Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2017, 09:46 AM   #1
MrsGsClassroom
Registered Member

Moving Suggestions

Good morning! I am at a loss for how to move my tanks. I teaching school and run a marine biology club so 3 of my tanks are going to students/teachers. I am going to take my 40G breeder and 75G with me. I wouldn't be so lost for what to do if I were setting my tanks up immediately but I will be moving 9 months pregnant and won't be setting my tanks up immediately (My husband is an admirer of the hobby but not a hobbyist himself). My FLS/ fellow reefers are taking/purchasing some of my corals/fish and I don't plan on keeping the sand. But I love my live rock- LOVE IT. My students and myself worked very hard to find the perfect pieces, cure them and build the perfect structures. I would love to keep it even though it would no longer be "live" live rock. My LFS is not interesting in buying it back and it does not belong to the school- I purchased it with personal money.

Im looking for suggestions on how to move my equipment (tanks, water storage, chemicals, etc) as well as my rock.
Any suggestions you have would be so wonderfully appreciated!

MrsGsClassroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 12:49 PM   #2
farfromsea
Registered Member

You're going to need help if you're 9 months pregnant!! I would keep the rock in giant Rubbermaid containers. Like those brute trash cans if it is a lot of rock.

Drain the tanks. Get someone to lift it. How long are you going to be away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farfromsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 10:32 PM   #3
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Agree with the brute cans

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 10:26 AM   #4
MrsGsClassroom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromsea View Post
You're going to need help if you're 9 months pregnant!! I would keep the rock in giant Rubbermaid containers. Like those brute trash cans if it is a lot of rock.

Drain the tanks. Get someone to lift it. How long are you going to be away?

Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely need help haha! I do have some brute bins on wheels so I can keep the rock in that but when I go to reuse it, it's doing to have a LOT of dead stuff on it- sponges, micro life etc. I plan on setting the tank up 2 or 3 months after baby. Its obviously going to have to cycle for a while before so should I set it out in the sun or anything like that to help leach out phosphates etc?

MrsGsClassroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 12:47 PM   #5
farfromsea
Registered Member

Moving Suggestions

If you're setting it up that soon I would just fill the tank immediately with water and sand in its new permanent home. Let it cycle with the lights off and not even bother to change the water until 2-3 mo the after the baby. That way you don't have to deal with aerating trash cans in your garage

farfromsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving, suggestions needed