Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2017, 06:31 AM   #1
GCW
Registered Member

Help! What illness is this?

Hello,

I came home from work today to discover that my blue tang is unwell. I have been doing quite a lot of fish catching of late and thus it might have been stressed induced. However, I'm unsure what it's suffering from as I have not encountered such a scenario before, I think it is white spot but I may be wrong and was wondering if anyone here can help identify the issue and remedy. I'm worried sick and appreciate any info thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1324.jpg (61.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1325.jpg (54.7 KB, 30 views)
GCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 08:58 AM   #2
Khazmodain
Registered Member

From the photos that sure looks like ich (crypto). There aren't any reef safe treatments unfortunately. Are you able to remove him to place him in a treatment tank? Some of the safer options include TTM and hypo. I'd avoid the use of copper... some have had success with chloroquine phosphate for treating ich.

Khazmodain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Chriss614
Registered Member

I'm testing a combination of hypo and CP to combat ick and so far it seems to be going well. I'm about 15 days in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Chriss614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Khazmodain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss614 View Post
I'm testing a combination of hypo and CP to combat ick and so far it seems to be going well. I'm about 15 days in.
This combo is part of my QT routine as well. Do you redose CP or do a one and done dose? I had originally assumed one and done took care of it but heard that's more for velvet... for crypto Noga suggests 4 doses every 5 days.

Khazmodain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Chriss614
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazmodain View Post
This combo is part of my QT routine as well. Do you redose CP or do a one and done dose? I had originally assumed one and done took care of it but heard that's more for velvet... for crypto Noga suggests 4 doses every 5 days.
I did a high dosage on my first dose to make up for any that gets lost somehow (about 75mg/gallon) and then just medicate my water for water changes with 60mg/gallon. By doing hypo at the same time you can be pretty confident that ick and velvet will die off because even if the CP drops the salinity will work. What CP do you use.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Chriss614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 12:12 PM   #6
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Looks an awful lot like velvet. Are the spots different sizes? From what I under stand ich, the spots tend to be almost identical in size, velvet, they can be very tiny to larger and are often found on the fins and tail too.

If the fish is eating you can try mixing some ick sheild food with mysis to see if you can get it under control. I'm using that on my reef tank right now am about 7 days in. I'm using CP powder on my FOWLR tank.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 05:48 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Ich is pimples under the skin and they tend to be uniform in size.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote