natural sea water's salinity of 1.0265

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 10:21 AM   #7
keith10
Registered Member

Thanks for all your replies. I guess the best thing to do is maybe try a DYI sump. I don't have a lot u of room under the tank. It is a 36 inch tank. It would probably take a 20 gallon aquarium made into a sump. That would be the best option ... Agreed?

Unread 06/13/2018, 10:23 AM   #8
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith10 View Post
Agreed?
No, because we literally have no idea what you are looking to do here.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 11:01 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
No, because we literally have no idea what you are looking to do here.
So funny..
"thanks for all the replies.. I really didn't read nor understand a single one but I'm dead set on thinking I need a sump... agreed?"

@keith10 your posted numbers (salinity typo of 1.240 assumed to be 1.024) are all totally fine...
No tank needs a sump or canister filter or skimmer to be successful..
Is there a specific problem you are having or are you just looking for something to spend time/money on?

Unread 06/13/2018, 11:09 AM   #10
nereefpat
Registered Member

It looks like you are keeping some stony corals, so I would start testing for alk before I did anything else.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 11:14 AM   #11
rustyjames
EMT-B

Agree that no tank "needs" a sump or skimmer. I'm assuming at this point if you added a sump you'd be using a u tube style overflow. I ran one back in the day for almost two years without incident but I was nervous every time I came home and checked the tank.

Current Tank Info: 20 long
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 01:25 PM   #12
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I guess the bottom line is...

Do what you feel is best for your system. If it were me, and my tank was not drilled, I would add a HOB skimmer to the tank. That will at least remove a lot of the "nastiness". Having a sump does not automatically mean better water, it simply gives you more water volume, which can lead to more stability. It also gives you a place to put all of your equipment that is not in the main display.

If your tank is, or can easily be, drilled then add a sump. I also have a 40B with a 20L DIY sump. Once the sump is done, you can get a skimmer and any other equipment you want and put it in there.

If you choose not to add any equipment to the tank, you can still be VERY successful if you regularly test ALL params and stay on top of regular water changes.

I hope this helps clarify a little bit. Good luck.

Unread 06/13/2018, 02:10 PM   #13
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith10 View Post
better water.
Are you looking to polish your water? I use 50-micron filter pad like this if I have a "guest" come over and it make the water look crystal-clear. Between that and taking a razor blade to the inside glass makes everything "look" good, but not necessarily good.

https://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Fil...water+aquarium

Shooting for 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates isn't always a good thing without taking into account water flow, lightning and other water parameters.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote