Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Jason31
Registered Member

Can you Peel back GSPs and glue them onto rock?

so i started a project which is detailed here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2627533

and i need to know if you can peel off GSPs that are on a plate rock and then superglue the purple mat onto another rock. the plate rock they are on now make it too high for my liking but i dont know if this will kill or hurt the GSP when doing so. or if it'll even stick to the rock w/ superglue.

heres a pic of what i'm doing:

you can see the plate rock under the GSP which is a cm thick

Jason31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 05:48 PM   #2
chaudhry
Registered Member

You can. But it is hard to peel off GSP in one piece.
Take a blade and carefully work your way through the sheet. It will come off in small pieces and you can stick those pieces close to each other on the new rock with cyanoacrylate glue. Once GSP with start growing in new location, it will cover the gaps nicely.
More mature the gsp is the easier it is to peel it off, as it keeps getting thicker.
Usually gsp on the edges gets lost as that part is the newest one and very fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chaudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Optionman
Registered Member

it looks like you have some Xenia to the right of the GSP. you can expect that to eventually spread out of control too.

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you want to culture gsp, put it next to your side glass. It's REAL easy to peel it off glass, cut it in bits and rubberband it to a rock, then set it aside to grow.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 12:39 AM   #5
jeremevans
Registered Member

Even if you can't get it off in one piece you can always glue a bunch of pieces to a rock if you want. GSP is very hardy and will survive.

jeremevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 07:12 AM   #6
hbrochs
Registered Member

Gsp

Keep in mind that even though you can peel most of it off of the rock and glue it on another rock, its very hard to get every last bit off. I had a huge colony of GSP that was taking over my tank, and it was constant work battling it. Even though it looks kinda cool in big mats, I grew to think of it as a pest. Same thing with the xenia.

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote