Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2019, 01:12 PM   #1
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Considering a 210 build

Hey all, so a dude on a local Facebook page has a 210 reef ready w/stand for sale for $300 bucks, QUITE the steal! It couldn't come at a better time as we've just built a house and we close in less than a month, and I got a sizable year end bonus from work so the wife gave me the green light to get the tank (not realizing what she just said yes to). The stand looks to be in decent shape as does the tank, I think I'll probably tank my time on this build, sand down the white paint on the stand and restain it to match the woodwork in the house and piece together a good system. Let's get down to the nitty gritty:

First; a LFS just started carrying a new line of tank called Pro Clear, they have a rimless 110 w/stand, sump, plumbing and an okay LED light (probably good for softies) for 1300 or so. I'm tempted to just get this instead because I LOVE the rimless look as opposed to having a big ugly rim to look at, also its new used so any variable that comes with a used tank is out of the question. That being said, I'd still need to source a few items. Skimmer, GOOD lights, powerhead, return pump being the main few.

IF I go with the 210, here's a few of my concerns;

Lighting: I'm a self proclaimed Ecotech fanboy. I'd most likely go with a set of three Radions (I'd consider AI, but so far I'm not too pleased with my AI Prime HD on my 20x20x20 cube). Would the Radion be able to penetrate a 30 inch deep tank? I plan on doing main SPS and LPS.

Flow: I've never used anything bigger than a MP10, would two MP40's be better than a MP60? I know the MP40 is rated for up to 500 gallons and two of them would literally be the same price as a single MP40.

Has anyone had any experience with Pro Clear? From just looking at the tank at the store, it seems to be very well made. Dare I say they may be come competition for Red Sea and their reefer tanks (except the lighting).

Current Tank Info: Currently setting up a Red Sea 625 XXL
wrxreefer823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2019, 06:59 AM   #2
fishuntbike
Registered Member

the bigger the tank the easier to stabilize and if you have the space I’ll go for the 210 besides you’ll save money buying this and can use on other things you need

Unread 03/10/2019, 07:13 AM   #3
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I know a larger system is much easier to care for. My 120 was a breeze compared to my nano. I've just been burned before buying used tanks, my 120 was a Craigslist special that I didn't notice all the fine scratches on until I got light on it. When I asked the seller what was up, the kid said he cleaned the algae build up off with steel wool.

Also- turns out the seller of this 210 was very impatient and sold it already even though we had agreed on me coming out this weekend to pick it up. Back to the drawing board I guess, I'd much rather have a rimless anyway!

Unread 03/12/2019, 07:28 AM   #4
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

So after looking at different options for a large rimless I've stuck between a rock and a hard place. I REALLY like the Red Sea Reefer 625 XL, however my buddy turned me on to Water Box aquariums. Their Reef Pro system is very comparable, and the 170 and 190 both have the 5 foot footprint that I really want. Heck even the 230 with a 6 foot footprint is only a few hundred more than the reefer 625 XL (comparing prices on the systems without lights). I've never seen Water Box aquariums in person, so I can't speak for the quality of the build. I've been reading reviews and they seem to be neck and neck, but I do like that Red Sea has been around for longer.

The third option would be to go with the Pro-Clear system that my LFS carries. They have a 105 gallon model that is 59x20x20 and comes with a sump and plumbing and a LED light that I'll surely sell/give away the second I buy it lol. They build quality looks pretty decent, not as nice as their Red Sea show tank, but the price is right at $1500 for the set up.

Unread 03/12/2019, 12:23 PM   #5
higorc
Higor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxreefer823 View Post
So after looking at different options for a large rimless I've stuck between a rock and a hard place. I REALLY like the Red Sea Reefer 625 XL, however my buddy turned me on to Water Box aquariums. Their Reef Pro system is very comparable, and the 170 and 190 both have the 5 foot footprint that I really want. Heck even the 230 with a 6 foot footprint is only a few hundred more than the reefer 625 XL (comparing prices on the systems without lights). I've never seen Water Box aquariums in person, so I can't speak for the quality of the build. I've been reading reviews and they seem to be neck and neck, but I do like that Red Sea has been around for longer.

The third option would be to go with the Pro-Clear system that my LFS carries. They have a 105 gallon model that is 59x20x20 and comes with a sump and plumbing and a LED light that I'll surely sell/give away the second I buy it lol. They build quality looks pretty decent, not as nice as their Red Sea show tank, but the price is right at $1500 for the set up.

What's up bud? I have a Red Sea 650 peninsula and love it. I considered the Water Box peninsula at one point, but ended up going with Red Sea instead because of how long they've been around and their reputation.

I might be a little bias at this point, but you should search people having issues with their Water Box tanks here and on Ree2Reef and decide for your self. You'll find some pretty worrying customer experience on these forums if you look for it.

Can't speak for Pro-Clear aquariums since I never heard of them until now, but I had a very bad experience with Cadlights (as did many other people if you do a little research) and will always opt for well established reputation over new aquarium builders.

Good luck choosing a tank and have fun. Starting a new tank is one of the most exciting parts of this hobby in my opinion.

Here's a picture of my Red Sea Peninsula, it's about 6 months old.

• Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula • ATI Sunpower 8x54W + 2 Reefbreeders Lumenbar • 2x Tunze 6105 • Skimz SM167 Skimmer • Apex•

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef Tank
higorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2019, 07:59 PM   #6
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higorc View Post
What's up bud? I have a Red Sea 650 peninsula and love it. I considered the Water Box peninsula at one point, but ended up going with Red Sea instead because of how long they've been around and their reputation.

I might be a little bias at this point, but you should search people having issues with their Water Box tanks here and on Ree2Reef and decide for your self. You'll find some pretty worrying customer experience on these forums if you look for it.

Can't speak for Pro-Clear aquariums since I never heard of them until now, but I had a very bad experience with Cadlights (as did many other people if you do a little research) and will always opt for well established reputation over new aquarium builders.

Good luck choosing a tank and have fun. Starting a new tank is one of the most exciting parts of this hobby in my opinion.

Here's a picture of my Red Sea Peninsula, it's about 6 months old.

Very nice tank! I would LOVE to get a peninsula style but our new house doesn't really have anywhere to put it. I like the standard 625 foot print as it'll go very nicely along the wall where the stairs are, plus there's a bathroom on the other side of that wall so I'm thinking plumbing in a RODI line might be in order. Maybe. If the wife lets me. Lol... I have about 6 and a half feet to play with as there's a light switch I don't want to block, so it should fit nicely into that corner.

Yes, I've been doing a lot of research and reading comparisons on the two, while I'm really tempted to save a few bucks on the Water Box system, I think I may just go with Red Sea and be done with it. The stand, for one, seems to be built a lot better, plus they've been around a while and can back their product. I like the idea of the Pro Clear line, but I think it's another Cad Lights fiasco. I know the owner and manager at my LFS pretty well and they both agree that Red Sea is the way to go. They were saying at the end of the month Red Sea is going to be introducing a newly updated line of Reefers featuring their own lights, wave makers, skimmers, the whole nine yards, so I'm going to hold out until at least then to see what comes down the road!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Unread 04/12/2019, 01:00 PM   #7
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Well it finally happened. I ordered a Reefer 625 today and I'm not looking back. It'll be here next week!

Unread 04/23/2019, 01:06 PM   #8
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Mods please close