Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Devaji108
Registered Member

spiral wire coral info needed

Hey guys I am very slowly entering the NPS world. I am a big fan for gorgs. hope to get some NPS finger gorgs soon as well as spiral wire corals.

it's my understanding the some (spiral wire) are NPS and some are somewhat photosynthetic??
any info on this coral would be great. pics, feeding, where to buy etc. would love to add it to my tank!

cheers

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 08:12 AM   #2
laga77
Registered Member

There is some debate to weather all Cirrhipathes are NPS, some might be a little photosynthetic. I have six pieces in my two reef tanks. Some are in light and some are not. I have not seen much difference if they need the light or not. What they do need is good flow and food. If you want a healthy, growing, specimen, you need to feed it almost daily. I use live BBS along with frozen items like cyclopleeze, reef plankton, and small mysis. Even finely chopped blender mush works.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 10:46 PM   #3
Devaji108
Registered Member

I have and will be getting more gorgs. and a few NPS ones down the road and some wire coral. could I auto dose BRS reef chili a few times a day?

Unread 05/12/2016, 07:55 AM   #4
laga77
Registered Member

I don`t know, I target feed all my NPS and Gorgs. Whenever I tried broadcast feeding I had problems with excess nutrients.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
Unread 05/12/2016, 10:23 AM   #5
Devaji108
Registered Member

ah that makes since. really was thinking when out of town. sometimes I travel for several weeks to a month once a year. guess i'll just have to teach tank caretaker to spot feed.

so how much and how often do you feed? and what are you feeding?

Unread 05/13/2016, 06:54 AM   #6
laga77
Registered Member

Spirals and Gorgs get live BBS, Cyclo-pleeze, and San Francisco Brand Reef Plankton target fed 2-3 times a day. Sun corals get live Black Worms and White Worms along with blender mush of oysters, clams, shrimp, and salmon every other day. I do not feed dry foods of any kind to corals or fish because there are more bad ingredients than good in them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (106.2 KB, 36 views)

Unread 05/21/2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Devaji108
Registered Member

thanks I am very limited on live food as I live in the middle of now where.
so BRS reef chili and I think I might make some blender mush.
how much do you make at a time?
ratios?

oh and where can i get wire corals?

Unread 05/26/2016, 07:51 AM   #8
laga77
Registered Member

Been away. I try to make enough mush to last a month. Any longer and it tends to get freezer burned. Good luck finding the Wire corals, they are difficult to find at best. I go around to shops asking if they can get any and leave my number for them to call me back. If you do this, be prepared to pay a premium as they know you really want the corals.

Unread 05/29/2016, 11:11 AM   #9
calk me Q
Registered Member

Cirrhipathes are NPS however they embed sybion algae...
They seem to have a very good ability to rebounce. Mine was taken home with a lot of tissue shedded however after a day or two with proper feedings and flow they grow back onto the skeleton and swell even better.
I got a auto pump to feed every 2 hours of dry food awa bbs and fresh water copepod

calk me Q is offline   Reply With Quote