Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2020, 03:23 PM   #1
rdnyva
Registered Member

Pairing Clownfish

Almost 2 years ago I bought 2 small Sebae Clowns. Breeding wasn’t the goal but I thought it would be cool to have a pair. They grew up and like most clowns the larger one became the female and harassed the smaller male to no end, but finally they bonded and were a pair.

I recently lost the male and was wondering the best method for a replacement. Do I get a small one and hope she doesn’t kill him, get a larger one that’s already possible female? Either way I know a fight will ensue. What are your recommendations? What works and what doesn’t?

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2
rdnyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 04:55 PM   #2
Apercula
Registered Member

I would look for the smallest possible replacement.

With my perculas the female was close to 3 inches and had been the only clown in the tank for 2 years. I got a male about an inch long and when I added him she initially looked like she was going to attack him, but she realized he was no threat and they bonded really fast.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 07:13 AM   #3
rdnyva
Registered Member

My female is 2 1/2+ inches, not quite 3. So what you’re saying is get a really small one, dump it in and hope for the best? No acclimation to each other, such as a small cage etc?

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2
rdnyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2020, 10:08 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnyva View Post
My female is 2 1/2+ inches, not quite 3. So what you’re saying is get a really small one, dump it in and hope for the best? No acclimation to each other, such as a small cage etc?
You can try to add the smaller directly to the tank but it might be better to use an acclimatization box.
Best would be to pair them in a neutral tank or in a tank where the smaller one has the home advantage. Since you should quarantine the new one it would be best to add the larger one to that tank once the smaller one has finished its 6 weeks an remained healthy. Then give them about a month to bond before putting them both (back) into the display.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote