Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/29/2012, 02:25 PM   #1
GusDiaz
Registered Member

RX-6 Duo Calcium Reactor Pump

Hi all,

I have a Vertex RX-6 Duo Calcium Reactor. In my opinion, due to the poor design of the pump, the exit plastic cap only secures to the pump with 2 lips. This design makes the pump extremely susceptible of breaking one (or both) of the lips that allows this section to do pressure against the pump.

I have been talking with Premium Aquatics about this problem, but apparently the part does not come by itself and the entire pump has to be replaced. I still do not know if this is warranty or if I have to pay for the pump.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to see if anybody has done a modification to another pump that is able to be screwed in (or threaded in) instead of utilizing the original design that I think is prone to fatigue and failure in the long run. My fear is that disregard of me changing this pump for another Vertex pump, I will have in the future the same problem and therefore I would like to see if someone has done a modification on the pump.

I was thinking of substituting the pump for a Mag-drive pump of similar output. The intake and outtake appear to be placed at about the correct direction and angles.

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 155 Gallon Reef Tank & 30 Gallon Sump
GusDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

There really isn't any way to do a modification to the front pump cover, since this is how the plastic is molded during the manufacturing of the pump. The area requires pretty tight tolerances and is not typically something that is easy to DIY due to this.

I'm not sure who you've been talking with here but we should be able to track youdown a replacement front pump cover. Feel free to email me directly to jeremy@premiumaquatics.com.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2012, 01:59 PM   #3
GusDiaz
Registered Member

I will try tis weekend a mod on my Vertex rx6 duo. I was able to save the inlet and outlet portions of the pump and I will try to adjust another brand pump to it. I will let you know during the weekend how this modification goes.

Current Tank Info: 155 Gallon Reef Tank & 30 Gallon Sump
GusDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 10:51 PM   #4
JaYsReEf619
Registered Member

I know this is a old thread but were you able to find a different brand pump to work for the reactor?

JaYsReEf619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Germanwerks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaYsReEf619 View Post
I know this is a old thread but were you able to find a different brand pump to work for the reactor?
I know this is an old thread but I have the same reactor however mine did not come with a pump at all, after numerous try's of getting ahold of the actual pump from vertex what I ended up doing was tapping the reactor fitting with 1/2inch npt and putting barbed fittings. From that point you can choose your pump of liking. Me I chose a sicce silent 2.0 pump. Sofar so good

Current Tank Info: 300 gal , 180gal sump
Germanwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2016, 05:32 AM   #6
Jose.hern
Registered Member

Hello there. I recently got an RX 6DUO from some I know, when I tried to hook it all up, I noticed water overflowing through the PH probe holder. I've read on other threads that I might be missing and O-ring that wraps around the probe that prevents water from exiting. The guy I got the reactor from doesn't have it, so my biggest question is, where can I get this O-ring?

Jose.hern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 01:25 PM   #7
jasonfrey
Sponsor

We can probably special order you that O'ring, or you could probably just get some teflon tape and wrap around your ph probe to make it a tight snug fit and would keep that from leaking.

jasonfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 04:35 PM   #8
bushnell
Registered Member

My pump burnt up for my rx6 duo. I was told the pump has been discontinued. Has anyone found a replacement pump that can be used?

bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 12:09 PM   #9
ryanerickson
Registered Member

Bump also looking for a friend gotta be something to replace it .

ryanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 08:56 PM   #10
Bob Nell
Registered Member

I had same problem. I think Coralvue sells metric / US fittings to adapt to another brand pump, but I never followed up and bought a different reactor.

Bob Nell is offline   Reply With Quote