Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2017, 12:15 AM   #1
Gastriclavage16
Registered Member

Dialing in Reef Octopus 110 SSS space saver protein skimmer

So, my new 110 SSS just arrived. I rinsed it off, put it together and got it going. I read the reviews that these are great, but that the instructions suck. They sure do.

I assume it could take weeks to get this thing broken in. Still, the level is set at MIN, and the water level in the skimmer is high!!! Within inches of the top. I have it in 8.25 inches of water in the sump. Not sure if I should adjust the height or just give it time?

Also, the tank is rescued reef tank that has serious organic issues, so maybe it's operating high due to the really high load? Anyway, just want to get this thing functioning as quickly as possible.

The is number dial the only way to adjust these besides water level?

Thanks!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20170222_223356_resized.jpg (47.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20170222_223416_resized.jpg (45.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20170222_223818_resized.jpg (47.0 KB, 75 views)
Gastriclavage16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 12:17 AM   #2
Gastriclavage16
Registered Member

If you look at the pictures above, the water level is all the way up into the narrow cylinder, like 1.5-2 inches from the top.

Do I just leave it so it doesn't overflow for a week and not actually skim? Or do i adjust when I'm around to monitor it?

Unread 02/23/2017, 06:30 AM   #3
VGT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastriclavage16 View Post
So, my new 110 SSS just arrived. I rinsed it off, put it together and got it going. I read the reviews that these are great, but that the instructions suck. They sure do.

I assume it could take weeks to get this thing broken in. Still, the level is set at MIN, and the water level in the skimmer is high!!! Within inches of the top. I have it in 8.25 inches of water in the sump. Not sure if I should adjust the height or just give it time?

Also, the tank is rescued reef tank that has serious organic issues, so maybe it's operating high due to the really high load? Anyway, just want to get this thing functioning as quickly as possible.

The is number dial the only way to adjust these besides water level?

Thanks!!!
I'd raise it up a bit. I have mine in 7" of water, dialed down real low and its just barely low enough.

VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Gastriclavage16
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I will get something today to raise it up and see how that helps

Unread 02/23/2017, 09:52 PM   #5
Gastriclavage16
Registered Member

So I raised my sump up to a water depth of 7". I really wish these things came with instructions. What does the MIN and MAX even mean? If I have it on MIN, the water level will go so high it overflows into the collection cup. If run it to MAX, it just bubbles with about an inch above the disc with the holes in it. No foam makes it's way to the top. At all setting in between, the water level rises higher with lower numbers, but at no point does it create foam that rises to the overflow cup.

Do i just need to give it more time? Or is my unit not working?

Unread 02/23/2017, 09:53 PM   #6
Gastriclavage16
Registered Member

Also, does the bubbles are being consistently generated but it sounds almost like a pulse. In other words not a steady hum

Unread 02/23/2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Jessie2406
Registered Member

I have the 110 classic and I took the collecting cup off for the first week, (ran the bubbles) to the level of slightly overflowing. It took a bit to dial it in to the right spot and don't fiddle with it once you do if it freaks out empty the cup otherwise clean it every few days and leave the dial alone

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Jessie2406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 10:26 PM   #8
jwilliams860
Registered Member

the min max should be the settings for the wedge pipe, you want to run it completely open for a few days, then slowly close it and watch the level, once it starts breaking in you will have to find the sweet spot so it skims dry or wet depending on what you prefer.

it may take it a few days to even out.

jwilliams860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 09:46 AM   #9
VGT
Registered Member

Quote:
So I raised my sump up to a water depth of 7". I really wish these things came with instructions. What does the MIN and MAX even mean? If I have it on MIN, the water level will go so high it overflows into the collection cup. If run it to MAX, it just bubbles with about an inch above the disc with the holes in it. No foam makes it's way to the top. At all setting in between, the water level rises higher with lower numbers, but at no point does it create foam that rises to the overflow cup.

Do i just need to give it more time? Or is my unit not working?
The Min/Max is inverse for me. The more I turn to min, the more bubbles I get. I have to keep it around 2.5.

VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 09:54 PM   #10
Gastriclavage16
Registered Member

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I guess I just need to chill for a couple weeks.

Unread 11/02/2017, 10:02 PM   #11
Bryancls
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I guess I just need to chill for a couple weeks.
was wondering how you end up with breaking in your skimmer? I have the same dilemma....

Bryancls is offline   Reply With Quote