Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2016, 02:18 PM   #9226
LXXero
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
awesome. I'll try that out. the strainer looks like a good idea to save some room. Wish I can put a Maggie Muffler, but they don't make 2" ones.

does the position of the gate valve affect water noise? Having it right below the bulkhead vs right above the sump? If above the sump, 1 pipe would be running 6-7ft horizontally before dropping 1ft into sump.
That's why I was suggesting you put the open channel on the right side (the one you have a 6-7ft run on) as the open channel does not need a valve and won't typically need much flow rate, so the horizontal probably won't hurt it. Only the siphon line needs a valve.

I would advise using 45's and trying to make it more of a diagonal run than a horizontal, as a 6-7ft horizontal will definitely not flow as well. However, as the open channel, it should be OK, since you'll still have the siphon and emergency with shorter runs. It may struggle to ever become a full siphon in an emergency situation though, so all this should be tested for various failure scenarios to make sure the combination of the emergency + open channel can still handle your flow rate, or even if just the emergency by itself can handle it.

personally i like it as close to the sump as possible, although i've done it both ways and haven't had issues with either. It was more about accessibility and space, on my 120g which has a ghost style overflow, it really had to be above the sump due to height constraints, on my 60g, which is bottom drilled, it pretty much had to be below the tank, because of the fact it's bottom drilled. Sometimes you don't get a choice!

my rationale for having it closer to the sump is that essentially when you close the valve, that tube is going to fill up with water, and I figure having more pressure behind the valve will mean it purges air better or something, in practice i haven't noticed a difference though.

LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 07:29 PM   #9227
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
awesome. I'll try that out. the strainer looks like a good idea to save some room. Wish I can put a Maggie Muffler, but they don't make 2" ones.

does the position of the gate valve affect water noise? Having it right below the bulkhead vs right above the sump? If above the sump, 1 pipe would be running 6-7ft horizontally before dropping 1ft into sump.
What has been suggested to you, will not work the way a BA system is supposed to work. NOTE: I said it will not work the way a BA system is supposed to work. Will it drain water? Anything will drain water.

A BA system is not recommended for a tank with dual corner overflows, without a great deal of modifications to the tank configuration. The reason it is not recommended is due to the interaction between the siphon and the open channel, which will not occur--unless the siphon and open channel are in the same body of water. One in the overflow on the left, and the other in the overflow on the right, does not constitute being in the same body of water. Bean has stated this, I have stated it, and others have picked up on it and stated it also.

We went round and round about this several years ago, and pretty much decided (collectively) it is best not to run this system in a tank with dual corner overflows, unless you are ok with one overflow being shut down, or you simply do not care really how it operates so long as it simply drains water. It does not seem to make much sense to go to the trouble to use the three standpipes, and not make the system work the way it is supposed to work. You can drain water with a durso, a Herbie, a two pipe siphon system, gurgle buster or what have you; and you can run a dual herbie (which has a few issues) with the return over the back.

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 07:44 PM   #9228
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

Post edited.

Please do not refer to the opinions of others "noise". Also, do not use disparaging pejoratives when referring to groups whose opinion differs (i.e. "... police").

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 08:28 PM   #9229
LXXero
Moved On

this place is freaking out of control.

tell this guy not to start getting into everyones face and calling every thing wrong every time a question is posted about plumbing system. he's condescending as hell.

i'm sorry bud, but if this guy gets free reign to **** all over people in plumbing threads constantly, and i've had numerous conversations in private with others similarly frustrated with him, and you'll sit here and take his side? this place is such a joke sometimes.

you wouldn't have been having to warn me not to call the lynch mob out as the BA police if this sort of condescending opinion hadn't been let to run rampant in the first place.

getting involved now is beyond late, imho. and by blaming me, you are simply shooting the messenger. I am only one of many frustrated by this behavior.

I would expect facts and truths to be upheld over opinion. Opinions represented as facts are still not facts, and there are some who behave this way and expect no one to question them on it. Both times you've run into me now, they've been times where I called someone out representing their opinions unjustly as truths, and you've taken their side over mine. I'm not going to read into it any more than that, other than you're not making me feel very good about this place.

And you know what? If they are offended...They should be!

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/...lds-273584.jpg

Last edited by LXXero; 10/19/2016 at 08:52 PM.
Unread 10/19/2016, 10:30 PM   #9230
jason2459
Registered Member

I've found great advice from uncleof6. There have been a few things I don't agree with but the majority I most definitely do and have learned from his posts as well. Even just recently in another thread talking about paste vs sealants vs tape.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 11:22 PM   #9231
LXXero
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I've found great advice from uncleof6. There have been a few things I don't agree with but the majority I most definitely do and have learned from his posts as well. Even just recently in another thread talking about paste vs sealants vs tape.
Please Jason, i'd rather you not get involved as well. Plus, you clearly aren't really willing to talk to me in private anymore, and I really don't want to drag this out anymore than it has to in public.

The problem isn't that there isn't any useful information there, the problem is the absolutist attitude he takes with others. He even helped me out with my 60 cube one time, and I did appreciate that advice, but it makes no sense to treat it as if everyone else's opinions are wrong because it doesn't follow a 3d diagram of a bean animal to a Tee (pun intended?). It's downright condescending at times, and for me to be taking punches for calling him out on this behavior is well, downright insulting to me, and quite honestly, if the mods would have been paying attention would have told him to tame that attitude long ago, but i feel like apparently seniority rules around here and truth, honesty, and facts are given a backseat to that.

And let's not even get into the tape thing. There was an entire thread he dragged out the whole "use sealant no matter what" thing and it turned out the guy had a bum fitting and it wasn't teflon nor sealant nor this other red herring he kept throwing around that was the problem....now you'll see one of the newer threads where someone had a similar problem, both of us suggested hey check the fitting first, try one from another brand, lol. Lesson learned for both of us at least, but running around like a chicken with it's head cut off repeating the same schpeal about sealant over and over again wasn't helping anyone at that point when the fittings simply were faulty or from two mis-matched brands and just didn't for the life of them create a proper seal regardless of what substance was put between them.

Meanwhile, i know people in real life who do commercial aquariums and custom builds and have used teflon for the past 30+ yrs with no dramatic effect, and I trust those people way more than anyone from this forum. It's not that it won't work, it's that you need to know the proper technique and also when to just accept okay these two fittings are basically shot, i mean so much of this stuff is "well, does it work?" If not, try again. I think most people realize that some of these viewpoints are over the top and take it with a grain of salt.

I'd been avoiding that argument with him for a long time, but, since you went there.

i think at some point it ceases being helpful and unnecessary sends people down red herring after red herring. Not everyone wants to cut everything apart and start over, some people wanna know "how can i make this work" and i just see this belligerence towards anything other than this sort of "start all over and do it my way" prescription. It doesn't matter to most reefers whether it's "technically a bean animal" as long as it works safely enough, at some point it all just starts sounding silly.

I don't know, i feel like this absolutist attitude just sucks all the fun out of the hobby for me, that's the honest truth. Half the fun for me is experimenting and coming up with things, not always having to follow some straight and narrow formula is really all what it's about. People are coming up with new stuff all the time, new technology, new pumps, new techniques for all kinds of things, there is no reason plumbing has to be some off-limits thing in regards to innovations or modifications, and ultimately I will always tell people to experiment and test before I tell them to cut it all apart and start over.

Unread 10/19/2016, 11:25 PM   #9232
jason2459
Registered Member

Well, this is the thread BeanAnimal started about his redesign of an overflow system.

If you'd like to start and maintain another thread on modified BeanAnimal overflows that would be helpful to those looking to do so.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 10/19/2016, 11:46 PM   #9233
LXXero
Moved On

Quote:
Well, this is the thread BeanAnimal started about his redesign of an overflow system.

If you'd like to start and maintain another thread on modified BeanAnimal overflows that would be helpful to those looking to do so.
Dude, what kind of attitude is that? I feel like you just pulled plumbing equivalent of "Yeah, and you can go back to your home country."

The problem isn't limited to this thread, and half the people in this thread ARE asking about doing a modified bean animal. So maybe you should go tell all them to start their own threads?

this technicality of a "bean animal vs modified bean animal" is the whole fallacy i'm calling out in the first place, the point is, no one really cares except the "BA Police", and i have honestly no choice but to continue using that term until the behavior stops, because i don't really know what to call it anymore. This obsession with terminology is helping no one.

I think i've reached my bigot quota for the day.

Unread 10/19/2016, 11:50 PM   #9234
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXero View Post
Dude, what kind of attitude is that? ....
I can ask the same thing from you. But I've already learned you have a very aggressive attitude ready to argue and jump down someones throat.

Why I ceased communicating via PM with you. You have no etiquette or ability to say, I'm sorry or I was wrong.

Unread 10/20/2016, 12:15 AM   #9235
LXXero
Moved On

Quote:
I can ask the same thing from you. But I've already learned you have a very aggressive attitude ready to argue and jump down someones throat.

Why I ceased communicating via PM with you. You have no etiquette or ability to say, I'm sorry or I was wrong.
First of all, why are you starting with me again? You clearly have some unresolved beef, if you want to talk to me, then talk to me, but don't run to the mods because you got called out for posting misinformation on the internet and didn't like it, then clearly, continue to hold a grudge afterwards.

Your original argument with me was because you kept posting negative stuff about products in product review threads for products you don't even own. I even recently saw other people call you out on that EXACT same thing and you were all like "oh let's not go down that road again" so clearly it's not just me who's seen you do this.

Why should I be sorry? Clearly you're upset over the fact I called you out on it. If you honestly had no guilt in this matter, then I don't see why you'd still be so upset, but the fact you're upset is good, you should be, and you should learn from it.

I'm sorry, but all this is exactly the kind of fun-sucking attitudes i've been talking about. This sort of stuff just doesn't make the hobby fun for anyone. Most people just want some answers, not being told to throw it all out, not wishful speculations about products you don't own like a buncha virgins talking about sex.

If you want to talk to me, please, by all means, PM me some form of contact outside the forums and we can chat, and you can choose to block me whenever you like, but I'm not making the mistake of talking to you anymore on here.

I'm not the kind of person to block someone, and I don't really intend anything I say to be taken personally, I'm just frustrated by these extremist attitudes, and this situation is really nothing to do with your beef with me Jason, so, I really would appreciate if you just stay out of it, or message me in private.

Unread 10/20/2016, 06:10 AM   #9236
jason2459
Registered Member

To be clear, I posted my concerns for the safety of others and questions to be answered by a manufacturer to explain their product's specifications.

I also posted requests for features of a product while the product was still being developed which is a perfect time to request options.

Also, the thing is huge. That is fact a fact that doesn't need one to own one to see. That was the only major negative thing I said against it that was my opinion and stated so.

I spend a lot of my time and money to experiment and learn about different products that I would hope can help everyone.

You do like to twist things. All I made was one comment stating I appreciate uncleof6's participation. Nothing against you.

Edit: and no I will not deal with you in PM anymore. The way you go about things amounts to online bullying

Good luck and happy reefing.

Last edited by jason2459; 10/20/2016 at 06:29 AM.
Unread 10/20/2016, 06:49 AM   #9237
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXero View Post
i have honestly no choice but to continue using that term
Actually, you did have a choice. Now you do not (at least until you rejoin under another name to spread more charm).

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 07:45 AM   #9238
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

People take things way too personally man...it's plumbing.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 08:08 AM   #9239
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Totally agree. There will most definitely be disagreements on how things are done and multiple ways to do get to an end result. That applies to many things. Getting all worked up over it doesn't help.

Unread 10/20/2016, 09:08 AM   #9240
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 09:38 AM   #9241
homerclease
Registered Member

Wow that escalated quickly..

homerclease is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 12:07 PM   #9242
75mixedreef
Registered Member

Would the BA system work with one of the 3 holes drilled outside of the overflow box? I got this tank with a corner overflow and 3 holes drilled total, 2 in the box, one outside of it (all drilled in the bottom). I wasn't really planning on running my return up through there since I will have a canopy and didn't think I would like how it looks, but if I could make it silent for when I read then that would make me happy.

Per the argument above, it would not be stagnant since it is not in a separate overflow. So would this be acceptable?

75mixedreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 12:43 PM   #9243
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75mixedreef View Post
Would the BA system work with one of the 3 holes drilled outside of the overflow box? I got this tank with a corner overflow and 3 holes drilled total, 2 in the box, one outside of it (all drilled in the bottom). I wasn't really planning on running my return up through there since I will have a canopy and didn't think I would like how it looks, but if I could make it silent for when I read then that would make me happy.

Per the argument above, it would not be stagnant since it is not in a separate overflow. So would this be acceptable?
Yes. The location of the dry emergency is not really that important, other than it prevent the tank from overflowing should the siphon and open channel become plugged. It can happen and has.

The siphon and open channel do have to be in the same "overflow" for the system to self adjust as it is supposed to.

Unread 10/24/2016, 01:25 PM   #9244
this is me
Registered Member

Sorry for the stupid question but do I need to glue the PVC pieces in the overflow together? Is dry fitting the "wet" pieces be okay? I asked because I like to take stuff apart and clean them once in awhile.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2016, 02:21 PM   #9245
coryjac0b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Sorry for the stupid question but do I need to glue the PVC pieces in the overflow together? Is dry fitting the "wet" pieces be okay? I asked because I like to take stuff apart and clean them once in awhile.

I don't have mine glued in the overflow for this same reason and haven't noticed any problems. They are just pressed together tightly. The systems has only been running about two weeks can't tell for sure if there are any long term issues.

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2016, 12:43 PM   #9246
saf1
Registered Member

Shopping list. Is there a single source, online, that has all of the correct parts to plumb a Bean Animal overflow? I just got back from my local hardware store and they had some pieces and pvc pipes but not all of it.

My tank is being completed this week and I'd like to order the plumbing parts and bulk heads while it is in transit. I had the external overflow set up to be 12" height with 3 x 1.5" bulkheads. I figured it may be best to ask if any of you found the items on one place rather than buying here and there.

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2016, 11:45 PM   #9247
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Shopping list. Is there a single source, online, that has all of the correct parts to plumb a Bean Animal overflow? I just got back from my local hardware store and they had some pieces and pvc pipes but not all of it.

My tank is being completed this week and I'd like to order the plumbing parts and bulk heads while it is in transit. I had the external overflow set up to be 12" height with 3 x 1.5" bulkheads. I figured it may be best to ask if any of you found the items on one place rather than buying here and there.

Thanks.
An irrigation supply would be your best bet for a one stop solution... beyond that it could be tough because Home Depot and other big box stores sell what is popular, not what you need...

Unread 10/30/2016, 08:50 AM   #9248
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleof6 View Post
An irrigation supply would be your best bet for a one stop solution... beyond that it could be tough because Home Depot and other big box stores sell what is popular, not what you need...
Great idea. Didn't think of that.

The sanitary-tee of all things was proving difficult. Also quality true-union ball valves. For some reason I didn't think they had a large variance of price but they sure do. So I was looking for middle ground on quality/price point.

Thanks again for the idea, will take a look at what I have near by.

Edit: Ok, change of plans after reviewing Bean's diagrams. My bulkhead(s) are on the bottom of the overflow and it would appear that his image / design is coming in from the side. I was using the diagram to order parts and I just caught this. I think I'm going to wait to order overflow parts until the tank actually arrives to be safe. What a goof on my part. My overflow is box goes like:

1" bulkhead outer left
1.5" bulkhead middle left
1.5" bulkhead middle
1.5" bulkhead middle right
1" bulkhead outer right

Also going to re-read the thread. I know people have them coming up from the bottom but I am not seeing how to manage the space. Especially when the piping is 1.5".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54 by 30 by 30 aquarium[15].jpg (13.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by saf1; 10/30/2016 at 09:31 AM.
Unread 10/30/2016, 03:28 PM   #9249
saf1
Registered Member

Can't edit my post above, but is there any reason why I can't move the sanitary tee inside the overflow? Space permitting of course and height. Looking at the diagrams it seems like this would more or less work the same and follow the design. Elbow would be straight shot to tee. Vertical NPT slip adaptor, cap, and John Guest fitting should look the same. PVC pipe, True Union ball valve below.

I will still wait to receive the tank before I order anything just to make sure proper fitting and understand a bit more how water level is managed inside. That seems to be a crucial piece in the design.

Unread 10/30/2016, 08:59 PM   #9250
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Can't edit my post above, but is there any reason why I can't move the sanitary tee inside the overflow? Space permitting of course and height. Looking at the diagrams it seems like this would more or less work the same and follow the design. Elbow would be straight shot to tee. Vertical NPT slip adaptor, cap, and John Guest fitting should look the same. PVC pipe, True Union ball valve below.

I will still wait to receive the tank before I order anything just to make sure proper fitting and understand a bit more how water level is managed inside. That seems to be a crucial piece in the design.
Yeah, I would imagine so...

Tags
beananimal, plumbing