Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2016, 08:02 PM   #2851
andrewbram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
In all honesty, you will not find a better pump than the Red Dragons. There is good reason why they are coveted like they are and I'm not just saying that because of my affiliation with Royal Exclsuiv. Not only does it have a great block but the custom needle wheel coupled with the CNC machined volute makes for one of the best skimmer pumps you can buy short of the RD3. My suggestion would be to buy a new RD1000 block or upgrade to the RD3 Speedy skimmer pump. Your skimmer will never perform the same with a cheap pump.

That said, before ruling your block dead, I would suggest taking a look at this thread and in particular the post regarding cleaning the bearing. When properly maintained, these Red Dragon pumps will last 10 years plus. Cleaning them every 4-5 months and properly breaking them down for cleaning is critical to insuring that the blocks doen't overload as a result of calcium buildup. The bearing is the most overlooked maintenance item when it comes to cleaning the pump and it's the one area when not properly cleaned that will create friction and excess load on the impeller and lead to premature failure of the block.

Check out post 2 in this thread in the Bubble King forum here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2573406
How much mod do I need to upgrade to the new red dragon pump. And which one exactly would I need

andrewbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 08:39 PM   #2852
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbram View Post
How much mod do I need to upgrade to the new red dragon pump. And which one exactly would I need
No mod needed.
This one will do the trick. This is the Double Cone version which is the exact same pump but has an extra stand included with it for the Double Cones. The Deluxe version does not include the stand but we are out of the deluxe version which is slightly less due to not including the stand. They are the same model pumps though. ..
http://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Red...-l-h::871.html

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 07:16 PM   #2853
Chrisrush
Registered Member

I just received my MBK 160. What's the optimal water height for it? Been running for about 48 hours. Also, do I keep the stand pipe open?

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 10:14 PM   #2854
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrush View Post
I just received my MBK 160. What's the optimal water height for it? Been running for about 48 hours. Also, do I keep the stand pipe open?
Optiomal depth will vary based on the amount of dissolved organics in your system and fish load. I would suggest opening the wedge wide open and adjusting the sump level until the line where bubbles turn to foam (this will be a very obvious line) are 1/4" to 1/2" below the white flange where the collection cup screws to the body. The let it settle in for 24 hours and adjust more if needed. That will be your driest skim position. Then use your wedge pipe to make it wetter as needed by closing the weed pipe.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 07/31/2016, 06:22 AM   #2855
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Quote:
Optiomal depth will vary based on the amount of dissolved organics in your system and fish load. I would suggest opening the wedge wide open and adjusting the sump level until the line where bubbles turn to foam (this will be a very obvious line) are 1/4" to 1/2" below the white flange where the collection cup screws to the body. The let it settle in for 24 hours and adjust more if needed. That will be your driest skim position. Then use your wedge pipe to make it wetter as needed by closing the weed pipe.
Great. Thanks for all the help Scott.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 09:46 PM   #2856
Dugless
Registered Member

For a 125 gal with a small sump skimmer section I was considering th BK Mini 180 extra slim, but after reading I'm leaning towards the 200 Mini extra slim as it has the Red Dragon Speedy 3. Would this be oversized too drastically?

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 08:22 AM   #2857
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
For a 125 gal with a small sump skimmer section I was considering th BK Mini 180 extra slim, but after reading I'm leaning towards the 200 Mini extra slim as it has the Red Dragon Speedy 3. Would this be oversized too drastically?
What kind of Bio-Load, fish count, and reef style (SPS/LPS/mixed) is your tank. Any other filtration ... algae scrubber, fuge etc...

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 09:47 AM   #2858
Dugless
Registered Member

This is in plans for a new setup, so nothing acquired just yet. It would be SPS with med-high bio load. I'm thinking 20+ fish. No scrubber, but a small refugium with chaeto. I like to keep things simple and rely on water changes, about 25% each month.

