Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2017, 07:51 AM   #1
luisagos
Registered Member

Question for Mitras LX7

I have 60 x 24 x 30 inch Tank. It has a canopy about 10 inches high.
Also have 2 box fans moving air out.

Now comes the questions:

1) Would two LX7 be enough coverage in canopy of 10 inches high?
2) How much air space does LX7 need from the top to canopy.
3) Is the fan air only cooling the heatsinks?
4) Is the electronics sealed from the airflow of the heatsinks and outside tank air movement?

Thank you.

luisagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 08:45 AM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

There is fans on top of the Mitras. If you must mount took the very top you could cut holes on the canopy where fans are. There game there to cool off the heatsink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 11:11 AM   #3
786marco
Registered Member

I have 48x30x20 light are 12-15 inches above the water level they are not the lx7 they are the 6200 hv I think that what the last model was called and they are fine now you have an extra 12 I would try 2 if it's not enough since you have a canopy add some supplement lighting or add a 3th after you see if it's enough or not .......

786marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Antipodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisagos View Post
I have 60 x 24 x 30 inch Tank. It has a canopy
4) Is the electronics sealed from the airflow of the heatsinks and outside tank air movement?.
GHL specifically states do not mount in a canopy. They need to be in free air as they are not hermetically sealed and moisture will damage the electronics.

This is from their quick start safety instructions.
"Mitras® LX was constructed for indoor use as a pendant lamp for open top aquariums. The device may not be operated in or behind any
forms of covers, interior linings, cabinets, paneling, or enclosures where condensation could easily occur and sufficient ventilation could
not be provided. During the operation of the lamp and the power supply a steady air circulation for heat dissipation and cooling must be
provided at any time. Ensure that the ventilation slots remain unobstructed and never get blocked or covered by any material.
Mount the device with the hanging kit allowing at least a minimum distance of 20 cm to the water surface. Don’t place the lamp on the
basin edges nor operate the lamp lying there. To avoid heat accumulation arrange for an minimum distance of 10 cm between the protective
screens of the lamp and any other parts installed in or at your tank (for example installed splash water protecting glasses).
The lamp must never be operated with damaged or without its protective screens. The device has to be protected constantly against
wetness, condensation, splashing and dripping water."

Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 01:53 PM   #5
scuzy
Registered Member

Question for Mitras LX7

If he cuts holes on top where the fans are there should be enough ventilation for outside air to come in to cool the lights.

Or a floating canopy

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 04:43 PM   #6
luisagos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
GHL specifically states do not mount in a canopy. They need to be in free air as they are not hermetically sealed and moisture will damage the electronics.

This is from their quick start safety instructions.
"Mitras® LX was constructed for indoor use as a pendant lamp for open top aquariums. The device may not be operated in or behind any
forms of covers, interior linings, cabinets, paneling, or enclosures where condensation could easily occur and sufficient ventilation could
not be provided. During the operation of the lamp and the power supply a steady air circulation for heat dissipation and cooling must be
provided at any time. Ensure that the ventilation slots remain unobstructed and never get blocked or covered by any material.
Mount the device with the hanging kit allowing at least a minimum distance of 20 cm to the water surface. Don’t place the lamp on the
basin edges nor operate the lamp lying there. To avoid heat accumulation arrange for an minimum distance of 10 cm between the protective
screens of the lamp and any other parts installed in or at your tank (for example installed splash water protecting glasses).
The lamp must never be operated with damaged or without its protective screens. The device has to be protected constantly against
wetness, condensation, splashing and dripping water."
This why i didn't buy the first model. You would think they get the heat-sink cooled, sealed away from the electronics.

Why would you not want to seal your electronics from the vapor from the aquarium has me puzzled.

Thank you for great response.

Unread 03/12/2017, 04:46 PM   #7
luisagos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
If he cuts holes on top where the fans are there should be enough ventilation for outside air to come in to cool the lights.

Or a floating canopy

I love how you did that. I could always make a secondary canopy, on top of my with the cutouts. But I would lose my adjustable railing system I have in place.

Unread 03/13/2017, 10:01 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisagos View Post
This why i didn't buy the first model. You would think they get the heat-sink cooled, sealed away from the electronics.

Why would you not want to seal your electronics from the vapor from the aquarium has me puzzled.

Thank you for great response.
Have you opened a Radion or an AI Hydra or many other lights? FWIW, I have. They all have the electronics mounted to the heat sink or elsewhere in the case and the active cooling draws air in from one end, pushes it across the heat sink through the enclosure across the electronics and sends it out the other end. If you place any of these fixtures in a closed canopy without proper ventilation to reduce humidity, you have the potential for issues with any of these lights. It's not just the Mitras. This is why GHL as well as pretty much all other LED manufacturers don't condone canopy mounting.

For those that are considering canopy mounting, there needs to be good airflow inside the canopy to remove the humidity and allow cool air to be circulated through the light via the fixtures active cooling. If there isn't positive airflow inside the canopy, the lights will recirculate hot humid air and may fail prematurely. Again, this isn't liminted to the Mitras. The same can be said about pretty much all popular fixtures on the market. Most people don't have great airflow in their canopy which poses an issue for any fixture.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 03/13/2017 at 10:21 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 03:44 AM   #9
luisagos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Have you opened a Radion or an AI Hydra or many other lights? FWIW, I have. They all have the electronics mounted to the heat sink or elsewhere in the case and the active cooling draws air in from one end, pushes it across the heat sink through the enclosure across the electronics and sends it out the other end.
I have 3 Radion and your incorrect. There is a gasket between the heat sink and fan. There is no airflow inside the electronics, just through the heat sink.

I have had those 3 radion inside there for about 3 years. Had issues with the fans, but those where replaced.
I want to replace them, because the reef link is garbage.