Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2017, 09:42 AM   #1
stinkyreef
Registered Member

Adding frag tank to main system

So I am in the process of adding a frag tank. This tank I am using consists of 3 separate 10g tanks in one unit. One of them will become a nano tank to house fish that can't be in the main tank. I had a beaten up Bangaii cardinal that started this whole adventure. the other 2 will be mini frag tanks until I setup one of those 50g Zoomed frag tanks. Hopefully by the fall. So I want to add some sand and dry rock to this nano. It will eventually become live sand but do I want to add live sand right off the bat or get dry sand, rinse the heck out of it and use that? I don't want to cause an uproar in my main display as everything is going well.

stinkyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 01:58 PM   #2
organism
code monkey

Whether you get dead sand or live sand in a bag it's still likely to have some die-off, so it might be a good idea to make sure everything is fully cycled before connecting it to your display with corals in it. Personally I wouldn't go putting a bunch of new sand of any kind into a system that's already running unless it had been in a bucket for a month or two first.

Unread 01/31/2017, 09:18 AM   #3
stinkyreef
Registered Member

Wouldn't it be like adding a refugium to the main system?
Im only talking 10 lbs of sand and some dry reef ready rocks. Also will be rinsing the heck out of it with ro. I appreciate the info from you. Thanks

stinkyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 07:06 AM   #4
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

what he is basically saying is that adding a large amount of sand, rock or both could cause the tank to fall back into a state of cycling again. in reality it's best to probably just cycle the rock & sand on their own before hand in a tub.

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Cajunreefer87
Registered Member

Not even could you have to worry about a cycle, every time that I have ever added new uncycled sand to a system algae tends to follow. Dry rock is know for algae as well, I throw 25 pounds of dry rock away because of it.

Cajunreefer87 is offline   Reply With Quote