Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: If you where me, what would you buy
Kessil A360 8 47.06%
Radion XR30W G4 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2018, 11:04 PM   #1
GingerMurse18
Registered Member

Experiences with Kessil vs. Radion

I finally convinced the wife to let me have my dream tank. So i am putting together a 150gal SPS dominant tank. I have used Kessils in the past and had little to no issues, but it was mainly an LPS tank. Been reading reviews of both the XR30W G4 and Kessil A360W, now I am unable to decide. Are radion's worth the $$? Are people really seeing failures in the Kessils within a year or two? Thank you for your opinions and time.

GingerMurse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 11:26 AM   #2
lancesmith1
Registered Member

if I were doing LED only, I would strongly consider the Orphek Atlantik. If hybrid with T5 the others will work.

lancesmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 11:37 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

I've run Kessil 360WE's for a number of years and never had a failure. I had 10 of them running at one point.

Tough call between the two. The Kessils do a great job in growing corals as do the Radions. I personally love the Kessils due to their simplicity, output and shimmer but the Radions have one advantage in that they have lots of control over the color channels where as the Kessils just allow control between white and blue. That control does kind of complicate things a bit when it comes to setup and tuning. On the flip side, two Kessil 360WE's will provide more spread than a single XR30 which is something to consider.

You might also take a look at the GHL Mitras LX7206's. When I upgraded my lighting on my main system, I chose the LX7's over the Radion Pro G4's due to better spread, less disco effect, more even light distribution coupled with a very similar mix of diodes. That said, I could have used a couple more over my display so I am currently running a mix of Kessils and Mitras.

That said, between the 360WE's and the Radions, both are great lights and are very capable, reliable and backed with great service and support.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 01:46 PM   #4
GingerMurse18
Registered Member

Thank you all for the Advice. So many options that are really good. Being a ICU nurse i am very OCD and this makes it hard to choose. So i tha k you for taking the time to share your expirences.

GingerMurse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 02:10 PM   #5
PeterHall
Registered Member

Both are great lights. I personally have radion gen 3s over my 300. But ive set up friends tanks with a kessil 160 and ap700. They all look great. Have you decided on tank dimensions? That plays a huge factor on picking your lights. My tank 36inch wide so i have the radions two deep. I also bought them used for around $250 each so if you have the time start keeping an eye out for deals.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PeterHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Conchman
Registered Member

I think both are great lights. I am running a single Radion Gen 15 Pro on my SCA 60. I will upgrade that to a 30, then move the 15 to a soon to be setup frag tank. On my older tank I had a Radion 30 Gen 1, they are work horses...

Conchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 03:47 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I actually run both over my 450. I did have one 360 fail, but it was within the 2 year warranty period so K replaced it. I think either can grow inverts just fine. I have a slight preference for the Radion as my main light, but could live with either. The one thing that does annoy me about the R30 is that the fans are on 24/7.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 12:01 PM   #8
lokmar
Registered Member

I've owned both and like the results/colors with the Radeons a bit better. The other thing is I think the Radeon has better cooling.

I do have a Kessil for the refuge and it grows algae like nothing else! Before I had the Eshopps Refugium light and it was worthless.

lokmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 01:01 PM   #9
smatter
Registered Member

For color blending and the most natural look I'd choose Kessil. I have a few different puck style lights that have all ended up on the equipment heap in the cellar. Total control over every single color is a detriment not an advantage in my book. The Kessil form factor is also very minimalist and elegant.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 02:40 PM   #10
sarcophytonIndy
Registered Member

Absolutely love 360WE's with Apex controller. I adjust the intensity and color (blue-white) to simulate dawn, day, dusk.

sarcophytonIndy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kessil a360w, radion gen 4, sps dominated