Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2017, 07:19 PM   #1
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

Is leak seal tape marine fish safe?

I had a minor drip coming from my bulkhead elbow so I bought some leak seal tape instead of draining the tank and replacing the fitting. I was wondering if it is safe for the marine life.
Cobra seal repair tape

hotdogoramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 08:56 AM   #2
SPSOverDrive
Registered Member

why not replace bulkhead fitting? why you need to drain the tank to do so?

SPSOverDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

No idea. But depending on how the bulkhead is configured you might not need to drain. I've used plastic wrap to seal a bulkhead from inside the tank and tankrn thread entire plumbing offline on the dry side of bulkhead.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 04:47 PM   #4
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

I have a glass holes overflow system. I would have to drain the tank down at least 6 inches to take the bulkhead off to take it apart and fix the leak. That would be if I didn't have to move the whole setup away from the wall to access it. my setup is recessed in a corner and I would have to pull the tank away to be able to work back there, for that reason I have to drain most of it before I can move it.

Unread 03/13/2017, 11:02 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

"leak seal tape" is a generic term..

Search for the SDS sheet for the specific brand you are using..
Not that it matters.. Its very difficult to say something is "marine life safe" without extensive testing that they simply won't perform..

JB waterweld works great though and its been used many times by reef tank owners without issue..

Unread 03/13/2017, 09:50 PM   #6
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

the waterweld idea seems like it will do the trick. thanks for your help everyone.

Unread 03/14/2017, 12:22 PM   #7
victor_c3
Premium Member

By leak tape, do you mean Teflon tape?

Teflon, by its nature, is nonreactive. That's why things don't stick to Teflon pans and why they periodically use Teflon beakers in labs. For what its worth, if Teflon was known to be dangerous or toxic, we probably wouldn't have it applied to our cookware.

victor_c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 08:23 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_c3 View Post

Teflon, by its nature, is nonreactive. That's why things don't stick to Teflon pans and why they periodically use Teflon beakers in labs. For what its worth, if Teflon was known to be dangerous or toxic, we probably wouldn't have it applied to our cookware.
I assumed something like this..
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...Leak-Seal-Tape

or flex seal,etc..

teflon tape should never be used in any aquarium application.. Its for metallic threads only..

Unread 03/17/2017, 03:45 PM   #9
laserjim
Another Day In Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogoramer View Post
the waterweld idea seems like it will do the trick. thanks for your help everyone.

Current Tank Info: 430 gallon, 4 radion gen 3pro, 4 T5 bulbs, 60 inch Life Reef skimmer, Apex gold, 2 Dos dosers, ,80 gallon sump. 2 Cor pumps. 2 Ecotech MP 60 powerheads
laserjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 04:49 AM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_c3 View Post

You do realize that teflon if directly ingested is toxic? Although highly unlikely as the chip would pass through the gastrointestinal track before causing any real issue, but it's possible. Also super heating teflon(above 500F) makes it release super toxic gases.

There is a reason why they tell you to throw away teflon pans if the teflon is flaking off, and to not preheat or cook on high in teflon pans.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 09:39 AM   #11
steallife904
Registered Member

you said the elbow is leaking a bit right??? if its the elbow part I would just turn the pumps off for a bit so no water is running through and then just cover the fitting with pvc cement/glue. Making sure it gets down into the hole the water is coming through. The glue bonds the plastic together so it would seal the hole or gap the water is coming through. give it a bit to dry then turn pumps back on.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2017, 01:06 AM   #12
jalisco
Registered Member

Are you positive the bulkhead isn't cracked? Elbows aren't all that easy to crack but bulkheads are notoriously susceptible to that one tiny bit of over tightening. I would buy a Brute, drain the tank, pull it away from the wall and be certain. Anything short of that may work but I'd always be wondering.

jalisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 11:18 PM   #13
jalisco
Registered Member

What did you end up doing and how did things out?

jalisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2017, 08:54 AM   #14
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogoramer View Post
I had a minor drip coming from my bulkhead elbow so I bought some leak seal tape instead of draining the tank and replacing the fitting. I was wondering if it is safe for the marine life.
Cobra seal repair tape
I used perma-wrap about 3 years ago on leaking joint on the return side of my frag tank.. does not appear to have caused any long term ill effects.. I raised a Bangaii from about 1cm size to adulthood.. have it today.. Also a melanarus wrasse and clown fish.. corals in tank include SPS and LPS along with a few zoas.

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote