Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2017, 02:01 PM   #2151
Shown_nuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Hoping to get some input from you guys here on my proposed plans for a new steel stand. I checked around and found out a steel stand is not as expensive as I thought it might be. The dimensions are sorta rough right now but the overall tank dimensions will be 82" x 40" x 26" (roughly) peninsula eurobraced and I was hoping to have a little bit of overlap around the tank with the stand. The top will have a 3/4" piece of plywood and 1/8" yoga mat the front side against the wall will be skinned with plywood. Both sides and the back will remain open for access to the sump and any other equipment under the tank. Currently the sump measures 46" x 20" x 15".

Overall Stand Dimensions:
84" x 42" x 42"
Top of stand: 1.5 x 3 (Rectangular Tubing)
Legs and supports: 1.5 x 1.5 (Square Tubing)

Questions:
If using 1.5 square and rectangular tubing what gauge should it be? Currently think 11 gauge.

What's the longest span I should be able to go without a vertical support brace? Currently biggest opening is 40".

How big should my corner braces be? Currently they are 6"x6"

What the recommended thickness of the corner braces 1/4"?

I need to break the stand into two parts in order to get it in my home. What is usually a good place or way to divide.?

Nightowl,

Where are you located in Maryland? I live in Upper Marlboro but work by BWI Airport. If your don't mind, whom do you have making your stand? I am looking to have a steel stand built also and I do not know who to contact.

Shown_nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:25 PM   #2152
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konadog View Post
nightOwl, if you look back on the first page, you'll see a few stands that are close to yours (including mine). I didn't use any corner bracing either, I just drilled into the stand to secure my cover. My stand was 60l x 30w x 40t, and I think the center gap was 36" wide, with 12" gaps on the sides. I used 2" tubing, and don't remember what gauge it was, but it wasn't thin. I think your split would be fine, but I would find a way to bolt it together once in place to keep things level.
Konadog - I looked back and your stand looked very very sturdy...lol. I will try to discus some options with the builder. Keep in mind I will also have a 3/4" sheet of plywood secured to to the stand. I am hoping that with the connection points along the horizontal seam and the sheet of plywood everything will remain level and secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
My C shaped idea was vertically stacked, which i am far more comfortable with than two cantilever ends on a horizontal set...

It would depend on the fastening how much strength you lose in that gap. Done right would mean putting in sleeves in the tube so you can actually tighten them without crushing it. Ideally fairly tight fitting so they don't have to just rely on friction to not slide off plane, maybe even pins or lips to help prevent it.
Gorgok - I was thinking about how the two pieces would be connected. I was thinking I would need multiple contact points but did not put it in my model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shown_nuff View Post
Nightowl,

Where are you located in Maryland? I live in Upper Marlboro but work by BWI Airport. If your don't mind, whom do you have making your stand? I am looking to have a steel stand built also and I do not know who to contact.
Shown_nuff - I am in Capitol Heights MD not too far from where you are. I think I am going to be having the guys over at
Capital Heights Iron Works
chironworks@gmail.com
(301)336-1127

do my stand. They seemed pretty reasonable for just the stand.

What size stand or tank are you looking to get?

Unread 01/24/2017, 05:19 AM   #2153
Shown_nuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl;24925854
Shown_nuff - I am in Capitol Heights MD not too far from where you are. I think I am going to be having the guys over at
Capital Heights Iron Works
[email
chironworks@gmail.com[/email]
(301)336-1127

do my stand. They seemed pretty reasonable for just the stand.

What size stand or tank are you looking to get?
Thanks. I am looking to get a stand built for a 90 gallon. I also have a $70 corner that I would like to look at getting a stand built for. Maybe I will get some renderings of a stand and pay them a visit.

Shown_nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 08:54 PM   #2154
GiulianoM
Registered Member

How's this for a stand?

2"x4" tubing, .120 wall.

96" L x 36" W x 44" H.

Mass of the steel projected to weigh 420 pounds...

Calculated to have 0.12mm maximum deflection at 5000 pounds.

Deflection

Safety Factor

Strain

Stress

I'm planning on a ~360 Gallon tank at 96" x 36" x 24", which would probably come out to around 3500 pounds... so 5000 is a bit excessive.

GiulianoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 05:06 PM   #2155
Dxpert
Registered Member

Amazing information in this thread!

Dxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 09:28 PM   #2156
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiulianoM View Post
How's this for a stand?

2"x4" tubing, .120 wall.

96" L x 36" W x 44" H.

Mass of the steel projected to weigh 420 pounds...

Calculated to have 0.12mm maximum deflection at 5000 pounds.

Deflection

Safety Factor

Strain

Stress

I'm planning on a ~360 Gallon tank at 96" x 36" x 24", which would probably come out to around 3500 pounds... so 5000 is a bit excessive.
Hey what software are you using to make the pictures? Can you create for any stand?

Unread 02/05/2017, 09:35 PM   #2157
GiulianoM
Registered Member

I used Autodesk Fusion 360, it's free for hobbyists.

You can do static load simulations like this for free.

You can do dynamic load simulations too (like racking simulations), but those cost cloud credits at $15 a pop.

Somewhat simple to use, though I'm still learning from my experience with SketchUp.

Unread 02/05/2017, 09:57 PM   #2158
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiulianoM View Post
I used Autodesk Fusion 360, it's free for hobbyists.

You can do static load simulations like this for free.

You can do dynamic load simulations too (like racking simulations), but those cost cloud credits at $15 a pop.

Somewhat simple to use, though I'm still learning from my experience with SketchUp.
GiulianoM - Thanks for the info! I may have to download and see how my stand holds up. If all works out well I will post the results in the next few days.

Unread 02/05/2017, 10:08 PM   #2159
GiulianoM
Registered Member

Here's how I did it:

I created a Sketch of the tubing cross section, dimensioned it to size, used Offset to make the wall thickness, and filleted the inside and outside corners.

The dimensions are named, so they can be used in calculations. Fillet radius is TubeWall * 3, for example.

Extrude the cross sectio, and you have a tube.

Make it into a Component, and now you have parts to Assemble together.

Change the sketch, and all the parts change.

I'm going to adjust my model down to 1.5"x3" tube and see how it does.

Unread 04/18/2017, 07:17 AM   #2160
hoover86
Registered Member

Great thread on steel stand construction but I'm surprised I don't see more ways that everyone is COVERING these stands?!?!? My project is not an in-wall so I've been trying to think of great ways to cover it.

What are some things people have done with covering their stands??? My fiancé wants wood but then I might as well just build a wood one!!! LOL

Unread 04/18/2017, 08:49 AM   #2161
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover86 View Post
Great thread on steel stand construction but I'm surprised I don't see more ways that everyone is COVERING these stands?!?!? My project is not an in-wall so I've been trying to think of great ways to cover it.

What are some things people have done with covering their stands??? My fiancé wants wood but then I might as well just build a wood one!!! LOL
I have a wrought iron angle stand for my 180 and I'm in the middle of constructing the canopy and shell. I made a wood frame and I plan on wrapping it in 3/4 walnut plywood. I'm making two doors and two panels that attach by magnets so the whole stand can be wide open like I'm used to it being now.

Unread 04/18/2017, 08:52 AM   #2162
hoover86
Registered Member

That's exactly what I was wondering about. Not sure where I could get walnut plywood though! Keep us updated on your progress. I thought about the same type of idea and putting it on rollers to just roll away from the metal stand with the sides acting almost like doors on hinges and maybe some magnets. I've seen some people even use types of flooring as well.

Unread 04/18/2017, 08:32 PM   #2163
pfoxgrover
Registered Member

I am thinking of adding a Corian ledge to recess the sand bed like these photos I found online. I would use wood sides held on by magnets. The think I can DIY the Corian much like working working with acrylic but I can't find much info on that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59678_1392843320_BECO.jpg (57.9 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg stand4 (3).jpg (79.5 KB, 548 views)
pfoxgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 10:19 PM   #2164
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

Am I disqualified for using marine grade 6" aluminum channel?

It's 6' x 2' and 42" tall for my 215 gallon tank build.

[IMG]1 2 3 4[/IMG]

ratherbeflyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2017, 11:52 PM   #2165
bdinnerv
Registered Member

Here is my recent stand, supporting a 4x4x2.5 / 300g tank

The top hoop is 50mm x 50mm x 4mm as are the vertical legs, the rest is 50 x 50 x 2.5 - total weight of the stand is 85kg.

