profanity removed, aquariums,saltwater,fish,corals,discussion,message board,aquarium lighting,reefs,reef aquarium,marine,LPS corals,SPS corals,soft corals,large polyped stony,small polyped stony,blenny,damsels,clownfish,mandarinfish,goby,tangs,gorgonians,colt corals,acropora,leather,brain,aquarium filtration, berlin method, live sand, live rock, fluorescent lighting, metal halide lighting,VHO lighting,kalkwasser,top-off systems,protein skimmers,sumps,powerheads,wavemakers,Pinpoint monitors,PH monitors,salinity meters,bubble,galaxy,clams,hermit crabs, snails,shrimp,trumpet,scooter blenny,feather duster,worms,bristleworms,algae,calcium,supplements,aquarium supplements,iodine,fish food,reef aquariums,reefkeeping,saltwater aquariums,MH lighting,Lobophyllia,Wellsophyllia,Trachyphyllia,favia,Euphyllia,Plerogyra,Galaxea,Fungia,Caulastrea,Turbinaria,Seriatopora,Porites,Sarcophyton,Sinularia,Cladiella,Dendronephthya,Nepthea,Capnella,Zooanthus,Clavularia,Parazoanthus,Erythropodium,Pseudopterogorgia,Discosomoa,anemone,coral reef,marine fish,saltwater fish,reef tank,underwater photography" /> profanity removed Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment" /> EcoTech <font size="1" color="#0000FF">profanity removed</font> - Reef Central Online Community
Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2017, 12:23 PM   #1
reefinder
Registered Member

EcoTech profanity removed

So I have three EcoTech vortech pumps. my MP10 pump started making some crazy noise all of a sudden. I disassemble the pump and find out the white tubing around the metal shaft has chipped. I called EcoTech up and spoke to the parts department and they tell me I can not buy that part. I have to only buy the entire wet-side for the pump. The tubing part probably cost them less than $.02 to buy. I even told the guy I would give him $15 for the piece I just don't want to spend $60+ dollars before shipping and tax for the entire wet-side. Chris in the parts department told me there is nothing he can do. I asked to speak with a manager and of course he tells me there is know one available to speak to.
I am ****ed, for an AMERICAN company who prides itself on customer service I feel very swindled. I have spent $1k in pumps and I need a $.02 piece and you try to rip me off. Am I in the wrong here for being upset, has anyone else run into issues with them?

Last edited by Misled; 10/05/2017 at 02:18 PM.
reefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 12:31 PM   #2
Potatohead
Registered Member

How old is the pump?

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 12:37 PM   #3
bif24701
Registered Member

The while around the metal shaft is a ceramic and permanently attached. However I feel like they could sell the wet side in several pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 12:55 PM   #4
reefinder
Registered Member

"The while around the metal shaft is a ceramic and permanently attached. However I feel like they could sell the wet side in several pieces"
No, it comes right off the shaft its a protective barrier piece I believe, it comes off all my pumps its not glued or screwed on.

"How old is the pump?"
pump is 18 months old I believe.

Unread 10/05/2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Ted_C
Registered Member

I had the same problem with an MP 60 - it's a ceramic bushing at the base of the spindle.

New wetside was the solution for me as well.

The thing is - it's usually some sort of drop or fall that causes the bushing to chip. Of the new parts or ones I haven't ever dropped, this has not been an issue for me.

Unread 10/05/2017, 01:17 PM   #6
ktownhero
Registered Member

There's nothing about anything you wrote that is wrong except for your own expectations. They offered you the solution, it isn't their problem if you don't want to pay for it. You don't buy a Mercedes if you can't afford the bumper.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 01:31 PM   #7
reefinder
Registered Member

[I]"There's nothing about anything you wrote that is wrong except for your own expectations. They offered you the solution, it isn't their problem if you don't want to pay for it.You don't buy a Mercedes if you can't afford the bumper[/I]."

I'm okay with buying the bumper for sure, but Mercedes did not tell me if the bumper breaks I need to buy a new windshield and tires and door panels. that essentially their solution. If one small part breaks you have to buy 1/3 of the product no matter what piece breaks. cant change your oil you just need to buy the whole engine instead.

Unread 10/05/2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefinder View Post
[I]"There's nothing about anything you wrote that is wrong except for your own expectations. They offered you the solution, it isn't their problem if you don't want to pay for it.You don't buy a Mercedes if you can't afford the bumper[/I]."

I'm okay with buying the bumper for sure, but Mercedes did not tell me if the bumper breaks I need to buy a new windshield and tires and door panels. that essentially their solution. If one small part breaks you have to buy 1/3 of the product no matter what piece breaks. cant change your oil you just need to buy the whole engine instead.
Well, it happens all the time. Phone Mercedes and try to buy just a piece of the alternator or fuel pump, or just the speedo needle. You will be told you need to buy the whole alternator/pump/cluster.

Unread 10/05/2017, 01:41 PM   #9
reefinder
Registered Member

"I had the same problem with an MP 60 - it's a ceramic bushing at the base of the spindle.
New wetside was the solution for me as well.
The thing is - it's usually some sort of drop or fall that causes the bushing to chip. Of the new parts or ones I haven't ever dropped, this has not been an issue for me".

I have not dropped the pump yet, but I am glad I am not the only one who has broken the tubing and had the same response from EcoTech.

Unread 10/05/2017, 01:44 PM   #10
reefinder
Registered Member

"Well, it happens all the time. Phone Mercedes and try to buy just a piece of the alternator or fuel pump, or just the speedo needle. You will be told you need to buy the whole alternator/pump/cluster".

Or I could call a second hand parts shop and get the part for Mercedes. Unfortunately for Ecotech that option is not possible. And honestly I am not buying anything from Mercedes as well just EcoTech.

Unread 10/05/2017, 02:03 PM   #11
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
"Well, it happens all the time. Phone Mercedes and try to buy just a piece of the alternator or fuel pump, or just the speedo needle. You will be told you need to buy the whole alternator/pump/cluster".

Or I could call a second hand parts shop and get the part for Mercedes. Unfortunately for Ecotech that option is not possible. And honestly I am not buying anything from Mercedes as well just EcoTech.

You're not going to get just an alternator regulator from Advance.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, it would be nice to be able to get every part, but typically not the way it works.

Unread 10/05/2017, 02:08 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Can you post a picture of the part you are referring to. My MP10 wetsides have no white protective piece or bushing that comes off. The central spindle is white, but it's not removable (or not easily removable). Maybe its older than you think .......

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 10/05/2017 at 02:18 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 02:54 PM   #13
reefinder
Registered Member

Yeah definitely when I get home tonight I will post a pic

Unread 10/05/2017, 03:02 PM   #14
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

I also wish they'd sell replacement parts for the wet side. I had to buy a $160 mp60 replacement because a snail got into the propeller and bent some of the plastic. It just seems wasteful.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 03:09 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

They used to sell a maintenance kit for the older 40 wetside. My guess is that the new ones aren't as easily disassembled and it's not deemed to be cost justified.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 10/05/2017, 03:11 PM   #16
taphil
Registered Member

Mine broke yesterday too. I seem to need a new one every two years with the MP10, the white ceramic part breaks often. This will be the third replacement.

I also have MP40 QD that’s been problem free

taphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 04:02 PM   #17
reefinder
Registered Member

Yeah its a total waste for one piece I agree with you

Unread 10/05/2017, 04:04 PM   #18
reefinder
Registered Member

Now pumps are cheaper and controllable from multiple other companies, you think they would step up their game to compete better for business.

Unread 10/05/2017, 04:11 PM   #19
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Now pumps are cheaper and controllable from multiple other companies, you think they would step up their game to compete better for business.
No one competes with them technically. Their patent made sure of that.

Unless by compare you mean a controllable pump. Vortech's are more than that IMO. My two sit on the back of my tank and totally blend in. No cords, no distractions.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 04:23 PM   #20
homer1475
Registered Member

My mp10's are an all white shaft(ceramic coating on a metal shaft) nothing comes off(I have 3 of them). I have had a shaft chip the ceramic coating and had it replaced. The part you are referring to is just a coating on the metal shaft and one solid piece with the bottom plastic.

Hence why you have to buy the entire wet side. I would agree with you though that they should at the very least just sell the bare bottom and shaft for much less then the entire wet side.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 04:50 PM   #21
mcgyvr
Registered Member

This piece?

Unread 10/05/2017, 04:53 PM   #22
outssider
Registered Member

they used to sell the back part that had the shaft attached. I bought one several years ago...it was less than $20

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 06:19 PM   #23
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
This piece?
That's the 40, right? The 10 is a more integrated unit and has not had a bushing like that in a very long time (maybe never).

Unread 10/05/2017, 06:24 PM   #24
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by taphil View Post
Mine broke yesterday too. I seem to need a new one every two years with the MP10, the white ceramic part breaks often. This will be the third replacement.

I also have MP40 QD that’s been problem free
ETM actually recommend a new wetside every 18 months. Seems a bit ridiculous to me frankly, but that's what they say. I've yet to have a wetside fail (including two of the older pre-QD wetside designs). Not sure what you people are doing with them?

I've used most of the powerheads available, and vortech are hands down my favorites.

Unread 10/05/2017, 06:43 PM   #25
ksed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
ETM actually recommend a new wetside every 18 months. Seems a bit ridiculous to me frankly, but that's what they say. I've yet to have a wetside fail (including two of the older pre-QD wetside designs). Not sure what you people are doing with them?

I've used most of the powerheads available, and vortech are hands down my favorites.
Where did you see that they recommended a new wet side every 18 months?

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote