Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2016, 10:55 PM   #76
milsaltnewbie07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentree View Post
I'm in rough shape things continue to slowly look worse. I tried to save some of the red dragon but it all RTN'd. Alk is down to 9.2, I'm aiming for 8 until I can get some nutrients on the chart. Any thoughts on that? I'm so miserable!

On the upside, the new little anthias and wrasse are eating really well! I also had the opportunity to pick up a chubby leopard wrasse that eats EVERYHING, she's an absolute beast and a treat to feed. Hopefully that'll help my situation.
Sucks big time. Trust me is what every acro lover hates to hear or see. I can seriously say we have all been there at one point of our hobby . Some things you can do is skimm part time so half day on half of. Downside to this is that ph might be affected. However what yoy can do is leave it running and remove the collection cup. This way, your ph shouldn't fluctuate. I have done this , and has worked for me. You can also dump some skimmate back to the tank. Kinda feed your corals. Also make sure you stop all dosing of alk, if you want to lower it. I have always hated high alk, seems there are to many cons to it, so i stay at 8 or below. Good luck

milsaltnewbie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 12:37 AM   #77
nyfishkid87
Registered Member

Wow

nyfishkid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 12:39 AM   #78
nyfishkid87
Registered Member

Beautiful

nyfishkid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 10:05 AM   #79
Greentree
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaltnewbie07 View Post
Sucks big time. Trust me is what every acro lover hates to hear or see. I can seriously say we have all been there at one point of our hobby . Some things you can do is skimm part time so half day on half of. Downside to this is that ph might be affected. However what yoy can do is leave it running and remove the collection cup. This way, your ph shouldn't fluctuate. I have done this , and has worked for me. You can also dump some skimmate back to the tank. Kinda feed your corals. Also make sure you stop all dosing of alk, if you want to lower it. I have always hated high alk, seems there are to many cons to it, so i stay at 8 or below. Good luck
Thank you for the encouragement, that's a great tip about the skimmer! I'm going to try that today!

Greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 11:56 AM   #80
Greentree
Registered Member

Adding this update here too - When I tested this morning I had 5ppm nitrates, .16 phosphates! It's a Christmas miracle! I was considering pulling the remaining corals and putting them in a frag tank with good seeded water, or doing a huge water change, but I think I just need to accept that the damage is done - whatever lives is what I haven't doomed already. Alk is at 9, still dropping slowly.

Unread 11/22/2016, 04:50 PM   #81
Flexin5
Registered Member

ah that sucks. red dragon can be sometimes difficult to keep, for some reason they never do well in my tank but other sps do great. eventually you'll find the right balance between nutrients and alk and the tank will do great. i find that sps do better in dirty water lol

Flexin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 08:23 PM   #82
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

Do you QT your fish?

Unread 12/02/2016, 12:24 PM   #83
Greentree
Registered Member

I do, but not anthias or leopard wrasses since they tend not to handle it well. I also would have QT'd the naoko wrasse but he had been housed with them so it likely wouldn't have prevented anything... and maybe I was a bit lazy this time. Not good practice, I know...

Unread 12/02/2016, 12:28 PM   #84
Greentree
Registered Member

Things are still going downhill. Still slowly losing everything except birdsnests and LPS, and big blue fuzzy SPS that I forget the name of.

Alk is dropping slowly, I'm at about 8. I ordered a triton kit to send a water sample in.

Also, I've been reading up on Aquaforest and I like what I see. I'm thinking that when this levels out (if it ever does), before I add anything more, I will convert fully to Aquaforest. This way if I happen to have any swings during the transition, I won't have any new coral to lose and risk is minimal. Thoughts?

Last edited by Greentree; 12/02/2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: edit
Unread 12/02/2016, 01:04 PM   #85
Nanighan
Registered Member

If hope is almost lost for the sps, try this. Take a 10g tank and put about 80% new saltwater and 10-20% old tank water. Put all dying sps in there with indirect flow. Add light but lower in strength than the main tank light. Also add some rock from the main tank. This is effectively a massive water change. Do not dose at all just evap top off. I have done this, and woks pretty well, but the sps was not really on its last legs though.

Not sure if you do this or not, but make sure you roll around the bucket or bag your salt comes in as to get a even mixture all the time. Good Luck!

Unread 12/02/2016, 01:44 PM   #86
Greentree
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanighan View Post
If hope is almost lost for the sps, try this. Take a 10g tank and put about 80% new saltwater and 10-20% old tank water. Put all dying sps in there with indirect flow. Add light but lower in strength than the main tank light. Also add some rock from the main tank. This is effectively a massive water change. Do not dose at all just evap top off. I have done this, and woks pretty well, but the sps was not really on its last legs though.

Not sure if you do this or not, but make sure you roll around the bucket or bag your salt comes in as to get a even mixture all the time. Good Luck!
Thank you for that tip! I was considering something like this, but wanted feedback from someone who had tried it. I might go ahead with it... Hmm...

Unread 12/03/2016, 10:13 AM   #87
reefmutt
Registered Member

Man o man, your tank is sooo unstable right now, it is not a surprise that you are having troubles.
Last month, you had no nutrients and a kh of 10, now you have nutrients- even slightly elevated p and a lower kh.
You've changed lighting as well...
I don't believe there is anything wrong with your water..
You are playing the reaction game. Whatever happens in the tank gets an adjustment.. this keeps you one step behind the tank and lets the problems dictate your actions... it's a tough position to be in.
I suggest stop worrying and fussing about the sick corals.. they are sick because of instability.
Sps can react immediately to stress and they can react very slowly to stress. You can never tell for sure if an sps is sick because of a stress that happened yesterday or last month and for you, you've had stressors recently and also not so recently.
I have done exactly what you are doing and completely wiped out a full sps system.
I sincerely feel that you need to step back and take a figurative deep breath and begin to concentrate on the basics. Stop worrying about the state of the corals. It is what it is right now. Concentrate on stability in the tank. Your kh is now in a good range, keep it there. Keep calcium stable and don't manipulate your nutrients anymore. Let them stay where they are.
Now, don't change the lights or anything for 2 months. You may still lose some corals but it won't be because of your current situation, it'll be from what has already happened..
Keep doing a 10 or 20% waterchange with a good salt and wait it out..
It is said over and over that bad things in a reef happen overnight and the good things take months. Truer words were never spoken.
You are in it for the long haul so take it a bit more slowly...
Hang in there and be patient..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 12:59 PM   #88
Greentree
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Man o man, your tank is sooo unstable right now, it is not a surprise that you are having troubles.
Last month, you had no nutrients and a kh of 10, now you have nutrients- even slightly elevated p and a lower kh.
You've changed lighting as well...
I don't believe there is anything wrong with your water..
You are playing the reaction game. Whatever happens in the tank gets an adjustment.. this keeps you one step behind the tank and lets the problems dictate your actions... it's a tough position to be in.
I suggest stop worrying and fussing about the sick corals.. they are sick because of instability.
Sps can react immediately to stress and they can react very slowly to stress. You can never tell for sure if an sps is sick because of a stress that happened yesterday or last month and for you, you've had stressors recently and also not so recently.
I have done exactly what you are doing and completely wiped out a full sps system.
I sincerely feel that you need to step back and take a figurative deep breath and begin to concentrate on the basics. Stop worrying about the state of the corals. It is what it is right now. Concentrate on stability in the tank. Your kh is now in a good range, keep it there. Keep calcium stable and don't manipulate your nutrients anymore. Let them stay where they are.
Now, don't change the lights or anything for 2 months. You may still lose some corals but it won't be because of your current situation, it'll be from what has already happened..
Keep doing a 10 or 20% waterchange with a good salt and wait it out..
It is said over and over that bad things in a reef happen overnight and the good things take months. Truer words were never spoken.
You are in it for the long haul so take it a bit more slowly...
Hang in there and be patient..
Aaaargh! I know you're right! I keep telling myself that this is what I'm going to do, and then I'm like... but maybe if I do this ONE more thing...

I'm going to let it be. I won't take the corals out. Thank you for the pep talk, I needed this. It's so hard!

Unread 02/04/2017, 05:11 PM   #89
Dans85
Registered Member

Any updates on this tank? I'm putting a very similar system in the very near future.

Dans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 05:28 PM   #90
Greentree
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans85 View Post
Any updates on this tank? I'm putting a very similar system in the very near future.

Hi! I'm still plugging along, not changing much, struggling with high phosphates and a new issue - algae (hair and slime). Corals are still not consuming alk so it's steady at 7. I'm going to start running GFO again.

Last time I ran GFO my tank really took off and looked great for quite awhile - long enough to see a lot of great growth, but I went too far with it and depleted too much of the nutrients. Coral stopped using alk, huge alk swing, and subsequent rtn'ing of all of my large colonies.

I bought the complete aquaforest line and I plan to keep up with the coral's needs through the addition of their three part method, along with the trace nutrients. Hopefully I've learned enough to have more success this time around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/24/2017, 02:31 AM   #91
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

I had a lot of these same troubles when I first started my first SPS tank (which is less than a year old, now). Alk was fluctuating all over trying to find a "sweet spot" that worked with my low nutrients and I was constantly fiddling with my LED lights to try to get enough but not too much light for the low nutrients. I couldn't ever detect any nitrate or phosphate, but still had algae popping up and my corals were paling out, if not completely bleaching.

Eventually, I swapped to ATI T5 lights and got Alk stable at ~7.5dKH by slowly adjusting the amount of Kalk in the ATO (which worked well for the undetectable nitrates). I tested for a few weeks at a rate of 3 times per week and it stayed steady at 7.4-7.6dKH. Now, I only test alkalinity every few weeks (horrible, I Know), but it is right at 7.5 when I check. I do water changes only every couple of weeks or so, and I never test for nitrate/phosphate/etc. Everything is really coloring up and growing well. Just some thoughts from my experiences.

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 02:33 AM   #92
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

(I also took out my GFO reactor, added a kole tang to munch algae, and added a small clump of cheato to a chamber of my sump. I realized I like keeping things as simple as possible with fewer things to screw up- chaeto seems to take care of everything on its own without the spike/depletion cycles I had with GFO).

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote