Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2017, 09:16 PM   #151
smatter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3honda4me View Post
So after addicted and barbianj mentioned it to me, I looked up coral rx dip and soft skinned sps like my Hawkins echinata and that appears to be the cause. The soft skinned sps can't handle the coral rx dip so I killed my own coral.

I will be tossing the RX and switching to bayer dips from now on.
I'd skip the insecticide too.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 03:37 PM   #152
f3honda4me
Registered Member

ATO build day! To start, I set up a remote ATO reservoir that adds water the in sump 1.5G reservoir. There is a float switch in the 1.5G reservoir and another float switch in the big ATO. The float in the 1.5G will turn on the ATO pump after 10 second delay. Once the float valve goes up it will delay for 3 more seconds to put some extra water in before turning off. The float in the remote reservoir is to prevent the pump from turning on at all once the water goes below a certain point.

Here is the logic I wrotet in to outlet 5 on my EB832.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw2 CLOSED Then OFF
Defer 000:10 Then ON
Defer 00:03 Then OFF

In my case on both float valves when they are "down" that = CLOSED.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 06:17 PM   #153
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Here is the breakout box that the wires connect into from the float switches.

Here is the float valve on the in sump ATO along with the feed hose. I zip tied the feed hose to the drain pipe so it stays in place. I used a small piece of wood as the screw to mount the float to the side of the ATO was not long enough. The float is at a height that the water level will never get to the wood or the hose so I should not need a check valve.

I may eventually just choose to eliminate the in sump ATO altogether and just put the ATO float and fill hose into the return chamber.

Remote 20g long ATO tank with Eheim 600 pump. I will be dumping kalk in here as my calc/alk levels are not being kept up with water changes since I put all the corals into the tank.

Unread 02/20/2017, 06:25 PM   #154
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Also, managed to snag and kill two small gorilla crabs from the tank today. I ordered a pest trap and aquarium tongs to further my hunting of the gorillas.

I also have a radion G4 en route here tomorrow!

Unread 02/21/2017, 04:02 PM   #155
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Ok so G4 won't be here til wednesday. I guess BRS was closed yesterday. On that note today I also ordered a BRS single reactor w/maxijet and carbon/GFO. My phosphates are up to 1.00 and I also have 20 nitrate now. My skimmer also has not been creating foam for the last 2 days now, so I want to ensure there isn't a pollutant in the tank causing issues. Bad news is I'm out of outlets on my EB832, and I don't want to order a second one. I'll probably use a small splitter and put the radion and reactor on the same outlet. I'm also getting a small chaeto ball which I'm long overdue for as well. In previous tanks I have generally always had chaeto and run gfo/carbon. But now with the skimmer not producing foam the last 2 days it makes me worry there is something else going on. I cleaned it really well even though it's only 3 weeks old, and still no foam.

Today I saw 2 different gorilla crabs in the tank still, so the hunt is on!

Unread 02/21/2017, 04:21 PM   #156
charlesgage
Registered Member

Another common option is to run the reactor off of a manifold. That's how my 170 was originally setup. Sounds like sponges and other filter feeders are dying off in your tank at this stage, space which is pretty typical for fresh live rock street from the ocean.

I'm curious are you running your mp tens off of the 24 V outlet on the new Apex?

Also I don't know about the new Apex but with the old one you could use the previous generation of energy bars you might be able to get away with and he before he be eight instead of the newer fancy type save you a ton of money. Or just don't plug in the MP tens to the apex because the W XM or reef link should be able to turn them off anyway right?

charlesgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 04:36 PM   #157
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesgage View Post
Another common option is to run the reactor off of a manifold. That's how my 170 was originally setup. Sounds like sponges and other filter feeders are dying off in your tank at this stage, space which is pretty typical for fresh live rock street from the ocean.

I'm curious are you running your mp tens off of the 24 V outlet on the new Apex?

Also I don't know about the new Apex but with the old one you could use the previous generation of energy bars you might be able to get away with and he before he be eight instead of the newer fancy type save you a ton of money. Or just don't plug in the MP tens to the apex because the W XM or reef link should be able to turn them off anyway right?
Yea that's true I'm running a reeflink so I don't really NEED the MP10s or even the radion to be plugged into the EB832. That's a good idea.

As for running the MP10s off the 24v outlet I have no idea how I'd even do that or that I could even do that?

Unread 02/21/2017, 05:36 PM   #158
charlesgage
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea that's true I'm running a reeflink so I don't really NEED the MP10s or even the radion to be plugged into the EB832. That's a good idea.

As for running the MP10s off the 24v outlet I have no idea how I'd even do that or that I could even do that?
Actually the mp's are hard wired so you couldn't. I checked out your controller though and saw that it has 100w 24v circuit and two outputs that's a nice upgrade! That means cheapos like me could run some jebao D.C. Power heads or even a jecod 4000 return off the apex. So you could reduce the power at feed time with a single button.

Im doing your same tank but on the cheap. Mostly used equipment etc.

Unread 02/22/2017, 10:31 AM   #159
f3honda4me
Registered Member

So today my G4 will arrive along with the reactor and GFO/carbon. I have also come to the conclusion that I need a smaller skimmer so I'll be selling the simplicity and am looking at options for smaller size skimmers. The simplicity is fantastic, but after the first week it stopped pulling skim, and now only pulls foam/skim when I feed the tank. It's just too big for my reefer 170! But now that I've had one I think I'd go with the DC 240 for my 180g build as it's a really great and quiet skimmer.