We should have doors / enclosure on it in the next few weeks.

bdinnerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 12:53 PM   #2166
BigDave
Registered Member

Quote:

I ended up using wood.

I used 1x material and faced both sides with 1/4" plywood. I filled the void with structural foam. I then embedded 1" magnets along the top edge of each panel. All 3 sides are held on with just the magnets. This allows me to pull all three sides off of the stand when I need to work on the equipment.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 01:54 PM   #2167
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
That's exactly what I was wondering about. Not sure where I could get walnut plywood though! Keep us updated on your progress. I thought about the same type of idea and putting it on rollers to just roll away from the metal stand with the sides acting almost like doors on hinges and maybe some magnets. I've seen some people even use types of flooring as well.
You can order it at HD if you really wanted it, or a local lumber yard. I'll definitely keep you updated. I painted the canopy frame the other day with white waterproof paint and got my lights back up until this is finished. I ordered a small piece of walnut ply that is coming on Monday to test different stains and practice cutting so I dont tear the veneer on the big sheets.

My 125 to 180 thread has a lot of the progress on the last page. i just didn't update it with the painted pictures yet.

Unread 04/21/2017, 06:36 AM   #2168
pfoxgrover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
I ended up using wood.

I used 1x material and faced both sides with 1/4" plywood. I filled the void with structural foam. I then embedded 1" magnets along the top edge of each panel. All 3 sides are held on with just the magnets. This allows me to pull all three sides off of the stand when I need to work on the equipment.
Can we get a picture?

Unread 04/21/2017, 12:54 PM   #2169
BigDave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoxgrover View Post
Can we get a picture?
Sure!

The Stand build can be found here: http://reef.wallings.net/index.php/e...t/steel-stand/

My ReefCentral build log is here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2557014

Here's some of the final pictures:

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 01:56 AM   #2170
shiftline
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 01:59 PM   #2171
WLachnit
Registered Member

I just changed out my 300g acrylic to 300g starfire glass. So I decided to pull out the wood stand and replace it with a steel stand. The top are 2x4 rails and most of the vertical supports are 2x2 on angle iron. It also has six leveling feet.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 06:29 AM   #2172
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

We had a long delay and now my welder said he is free to do the welding this week, so I have to make a last minute call on the design. The tank is a 5'x2'x2' 150 gallon and it will sit on the furthermost right 60.5" of the stand (the stand is 72" total to give room for the peninsula plumbing and the 75 gallon sump). If using 2x2x3/16" steel, will this design work? I know there are some larger gaps between vertices, but I'd like to be able to fit the sump in parallel.

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 02:36 PM   #2173
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

Tanks only need to be supported on the ends. I'm not an engineer, but if I was going to build a stand longer than the tank, I would have vertical supports directly under the ends of the tank. In fact the guys over at Tidal Gardens have no center brace at all. They just stack up bricks on the ends.

[IMG] image bbcode[/IMG]

If your stand has more or better support in the middle than the ends of the tank, it has a high risk of breaking the tank. Glass is stronger under compression than tension.

ratherbeflyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 09:38 AM   #2174
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdinnerv View Post
Here is my recent stand, supporting a 4x4x2.5 / 300g tank

The top hoop is 50mm x 50mm x 4mm as are the vertical legs, the rest is 50 x 50 x 2.5 - total weight of the stand is 85kg.

We should have doors / enclosure on it in the next few weeks.

Love those dimensions! A lot of flexibility with aquascaping.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 01:49 PM   #2175
pfoxgrover
Registered Member

leveling feet

how do these leveling feet look?

[URL="https://www.zoro.com/s-w-level-mount-swivel-stud-38-16-1-3764in-bsnyla13/i/G1905863[/URL]

Thread Size: 3/8-16
Includes: Locking Nut
Leveling Mount Type: Swiveling Stud
Hex: 3/4"
Item: Leveling Mount
Bolt Length: 3"
Base Dia.: 1-37/64"
Load Capacity: 2500 lb.
Construction: Stainless Steel
Base: Nylon
Height: 4-1/16"
Finish: Stainless steel

They have a plastic base and the metal is stainless
I planning on using 9 of them for a 375g tank. They are about 12 bucks each.
Also should I use a fancy tee nut or captured bolt or just weld in a standard nut?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z_J3Ixfo5oy.JPG (6.7 KB, 394 views)