Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2018, 04:30 PM   #1
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

0 nitrates

Have problem with some acros fading. Pale.
Everything reads good, except nitrates. 2 different text kits read 0.
Questions, How do I raise nitrates safely.

ReefTankHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2018, 05:03 PM   #2
SnowManSnow
Registered Member

I do raise NO3 when needed to around 2-3. I use NaNO3. I personally feel its is one of the safer alternatives since it is sodium which is present anyway. I bought 5 POUNDS of it on Amazon. Lab Grade. 5 lbs will last a VERY long time.

Current Tank Info: 120 MRC acrylic Tank (love it). Constellation T5s Mixed Reef
SnowManSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2018, 05:09 PM   #3
tomte25
Registered Member

There are threads about dosing a stump remover mix. They mostly mention it for dinos treatment I think. I’ve used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomte25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2018, 06:27 PM   #4
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

NaNO3, Can someone point me to a link to bye this .
Is it safe.

Unread 08/03/2018, 07:57 PM   #5
JMetaxas
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Nitrit...B8KJ2XZHCQB67T

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2018, 08:43 PM   #6
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

Thanks, not sure how mush I will need.
It looks safe enough.

Unread 08/06/2018, 09:01 AM   #7
pisanoal
Registered Member

Alternatively, seachem nitrogen is an easy/safe alternative although more expensive. If you go with nano3 powder, be very careful with your calculations and go slow. Very easy to overdose and raise your Nitrates way higher then intended.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 02:44 PM   #8
reeftemptation
Registered Member

Chiming in I ordered the no3 yesterday. I'm having the same problem with zero nitrates

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 15 gallon sump/Refugium, Ecotech Hydra 26(s) lighting,
reeftemptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 01:30 AM   #9
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Do you run a skimmer 24/7? Fuge every night?

Cut the skimmer down to a couple hours a night and reduce the photoperiod on the fuge. Also increase feeding and possibly add more fish.

I found that these methods worked better for me than adding nitrate manually. Too hard to be consistent.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 09:50 AM   #10
watchguy123
Registered Member

All good suggestions. Nitrates am be increased by adding food, nitrate supplements or dead critters, unintentionally. When you add extra food or have dead critters (fish croaking), it results in other things increasing in particular phosphates. And if you add nitrate powders or spectracide, you may drive phosphates down

If your nutrient export, either algae growth and removal or skimming or bacterial processing ( rock, substrate, siporax, marine block, carbon dosing, etc) is functioning really well, it can drive nitrates really low. But keep in mind that phosphates and nitrates need to be kept in a healthy range, too high or too low can be problematic.

You should know your phosphate levels as well as nitrate levels because supplementing nitrates (NaNO3 or KNO3) can drive phosphates down while adding more food can drive phosphates up. There very well may be other interactions taking place.

It is a balancing act and you need to be mindful of your nitrates and phosphate levels and realize that whatever you do, there will be a corresponding reaction to your chosen action

Current Tank Info: 180 Bowfront, 30 gallon sump, 20 gallon refugium, reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump, 2 x 6105 Tunze ,Tunze ATO, dual chamber CA reactor, 3 x250 metal halides with 2x t5 actinic supplement, Reefbrite Blue XHO's dawn/dusk

Last edited by watchguy123; 08/08/2018 at 09:57 AM.
watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 12:48 PM   #11
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Throughput is more important than a number on a test kit. Are you feeding your fish enough? If so, then you are fine.

You do not likely have 0 nitrate - we just lack any good test kits to test this. Nitrate in my tank is about .1, but I need a IC test to show this. I feed 15 fish a bunch, so I know that there is plenty of nitrate in there.

If you nitrate are near zero, then you have anoxic bacteria that are consuming them and turning them into N gas. Adding more nitrate will make these multiply and your dose will quickly go back down to zero again.

Also, keep in mind that nitrate is proven to stunt zoox growth and inhibit calcification. Nobody knows the actual levels, but if you want to supplement I would keep the N under 5 and P under .25. This is where the "low levels, but high throughput with heavy feeding and heavy export" comes in handy.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 10:14 AM   #12
reeftemptation
Registered Member

Watch the no3. It takes very little. Now my nitrates are too high!! Now using nopox. Getting frustrated.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 15 gallon sump/Refugium, Ecotech Hydra 26(s) lighting,
reeftemptation is offline   Reply With Quote