I'm thinking about picking up the reef ocotopus 110 space saver, or the icecap K2-50. I'm also going to convert my 1.5G ATO to an in sump refugium so I'll have lots of pics on that change. I'll simply move the ATO float and tube to the return section of the sump. The DIY ATO system I built with floats and the apex breakout box have been working flawlessly. I used an eheim 600 which provides the perfect amount of flow even though the tube has to get over about a 48" head height. I couldn't be more pleased with it. I also used my spare 20 L for the ATO reservoir.

Unread 02/22/2017, 12:08 PM   #160
charlesgage
Registered Member

If you need an EB4: http://reefcentral.com/forums//showthread.php?t=2625367

Unread 02/22/2017, 12:29 PM   #161
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesgage View Post
Sold already.

Thanks for looking out for me though!

Unread 02/22/2017, 03:03 PM   #162
f3honda4me
Registered Member

I think I finally caught the "big" gorilla. I had been "feeding" the back corners of the tank, and sure enough he was back there. And that cocky crab was bold enough to stay there when my gloved hand came into the tank to grab him. I brought him out and then he went SQUISH.

The body measured just over 1".

Unread 02/22/2017, 03:17 PM   #163
liverock
RC Sponsor

That is not a gorilla crab...but squish him up and toss it back in front...your inverts will be happy!

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 03:25 PM   #164
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
That is not a gorilla crab...but squish him up and toss it back in front...your inverts will be happy!
It was definitely a gorilla crab. He looked EXACTLY like this

But I do like your suggestion of making him invert food

Unread 02/22/2017, 03:33 PM   #165
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Hah i dropped him into the tank and I have never seen a serpent star move so fast. He got a crunchy treat.

Unread 02/22/2017, 03:35 PM   #166
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hah i dropped him into the tank and I have never seen a serpent star move so fast. He got a crunchy treat.
LOL lunch...but not a gorilla...look close...no fur....

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 02/22/2017, 03:48 PM   #167
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL lunch...but not a gorilla...look close...no fur....
I promise he was super hairy when he was in the tank

Unread 02/22/2017, 03:58 PM   #168
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I promise he was super hairy when he was in the tank
LOL...what did you do....shave him??

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 02/22/2017, 04:03 PM   #169
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL...what did you do....shave him??
Doesn't everyone shave their crabs.

Unread 02/23/2017, 09:27 AM   #170
f3honda4me
Registered Member

So the G4 has been installed! First impression is that the spread and blend is 100x better. I'll be excited to see how my corals do with the new lighting. I turned the intensity down to 45% because I believe the G4 is probably stronger lighting than the G2 was as well.

I also received my reactor and carbon/GFO. I plan to run both together in the reactor. I also ordered a new icecap K2-50 skimmer which apparently a lot of others have had great success with in the reefer 170. I think it's a lot more appropriately sized than my simplicity skimmer was. I'll be offering up the Simplicity DC 120 for $175 which is a great deal since it's $210 new and I haven't had it more than 3 weeks!

Once the new skimmer comes, I'll be installing that, installing the reactor, changing the ATO to operate in the return pump chamber, and turning the 1.5g ato into a fuge. I also will have my last fish into QT soon I think! A pink streak wrasse and two blue reef chromis.

Unread 02/23/2017, 09:28 AM   #171
f3honda4me
Registered Member

The orchid dottyback went into the DT and she's doing very well. Initially the blenny chased her around but she found her "rock" and ducks into her hole any time he comes around. He can't fit so she is safe. He stopped pestering her so much now that she has her spot. The clowns are also now sleeping inside the nem at night. Initially the nem would close up too much for them to stay inside, but now the nem stays open and folds in half sort of making a wrap around "bed" for them and they sleep in their happily, and the nem seems just fine with that.

Unread 02/23/2017, 03:41 PM   #172
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

lights look great and I can't wait to hear you feedback on the skimmer. Where are you planning on putting the reactor?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1

Last edited by solitude127; 02/23/2017 at 04:13 PM.
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 09:29 AM   #173
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
lights look great and I can't wait to hear you feedback on the skimmer. Where are you planning on putting the reactor?
It will go on the right side inside the sump cabinet once I move the 1.5g ato container to the sump as a fuge. In fact...

Today is sump rearrangement day! I will be moving my ATO setup to the return area of the sump, and then turning the 1.5g ato container into a fuge! I'll also be installing the GFO/Carbon reactor and setting that up as well. My new skimmer also arrives today, the icecap K2-50 which is tiny and perfect for my size system and also allows me to put the fuge ato container right into the sump. I'll have lots of pics of all this to show what I'm doing and how.

Also new additions to the tank. I picked up a beautiful warpaint scoly, pic below and I just fed him as his tentacles were out and he was looking for food. If you've never had a scoly they are really fun and feeding them is really awesome to watch. He ate some frozen "limpits" food, which is a mix of lots of meats and goodies blended up (made by "Limipits" who is a local reefer by me). The pic below of the scoly is just after I fed him.

Also picked up two blue reef chromis and they are in the QT. They are already eating which is great. My LFS had them for about 3 weeks in his tanks and they are looking good. As normal I'll proactively treat them with prazi, then paragard.

I also picked up a very pretty cyphastrea, as well as a blue/purple hard stuff acro. I'll get pics of these later when the lighting is up higher.

Unread 02/24/2017, 04:17 PM   #174
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Ok so sump rearrangement is done. Now to mount the reactor and set that up as well. But I have to run to the hardware store for 3/4" screws as it looks like I'm all out. The skimmer is running at breakin setting, the old 1.5g ato was placed into the sump and filled. It has a sicce micra pump that is simply piping water into the fuge from the sump, and then the water overflows out of the fuge back into the sump. Chaeto is in there as well now, and I have set up an overnight light above it.

Unread 02/24/2017, 04:58 PM   #175
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

What's the first impression of the skimmer?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1

Last edited by solitude127; 02/24/2017 at 05:03 PM.
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote