Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2017, 06:08 PM   #1
mpyers
Registered Member

Too much flow?

I have a 65g mixed reef with 2 maxspect gyre pumps on opposite ends of the tank running on the maxspect controller. I have them tuned down at night and have a few random modes during the day. But mostly running alternate pulses of one another at only 30% during the day. I just installed the second one yesterday and I tuned both of them down to kind of match the level I had with one. But occasionally they run against one another and it creates some turbulence that the softies don't like. My local reef buddy says that the softies will get "stronger" and be able to handle it over time and I can begin to increase the flow. He even said I might be able to run them at 100% one day. (I doubt that. I tried it out and it's like a damn hurricane) but is there any truth to that. Will they acclimate to the increased flow? If not can they handle the flow it's not so bad how I have it now (I'll post a video later). But a few of them haven't been too happy since I put the second pump in.

What do you think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mpyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 08:59 PM   #2
mpyers
Registered Member

Anyone?

Unread 02/23/2017, 10:48 PM   #3
Brandon0034
Registered Member

Are they the 230's or 250's? Regardless of which model that seems like a lot of flow for softies in that small of a tank. By adapt I think he might mean not fully open and hold tighter to their skeleton which isn't appealing to the eye. In my opinion softies are pretty easy to look at and see if there is too much flow. If they aren't extended and moving "happily" its too much. I think your best bet would be to run them in alternating mode, that way you have a gyre on at a time then switching so the flow isn't sporadic(I do this in my 125).

Brandon0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 08:42 AM   #4
jml1149
Registered Member

Yeah. I have 2 MP40's and at first I was afraid to run them at > 30% in my 120g tank because I was afraid I would tear my LPS. But, after increases of 5%/week, I'm up to 60% and everything has grown to withstand it no problem.

You think about it, what you're describing is a small fraction of what happens in the ocean.

Also, I really like the conflicting wave patterns where the water flow is crashing into itself. I think the differential pressures across the coral surfaces really enhances nutrient transport.

I run one MP40 on reefcrest and the other on constant, both at the same speed, alternating every 6 hours.

Unread 02/24/2017, 08:51 AM   #5
sde1500
Registered Member

That seems like a lot of flow. Do you have them both on top of the tank? Maybe put one sideways near the back so you have a flow sweeping around the exterior parts of the tank, plus one on the top getting a gyre top to bottom?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 11:08 AM   #6
mpyers
Registered Member

They are 230s and yes I have them both on top. I thought it was a lot as well. I'm torn though because my sps have never been happier. I'll keep playing with it and find a happy medium. I never thought I'd have to run these at 20% holy cow. My old generic pumps were so awful I didn't realize what a real pump could accomplish. I already am running them alternating. Both at the same time would be insane even at 10%