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 11:23 AM   #2859
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
This is in plans for a new setup, so nothing acquired just yet. It would be SPS with med-high bio load. I'm thinking 20+ fish. No scrubber, but a small refugium with chaeto. I like to keep things simple and rely on water changes, about 25% each month.
Given the limited load, I would stick with the Mini 180 or a better choice would be the Double Cone 180. I think the Mini 200 is ultimately on the large size for your system and would need a REALLY heavy load on that size display for best consistency.

Unread 09/26/2016, 01:36 AM   #2860
ndds1
Registered Member

Hello, does anyone know if the BK mini 160 can fit in the skimmer section on the Trigger Systems Emerald 26? Thanks.

ndds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 09:32 AM   #2861
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndds1 View Post
Hello, does anyone know if the BK mini 160 can fit in the skimmer section on the Trigger Systems Emerald 26? Thanks.

According to the specs here, the trigger systems Emerald 26 has a skimmer section that is: 8.25″ x 10″

The Mini 160 has a footprint of: 9.44" x 9.05".. Based on that, I don't think it would fit. That's a pretty small skimmer space.

Here is the spec sheet for the Mini 160.
http://royalexclusiv.net/images/cont...bk_160_eng.pdf

Unread 12/06/2016, 10:36 AM   #2862
Mjm376bh
Registered Member

Good day everyone and thanks for all the wonderful information here! I'm new to the hobby and also a very new owner of a BK Double Cone 130 - what an amazing product!

Question I have: every time I shut down the skimmer to empty the cup, I have to do a couple of restarts. On the first restart, the pump doesn't have full power. A second restart gets it back to full power and then it works with no problems until the next time I have to shut down the skimmer. Any thoughts?

The skimmer is plugged into the Apex power bar.

Thank you!

Mjm376bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 02:38 PM   #2863
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjm376bh View Post
Good day everyone and thanks for all the wonderful information here! I'm new to the hobby and also a very new owner of a BK Double Cone 130 - what an amazing product!

Question I have: every time I shut down the skimmer to empty the cup, I have to do a couple of restarts. On the first restart, the pump doesn't have full power. A second restart gets it back to full power and then it works with no problems until the next time I have to shut down the skimmer. Any thoughts?

The skimmer is plugged into the Apex power bar.

Thank you!
Glad you found the Bubble King forum here at RC as I don't monitor this thread as closely as I should since it's in a sub forum.

Per your question in the Bubble King forum, one of two things would be your issue. You either need to take the pump apart and completely clean it by soaking the block and impeller in vinegar. Calcium could be building up inside the block which would cause friction where the impeller shaft goes into the bearing inside the block. The 2nd possibility would be that there is water in the venturi line which would make it seem that the pump isn't running at full speed. An easy way to test and clean that issue without restarting the pump would be to place a finger over the air intake on the silencer when you first start the pump up. Then release it after a few seconds. That will clear any water from the line. if you skimmer is in more than 7" of water, this is the likely cause. Also, if you do nothing and let the pump run for a few minutes, the water will clear itself. It can be compounded by salt creep in the venturi inlet on the pumps nozzle. As such, it's wise to remove the nozzle from the block and inspect the venturi intake nipple and clear out any salt that is crusted up in there. I use a tooth pick to do that.

Unread 01/24/2017, 06:18 AM   #2864
VJV
Registered Member

Hi, I have a 760 liter (200 gallon) system with a moderate fish load (currently 11, planning to end around 16). The system includes a 100 liter refugium. I was wondering if the BK double cone 200 would be enough (they do advertise it for up to 1000 liters) and if the RD3 speedy upgrade is really worth it (is it that much more quite?)

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 11:35 AM   #2865
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Hi, I have a 760 liter (200 gallon) system with a moderate fish load (currently 11, planning to end around 16). The system includes a 100 liter refugium. I was wondering if the BK double cone 200 would be enough (they do advertise it for up to 1000 liters) and if the RD3 speedy upgrade is really worth it (is it that much more quite?)

Many thanks

The Double Cone 200 would be perfect fine for you size display. The RD3 makes fine tuning much easier and is dead silent. It's also more efficient since the optimal setting for that skimmer will be between 28 and 32 watts.

Unread 01/24/2017, 11:38 AM   #2866
VJV
Registered Member

Quote:
The Double Cone 200 would be perfect fine for you size display. The RD3 makes fine tuning much easier and is dead silent. It's also more efficient since the optimal setting for that skimmer will be between 28 and 32 watts.

Thanks! I guess my question would be if you believe the 180 would be enough. By the way, I also found the Royal Exclusive Forum and posted on that one as well, with a bit more detail regarding fish load.

Unread 01/25/2017, 09:55 AM   #2867
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Thanks! I guess my question would be if you believe the 180 would be enough. By the way, I also found the Royal Exclusive Forum and posted on that one as well, with a bit more detail regarding fish load.

As I said in the other thread, I would suggest the 200. The 180 is marginally too small. While it will work, you would be pushing the limits of it if you plan on increasing your load or feeding. The 200 would allow you room to grow your load.

Unread 01/25/2017, 11:36 AM   #2868
VJV
Registered Member

Understood. Thanks!

Unread 03/21/2017, 07:10 PM   #2869
tenurepro
Registered Member

Hi All - I managed to pick up a BK mini 160, gen 2 from a fellow reefer who was taking apart his tank. It skims really well - much better than the bubble magus curve a5 that it replaced. My only issue is - it is the loudest thing in my tank right now. The BM was nearly silent. Not sure if the operational sound from the bubble king is normal, or if there is something wrong with the impeller. The sound is an obvious 'hum'. not the sound of metal on metal. i replaced the pump body and bearing, but the impeller looked good so i didn't' replace it. After placing it on a silicone pad to dampen noise, i am reading 67 db right up to the skimmer between skimmer head and skimmer body; is that normal?

If you have a bk mini 160, i would HIGHLY appreciate it if you can take a decibel meter (or an app - decibel 10th is what i use) and take a measurement for me (right up to where the cup sits on the skimmer body).

Thanks in advance!

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 07:50 AM   #2870
Galizio
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Hi All - I managed to pick up a BK mini 160, gen 2 from a fellow reefer who was taking apart his tank. It skims really well - much better than the bubble magus curve a5 that it replaced. My only issue is - it is the loudest thing in my tank right now. The BM was nearly silent. Not sure if the operational sound from the bubble king is normal, or if there is something wrong with the impeller. The sound is an obvious 'hum'. not the sound of metal on metal. i replaced the pump body and bearing, but the impeller looked good so i didn't' replace it. After placing it on a silicone pad to dampen noise, i am reading 67 db right up to the skimmer between skimmer head and skimmer body; is that normal?

If you have a bk mini 160, i would HIGHLY appreciate it if you can take a decibel meter (or an app - decibel 10th is what i use) and take a measurement for me (right up to where the cup sits on the skimmer body).

Thanks in advance!

I just got an used bk180 off a fellow reefer, use to have a RE alpha cone 200, have to say the bk is way louder than the alpha, the motor block got replace with a brand new Laguna . Never owned a bk before and honestly I hear people always say that they are quiet... anyways sounds loud to me, the same app you use showed me 59-60 db.

Galizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 09:41 AM   #2871
tenurepro
Registered Member

Thanks! close enough... maybe other things in my sump vibrating and adding a few more db's

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 09:46 AM   #2872
Galizio
Registered Member

I'm going to try silicone trivet

Unread 03/23/2017, 09:52 AM   #2873
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
I just got an used bk180 off a fellow reefer, use to have a RE alpha cone 200, have to say the bk is way louder than the alpha, the motor block got replace with a brand new Laguna . Never owned a bk before and honestly I hear people always say that they are quiet... anyways sounds loud to me, the same app you use showed me 59-60 db.

You indicated the block was replaced with a Laguna. was this on the MBK 180? It's possible that when it was glued down to the base, it wasn't glued down flush with the bottom which could be causing the nozzle to have too much contact with the skimmer body. When we ship replacement blocks, they are bonded to a new base. The only way to swap the block in your case would have been to pry the original block off the original base before gluing the Laguna block to it. Also, nut sure what Laguna block was used in your 180 but the MBK 180's ship with a RD1000. If they used a Laguna 1500 or 1350. the impeller would be spinning at a higher rate of speed than it was designed to. This could cause vibration as could the bearing if it's not seated properly or if the end of the impeller is worn.

I would suggest taking the skimmer complete apart and disassembling the pump. Remove the impeller and the bearing and inspect everything. Check the end of the impeller shaft for build up and or abnormal wear. Make sure it's nice and smooth. The only thing that kills the pumps is improper maintenance which can lead to the damage to the impeller shaft where it goes into the bearing at the base of the magnet cavity.
Take a look at the thread below regarding maintenance on these pumps. Post 2 shows the bearing and how to remove and install it.

One other thing. If this skimmer was just setup, it will quiet down once it breaks in but I would still go through everything just to be certain it's all clean inside the pump and assembled properly. .

Unread 03/23/2017, 12:09 PM   #2874
Galizio
Registered Member

Quote:
You indicated the block was replaced with a Laguna. was this on the MBK 180? It's possible that when it was glued down to the base, it wasn't glued down flush with the bottom which could be causing the nozzle to have too much contact with the skimmer body. When we ship replacement blocks, they are bonded to a new base. The only way to swap the block in your case would have been to pry the original block off the original base before gluing the Laguna block to it. Also, nut sure what Laguna block was used in your 180 but the MBK 180's ship with a RD1000. If they used a Laguna 1500 or 1350. the impeller would be spinning at a higher rate of speed than it was designed to. This could cause vibration as could the bearing if it's not seated properly or if the end of the impeller is worn.

I would suggest taking the skimmer complete apart and disassembling the pump. Remove the impeller and the bearing and inspect everything. Check the end of the impeller shaft for build up and or abnormal wear. Make sure it's nice and smooth. The only thing that kills the pumps is improper maintenance which can lead to the damage to the impeller shaft where it goes into the bearing at the base of the magnet cavity.

Take a look at the thread below regarding maintenance on these pumps. Post 2 shows the bearing and how to remove and install it.

One other thing. If this skimmer was just setup, it will quiet down once it breaks in but I would still go through everything just to be certain it's all clean inside the pump and assembled properly. .

Thank you skied for your reply, yes the Laguna is in the MBk 180. The motor block I'm pretty sure is a 1350, I can check when home...
if it is what do you suggest to do, I can probably get a bigger impeller.
The motor block was replaced by the previous owner, that probably didn't know much about it, so if I can figure it out with the help of you expert be great. As I said never had a bk mini before, so I'm not familiar with the unit...
Thank you

Unread 03/23/2017, 12:19 PM   #2875
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
Thank you skied for your reply, yes the Laguna is in the MBk 180. The motor block I'm pretty sure is a 1350, I can check when home...
if it is what do you suggest to do, I can probably get a bigger impeller.
The motor block was replaced by the previous owner, that probably didn't know much about it, so if I can figure it out with the help of you expert be great. As I said never had a bk mini before, so I'm not familiar with the unit...
Thank you

You can't change the impeller because it's matched to the volute/pump cover and the skimmer. The skimmer will work with the more powerful block but it isn't necessarily ideal as these skimmers are designed with certain flow rates in mind. In the future we do sell the correct block with base for these skimmers. In the mean time, I would suggest going through the pump and skimmer as mentioned above. These are great skimmer and are set it and forget. They are made of very thick material and as you have probably noticed are very heavy. They are also very quiet once the skimmer gets some breakin time. This assuming it's assembled properly.

Here is a link to the manual for that skimmer too.