Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2008, 02:18 PM   #1
jade2122
Registered Member

How long can live rock be out of water?

This weekend I am switching out my tanks and I want to do the aquascaping of my new tank right. I want to be able to take my time getting it just right, so I want to figure out my desired formations outside of the tank and then reassemble inside tank. Question being if I keep the rock moist how long can it be out of water without die off? Thanks

jade2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 02:19 PM   #2
The_Browns
Registered Member

Awesome, I was about to make the same post, I am going to be doing the same thing. Tagging along for this one.

Current Tank Info: 120g DT and 35g frag tank
The_Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 02:30 PM   #3
acrodave
REEF NERD

If there are no corals on it you can leave it out for hours. All most all rock is shipped from Fiji to LA then to were ever and its is only packed damp

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said

Less technology more biology

Tattoos are the only art you can take to the grave

Current Tank Info: 26gal bow,20gal mantis tank/fuge150wHQI,20k AB Seio 620 maxijet1200x's 2 on a wave maker. all sps
acrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 02:38 PM   #4
hyperfocal
Registered Member

Depends what else is on it. Many sponges react poorly to being left out in the air, and rotting sponges are not something you want in your tank in any quantity. Personally, I'd keep my rock under water -- a couple of appropriately sized containers should cost you all of $20 at Home Depot.

Current Tank Info: getting back into the hobby
hyperfocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 02:39 PM   #5
The_Browns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
Depends what else is on it. Many sponges react poorly to being left out in the air, and rotting sponges are not something you want in your tank in any quantity. Personally, I'd keep my rock under water -- a couple of appropriately sized containers should cost you all of $20 at Home Depot.
Well when I do my custom aquascaping, i will be drilling holes in the rocks so they will need to be out of water.

Current Tank Info: 120g DT and 35g frag tank
The_Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 02:48 PM   #6
kizkiz
Registered Member

The simple answer is that they start dying as soon as you remove them
As stated above, sponges will die straight away

The less time the better.
The guy who posted, do as said above and stick em in containers of your current tank water. Get fresh made up and call it a big water change.

The guy drilling, nothing you can do except keep each piece in water until needed, then get it back asap after drilling. Shouldn't be out for more than a couple of mins

kizkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 03:02 PM   #7
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Most of the live rock in our tanks and the associated animals are collected intertidally. Almost all of them are exposed to air during the lowest tides, even though they may still get splashed or have the occasional wave make it high enough to keep them damp. You don't want to take them out and let them totally dry out for hours at a time, but as long as you keep them damp, the life on them should be fine. (That's why suppliers are able to ship most live rock damp, or wrapped in wet cloth, rather than in water.)

Good luck,

Don

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 03:07 PM   #8
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

^ Agreed. You think they ship crates of this stuff in water? No way, it is shipped damp. It can be kept out of water, but damp, for hours.

And I dont know where that sponge myth came from. maybe its true for sponges you would buy at the LFS, but the sponges on collected LR can certianly be exposed to air... do you think that LR was never taken out of water? I've got a few types of sponge which have been doing great since I got my rock... they have been out of water for a few hours a few different times... never noticed anything bad come of it.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 03:36 PM   #9
kizkiz
Registered Member

And how much live rock turns up damp from indonesia without needing to be cycled?
lmao
Of course it can be kept damp and be ok, already been said.
Bottom line is that stuff out of water starts to die straight away, bacteria for instance.
The less time it's out of the water the better

kizkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 03:48 PM   #10
mouscacha
Premium Member

Not only should you not keep them in water, but make sure to keep them in a bucket for no less than 1 day. They start to rot in stagnant water.

mouscacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2008, 04:06 PM   #11
hyperfocal
Registered Member

There's a big difference between shipped live rock, and rock coming out of and heading back into a tank. The longer the rock is kept out of the water, the more likely there is to be some die off and subsequent cycle.

Like I said, *I* would spend $20 on a couple of cheap tubs and keep the rock as wet as possible for as long as possible. I don't see much of a downside ($20? C'mon, it's less than the cost of a junky frag) but see a valuable upside (Better chance of keeping stuff alive. Why wouldn't I?) Plus, if you "go dry" you better hope something doesn't go wrong along the way, because you aren't leaving yourself with a place to keep the rock overnight if need be.

Don't think it's necessary? Don't do it.

Current Tank Info: getting back into the hobby
hyperfocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 10:39 AM   #12
incloud
Registered Member

Don't leave hundreds of dollars worth of Coral baking in the sun. Build your structure, drill holes, keep a spray bottle of tank water to dampen, rinse rock in tank water you removed, place your aquascape, finish your water change. Regardless of the transition and die off in a month you're back in action with a beautiful scape. It's not science, it's common sense. I don't know about anyone else but my reef is always cycling one way or another. Certainly not a set it and forget it hobby.

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 03:47 PM   #13
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incloud View Post
Don't leave hundreds of dollars worth of Coral baking in the sun. Build your structure, drill holes, keep a spray bottle of tank water to dampen, rinse rock in tank water you removed, place your aquascape, finish your water change. Regardless of the transition and die off in a month you're back in action with a beautiful scape. It's not science, it's common sense. I don't know about anyone else but my reef is always cycling one way or another. Certainly not a set it and forget it hobby.
you do realize this guy asked this question 10 years ago !!!!!.....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 04:30 PM   #14
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
you do realize this guy asked this question 10 years ago !!!!!.....
True, but we both responded today.

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote