Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2015, 03:01 PM   #1
perverseosmosis
Registered Member

Tricks for extending VorTech longevity?

Am I the only one who can't keep a VorTech wet side running smoothly for more than eight months?

In my year and change of owning 2 MP40's, I've had one outright warranty replacement at the start, bought two wetsides and a maintenance kit. I woke up this morning to the noise of my MP10 grinding the base of its ceramic bearing to bits.

All my pumps are spacer-ringed correctly and aligned as best I can manage. I don't think I have any more calcium build up than anyone else does (and none of my other equipment fails like this stuff does). Just to be safe, I vinegar them every 4 months or so.

Short of starting an amazon subscription for bearing maintenance kits, does anyone have a suggestion for ending this madness?

perverseosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Tradewinds
Registered Member

What mode and percentage are you running the pumps?

Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2015, 04:43 PM   #3
perverseosmosis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
What mode and percentage are you running the pumps?
Reefcrest to 100%. I also use the foamies in case my RBTA goes wondering.

Unread 01/24/2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Tradewinds
Registered Member

The pumps may be wearing out faster as you are running them at 100%, albeit in Reefcrest.

My MP40s have been running for several years with only occasional maintenance, but the highest I run them is 50%. I don't use the foam covers. How often are you cleaning the foam covers, as restricted flow would have to be harder on the pump as well.

How big is the tank?

Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2015, 09:44 PM   #5
perverseosmosis
Registered Member

I take the foamies off every other day so I can feed the tank. I clean them then. I've seen how they get when they get caked with goop. I don't let them get that far.

The tank is a 110 gallons. I can believe that running them at 100% is worse for them. You'd hope they'd have done the stress analysis and worked out what the proper max speed was and set 100% south of that.

My sinking feeling is that pump life expectancy is mostly tied to magnet/impeller alignment. Eye-balling (or ear-balling) the alignment on these things isn't good enough over months of use. Without tools to align them perfectly, any off-axis force eats away at the shafts and bearings.

I'm beginning to think of it this way: if Eheim announced that the shaft housings on their pumps are randomly off by a millimeter, we'd freak out and declare their products time bombs. 1mm is well within the margin of error while positioning a VorTech across 5/8" of glass.

It's too bad. I really like the flow they produce, but after dumping well over a $1000 into these pumps, I feel like a sucker dropping any more money on replacement parts.

I think I'll find something else.

Unread 01/26/2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Alex Y EcoTech
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perverseosmosis View Post
Am I the only one who can't keep a VorTech wet side running smoothly for more than eight months?

In my year and change of owning 2 MP40's, I've had one outright warranty replacement at the start, bought two wetsides and a maintenance kit. I woke up this morning to the noise of my MP10 grinding the base of its ceramic bearing to bits.

All my pumps are spacer-ringed correctly and aligned as best I can manage. I don't think I have any more calcium build up than anyone else does (and none of my other equipment fails like this stuff does). Just to be safe, I vinegar them every 4 months or so.

Short of starting an amazon subscription for bearing maintenance kits, does anyone have a suggestion for ending this madness?

I would recommend calling in today to discuss your warranty status and troubleshoot the issues you're having.

Alex Y EcoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Defuse
Registered Member

I have been having the same issues that you are describing. I have had to replace all 3 of my wet sides due to ceramic bering failure. Rather frustrating having to purchase new parts so soon after such a large initial investment.

Defuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Joe
Registered Member

I've had two gen 2 MP40Ws running on Reef crest for over seven years at 100%. I got them when the Gen 2s wireless were introduced. Other than a couple magnets for the wet-sides, and vinegar cleaning every four months or so, I haven't had any problems.

Joe

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Oceanic Tech Tank, Two MP40W Gen 2 Vortechs, H & S A-150-F2001 External Skimmer, Oceanic Model 3 Sump, Current Outer Orbit Pro 250 Watt MH/T5 Combo
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 12:37 AM   #9
perverseosmosis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I've had two gen 2 MP40Ws running on Reef crest for over seven years at 100%. I got them when the Gen 2s wireless were introduced. Other than a couple magnets for the wet-sides, and vinegar cleaning every four months or so, I haven't had any problems.

Joe
You seem to like them quite a bit. Let me know if you'd like to own two more.

Unread 01/31/2015, 07:23 PM   #10
AcroBluz
Registered Member

What do you count as longevity? I have had mine for quite a few years( mp40w converted to ES) and run them @ about 90% RC. I haven't had any issues except a power supply dying on me a few months ago. One day I might need to buy some rebuild parts but nothing as of yet (knock on wood)

AcroBluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 08:15 PM   #11
rcmike
Registered Member

Mine have been running since 2011 (I think) and I haven't done anything besides clean them very infrequently. I align them by feel mostly. I move the wet side until I feel the least vibration.

Current Tank Info: 110 oceanic, 2 Radion Pros, 2 MP40s, Apex controller
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 09:25 PM   #12
fritzz1111
Registered Member

I'm with tradewinds on this. In fact, it seems like I have a hard time running anything anywhere near 100%!

That being said.... I AM currently waiting on a wetside replacement for one of my two 40's, from BRS, so what do I know! Should be here Monday!

Current Tanks: FOWLR 29g Biocube (totally modified) and a FW 110g Discus tank

Current Tank Info: Current Build - FOWLR 155 Drilled Acrylic Hex with 40gallon Wet/Dry Sump (Removed all Bio Balls), SRO 2000Int Protein Skimmer, Mag 9.5 pump, Neptune Apex Controller - PM1, PM2, WXM, ADL, BOB, 3 Energy Bars, 2 MP40's, Radion XR30 (gen2), 150w heater.
fritzz1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 01:10 AM   #13
perverseosmosis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroBluz View Post
What do you count as longevity? I have had mine for quite a few years( mp40w converted to ES) and run them @ about 90% RC. I haven't had any issues except a power supply dying on me a few months ago. One day I might need to buy some rebuild parts but nothing as of yet (knock on wood)
Getting an MP40 to last longer than a year without a wet-side replacement or maintenance kit would be an improvement over my experience.

I don't think I align them differently than anyone else. I get them very close by eyeball and then I turn them on slowly. I position them until I feel the least vibration. I then ramp it up faster and repeat.

Eventually, they make noise and no amount of repositioning them fixes things.

Unread 02/05/2015, 04:20 PM   #14
dendrite
Registered Member

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. I have four mp-40's and a spare wet side. In the last 1 1/2 years I have had to repair/replace four of them. Ecotech has been more then gracious in all this, the pumps work great but I think that each month I will start cleaning, and tear down one pump at a time and see if that improves the situation. Not sure if there is anything else to do

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 10:14 PM   #15
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Two years with no problems on 2 MP40's and 2 MP10's. ReefLink....that's another story.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2015, 09:00 PM   #16
cidbozek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perverseosmosis View Post
You seem to like them quite a bit. Let me know if you'd like to own two more.
How much? When were they born?

Current Tank Info: 90 Mixed reef,Radion xp30w pro,RO Diablo,MP40,MP10s,Sump with fuge,40 breeder frag tank
cidbozek is offline   Reply With Quote