Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2017, 03:50 PM   #1
aquamann183
Registered Member

Filling up tank question

So I know this a debatable question.
But I'm a setting up a 150 gallon reef ready tank with a sump, and I'm wondering..
Should I..
Fill the tank with rodi water, mix the salt in the tank then put in the live sand/rock.
Or
Mix saltwater in a 55 gallon trash can, put in the sand/rock, then fill the tank with the saltwater.
Or lastly..
Mix the saltwater in the trashcan, put the sand in the tank, fill the tank with the water, and then put the rock in?

Just seeing what everyone does and what they thought about the way they did it.

Thanks guys and gals, happy reefing!
-Ben

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

aquamann183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Ou8me2
Registered Member

Personally, I always fill the tank with tap water first and leak test the tank and plumbing. Then once I know everything is good, drain it. It would suck if you have plumbing issues and have empty the tank and toss RODI/Saltwater.

I'll add the sand and rock and fill the tank with rodi/saltwater. I prefer to mix the salt outside the tank but I know some may do it in the tank also. Just make sure you mix it with powerhead till it's clear.

Ou8me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 04:34 PM   #3
windlasher
Registered Member

When I filled my 220, I filled the 100 gal storage tank and mixed in the salt. Pumped it up to the tank. Repeat.... took about three days. MY theory being that it takes a lot more effort to fill a tank with RODI and then add enough salt accurately to get it to where you want it. When it gets into the tank, it should be ready to be in the tank.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 04:40 PM   #4
VGT
Registered Member

I did option 3. Mixed a few trashcans of saltwater. Added sand, added water, added rock.

VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 05:41 PM   #5
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by windlasher View Post
When I filled my 220, I filled the 100 gal storage tank and mixed in the salt. Pumped it up to the tank. Repeat.... took about three days. MY theory being that it takes a lot more effort to fill a tank with RODI and then add enough salt accurately to get it to where you want it. When it gets into the tank, it should be ready to be in the tank.
+1

I did this as well. I also find it easier to arrange the rocks without water in the tank.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 06:28 PM   #6
aquamann183
Registered Member

All good so far, I like where this is going!

I tested the tank outside with just holding freshwater, but I do agree. It would be a lotttt better to have a leak happen with rodi water over saltwater.

The only thing sketchy about putting rocks in before the water is the possibility of a rock slipping out of your hand and breaking the tanks glass. that is why I thought having water in first might be a good idea.

I do want to use acrylic tubing in the live rock though. That's something I didn't do in my other tank that I think is probably a smarter thing to do.

I have had a 40B set up for a few years, so I'm not new to the game, just trying to be proactive.

Unread 02/23/2017, 06:29 PM   #7
MrNurse
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
+1

I did this as well. I also find it easier to arrange the rocks without water in the tank.

- Ivan
100% agree with that. Nothing is worse than arranging rocks in cloudy water.

Unread 02/23/2017, 06:31 PM   #8
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurse View Post
100% agree with that. Nothing is worse than arranging rocks in cloudy water.
That is also very true and a good point. My last tank I did put the rock in after and you couldn't see anything. Basically it just sat there with the rock in the tank for a couple days until I could finally start to see and arrange everything.

Unread 02/23/2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Ou8me2
Registered Member

I personally like filling with rock and sand already in the tank and then add the water. Remember if you fill the tank with no sand or rock you'll probably have to remove water. It takes the guess work of how much water you'll need.

Unread 02/23/2017, 07:45 PM   #10
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8me2 View Post
I personally like filling with rock and sand already in the tank and then add the water. Remember if you fill the tank with no sand or rock you'll probably have to remove water. It takes the guess work of how much water you'll need.
That is a good point as well. If I put the rock in afterwards, I planned on keeping the sump empty and letting the excess go in the overflow and fill the sump.

Do you guys do anything with the water to try and not make it hit the sand directly? Like having the water hit a plate or something along those lines and not the sand directly?

Unread 02/23/2017, 08:05 PM   #11
BryanCaruso
Registered Member

I just filled my tank 6 days ago. This time all dead rock. Actually dead and not dry. I did vinegar soaking for 3 days followed by bleach soaking anyway. I aquascaped first then added the sand. Mixed saltwater RoDi in a brute and pumped it in over the rocks. This is my 4th time setting up a new tank and would not do it any other way in the future.

BryanCaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 08:08 PM   #12
CarrieB
Registered Member

Just make sure the rocks go before the sand. If you have sand under the rocks it might shift later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarrieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 08:09 PM   #13
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCaruso View Post
I just filled my tank 6 days ago. This time all dead rock. Actually dead and not dry. I did vinegar soaking for 3 days followed by bleach soaking anyway. I aquascaped first then added the sand. Mixed saltwater RoDi in a brute and pumped it in over the rocks. This is my 4th time setting up a new tank and would not do it any other way in the future.
So, putting the sand in after the the rock works fine? I've always put the first layer of rocks on top of the sand then pushed them down a tiny bit so they are in the sand a little.

Unread 02/23/2017, 08:12 PM   #14
mpderksen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamann183 View Post
That is a good point as well. If I put the rock in afterwards, I planned on keeping the sump empty and letting the excess go in the overflow and fill the sump.

Do you guys do anything with the water to try and not make it hit the sand directly? Like having the water hit a plate or something along those lines and not the sand directly?

Rocks should not be on sand. Sand should fill In around rocks. Avalanches happen when various critters burrow into the sand. Rocks always on the bottom. If you cycle the rocks offline in a brute, like I do, then have enough water ready to cover them pretty quick after you place then. Probably not much die-off in a few hours, but letting dry overnight might not be good.

mpderksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 08:13 PM   #15
Ou8me2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamann183 View Post

I usually have some spare RODI tubing around long enough to run straight from the RODI to the tank and it's pretty cheap. I'm not sure how far that would be but there is no splashing that's for sure.

Unread 02/23/2017, 08:15 PM   #16
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpderksen View Post
Rocks should not be on sand. Sand should fill In around rocks. Avalanches happen when various critters burrow into the sand. Rocks always on the bottom. If you cycle the rocks offline in a brute, like I do, then have enough water ready to cover them pretty quick after you place then. Probably not much die-off in a few hours, but letting dry overnight might not be good.
That makes sense. I will definitely put the rock in before the sand now!

Unread 02/23/2017, 08:29 PM   #17
CarrieB
Registered Member

Some people put a layer of eggcrate under the rock to protect the glass and give the rock more support. You can get it in the lighting section at Home Depot or Lowes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarrieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 02:53 PM   #18
aquamann183
Registered Member

What about, do you guys connect your rock? Like do you drill holes and connect the rock with acrylic tubing, use like 50lb test fishing line, tie wraps, etc.. what do you guys and glas do or do you just set the rocks on top of each other?

Unread 02/25/2017, 11:59 AM   #19
jmm
Registered Member

I put a layer of HDP (high density polyethylene about 1/4 inch thick) that I have custom cut to fit on the bottom glass. This cushions the rock and any sharp points that might scratch or break the glass. I then aquascape dry with dry rock I have acid soaked and neutralized. I then add dry sand that I have thoroughly washed. Next comes RODI water and a startup with all equipment running. I then (finally) add the salt to the filter socks or high flow region of the sump. I keep track of how much salt I add and when I reach 1.025 (and temperature correct) I can tell exactly how much water is in the system. It's not an estimate if you keep an accurate account of how much salt it takes to get there. It usually is a surprising number compared to what most people guess.

Aquascaping dry lets you arrange, re-arrange, and re-re-arrange until you get a stable arrangement. Stability is important and you can chip away or turn the pieces until you get it right if you don't have to fight the visual distortion the water causes.

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote