Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2018, 03:16 PM   #1
FortyFour
Registered Member

Question What would you add?

Looking for stocking advice. Softies and LPS. I’ve read countless threads and have some ideas, but would appreciate input from anyone willing to play along. I’m trying to avoid some obvious mistakes, which I am prone to.

Current setup:

Red Sea Reefer 525XL (110G, 30G sump). 3 AI Hydra 26 HD LED. 2 Maxspect Gyres. Vertex 180i Skimmer. Ecotech M1 return pump. Carbon reactor. BRS RODI. 5G refugium for pod reproduction. APEX. Auto feeder. Established June 2018, so willing to ease into it.

Current stock:

Pair of clowns
Melenarus wrasse
Flame hawkfish
Watchman goby

Wishlist:
Yellow tang
Midas Benny
Couple more wrasses
Royal gramma
Pistol shrimp?

Would like another mainpiece fish
Don’t really want to gamble on an angel
Low maintenance fish preferred, although I have an auto feeder.
Wife prefers the signature body types (butterfly, angel, surgeon fish) but I’m trying to avoid high maintenance, coral eaters, and low-success types.

Thanks for any input!

FortyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Jason9488
Registered Member

Like tang?

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 05:24 PM   #3
FortyFour
Registered Member

Yes but not sure if I’d add a second to this tank. Maybe.

Unread 09/13/2018, 08:00 AM   #4
FortyFour
Registered Member

Any stocking advice please?

Unread 09/13/2018, 09:26 AM   #5
sacremon
Registered Member

foxface rabbit? I know some have encountered ones that nibble on coral, but that seems to be a "if that particular individual fish is into that" kind of thing.

Unread 09/13/2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Foxface might be like adding a second tang. If you go this route, put in 2 algae clips at opposite ends of the tank. I think foxface and tang is an either/or, not both in your tank. Plus 2 large yellow fish may not be the look you are going for.

I have never tried a pistol shrimp with a hawk. I had a coral banded shrimp (larger one) that peacefully lived with my flame hawk for 11 years.

I don’t see any problems with your wish list. A few other thoughts, only listing fish I have personal experience with:
- Orchid dottyback
- Cherub angel or coral beauty- I have not had problems with either with corals and they fit your shape interest
- when mature I think your setup could handle one mandarin, but I have to note that mine is the fish you are least likely to see so while the appearance is centerpiece, it is never in the center...
- pearly jawfish, but that might be a bit much with a goby and a blennie

I like the signature shapes too, but it seems like a lot of them are not well mixed or need more space. The wrasses add a lot of movement and color.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 02:25 PM   #7
FortyFour
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly clownfish View Post
Foxface might be like adding a second tang. If you go this route, put in 2 algae clips at opposite ends of the tank. I think foxface and tang is an either/or, not both in your tank. Plus 2 large yellow fish may not be the look you are going for.

I have never tried a pistol shrimp with a hawk. I had a coral banded shrimp (larger one) that peacefully lived with my flame hawk for 11 years.

I don’t see any problems with your wish list. A few other thoughts, only listing fish I have personal experience with:
- Orchid dottyback
- Cherub angel or coral beauty- I have not had problems with either with corals and they fit your shape interest
- when mature I think your setup could handle one mandarin, but I have to note that mine is the fish you are least likely to see so while the appearance is centerpiece, it is never in the center...
- pearly jawfish, but that might be a bit much with a goby and a blennie

I like the signature shapes too, but it seems like a lot of them are not well mixed or need more space. The wrasses add a lot of movement and color.
Thanks for the note. I’ve had an orchid dottyback, so that might work. I agree it might be pushing it with the tang and rabbit fish. Maybe if I get them small enough?

I don’t think I’ll go the angel route, because there are so many beautiful fish to choose from that have a zero percent chance of eating corals.

I’m also looking into sapphire damsels. A little reluctant due to mixed reviews.

Unread 09/13/2018, 02:50 PM   #8
FortyFour
Registered Member

How about adding a Kole tang with the yellow? Is a 5ft 110G big enough for that?

Unread 09/15/2018, 09:47 AM   #9
FortyFour
Registered Member

Deciding against the Kole with the Yellow in the 110G.

Updated stocking list:

Melenarus wrasse (current)
Flamehawk (current)
Perc clown pair (current)
Yellow watchman goby (current)
3 sapphire damsels
Yellow tang
Midas blenny
Carpenter wrasse
McCosker wrasse
Royal gramma
Pistol shrimp

Always interested in thoughts on other of your favorite potential additions. Thank you.

Unread 09/16/2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Cliving1
Registered Member

Could do a cardinal, black cap basslet or royal gramma, longnose hawk, swap a tang for a butterfly. I would skip the damsels.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 10:17 AM   #11
sacremon
Registered Member

I had the same feeling about the damsels, viscerally. They are typically such aggressive fish. I refuse to have them in my tank, including their relatives the clowns. Part of that is due to them being small enough that they might be viewed as food by some of the existing stock, but more due to their outright territoriality.

Butterfly... my experience is that they really need to be fed multiple times a day. That's fine if you are up for that (I work from home so can readily do that) but not everyone is. I suppose if you had a real good sized refugium with amphipods and other small crustaceans you can get by with manually feeding once per day. I suppose an automatic feeder that gives a small amount of food out would work for multiple feedings as well.

Unread 09/16/2018, 11:51 AM   #12
FortyFour
Registered Member

I’ve always felt the same exact way about damsels, but I’ve come across a ton of threads and literature about the sapphires specifically that have me considering them.

I haven’t considered a butterfly but I’ll start looking into it. They are incredibly beautiful. The yellow tang has been a top choice for a number of reasons, including its grazing characteristics.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Unread 02/23/2019, 12:12 AM   #13
FortyFour
Registered Member

Update (made some additions)

Flamehawk (current)
2 sapphire damsels (current)
Midas blenny (current)
McCosker wrasse (current)

Yellow tang (will be last addition)

Contiplating: clown goby, yellow wrasse, royal gramma

Unread 02/23/2019, 05:00 AM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

Mandarin pair, Watanabei angel pair, Eight line flasher

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2019, 02:58 PM   #15
FortyFour
Registered Member

Update (LA fish on the way)

Flamehawk (current)
2 sapphire damsels (current)
Midas blenny (current)
McCosker wrasse (current)
*Yellow wrasse (on the way)
*Carpenters wrasse (on the way)
*Yellow tang (on the way, last addition)

My QT process includes a Safety Stop dip (Melev’s Reef), and 2 rounds of prazi pro while in observation.

I intro fish into my DT using an acclimation box (1-2 days) and then lights off (1-2 days).