Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Lord Rohan
Registered Member

Frogspawn question from noob

I bought this Coral from my local LFS and was told it was a Frogspawn Coral and that it would be a good beginner coral. I am new to the hobby so bear with me if this is a stupid question. Looking at pictures of Frogspawn corals online mine appears to look different to me. Mine looks like its inflated or fat so to speak compared to other pictures I have seen of Frogspawn corals. Tank if fully cycled (4 months old) and all parameters are in check.

When I bought it at the LFS it was much smaller and more closed up. About 24hrs after I put it in my tank it looks significantly thicker and fatter than its condition at the LFS. I understand that it's good for it to be out and expanded however mine just seems like its tentacles are really thick and meaty. I placed it on the bottom left corner of a 16 gallon LED Biocube tank where there is less water flow. In its current spot there is enough flow so that the tentacles sway gently but nothing too rough.

I was thinking that perhaps the lighting isn't sufficiently strong enough at the bottom of the tank with an LED Biocube which is causing it to inflate to get more surface area to absorb light? When the lights go off at night it shrinks back down to the size it was at the LFS.

Any thoughts from those with more experience? Perhaps my Frogspawn is perfectly healthy, however I am just curious as to why mine looks fat. Also I am unable to find a mouth anywhere. This is a frag with 2 separate heads on it.

Picture with antic lighting illustrates how it deflates when lights are off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1450.jpg (45.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1457.JPG (88.2 KB, 80 views)
Lord Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 06:39 AM   #2
MiddletoM
Registered Member

im not sure but it may be an octospawn

MiddletoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Optionman
Registered Member

Whatever it is, it looks happy and healthy. Hopefully it stays that way. If you maintain good CA levels it will grow so give it space to expand. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 07:12 AM   #4
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Yes, it's fine. Looks more froggy than octo to me. I have both. Mouths are on top of each polyp head and generally tentacles obscure the view.

Keep the big 3 parameters (alk, ca and mag) in normal bounds, give it moderate light and flow and it should grow and prosper.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 04:02 PM   #5
hann1bal
Registered Member

Mine really blossomed once i got the placement/water flow just right. Yours is doing good though. Enjoy it - I love them!

hann1bal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Skippy2512
Registered Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have two different frogspawns and two different hammers (one splatterhammer and one green hammer), and yours looks like healthy little frogspawn. Nice frag I might add!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3804.jpg (80.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3806.jpg (71.8 KB, 22 views)
Skippy2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Skippy2512
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy2512 View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have two different frogspawns and two different hammers (one splatterhammer and one green hammer), and yours looks like healthy little frogspawn. Nice frag I might add!

IMG_3811.jpg

Skippy2512 is offline   Reply With Quote