Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Lorekeeper
Registered Member

Please help me ID this bleached anemone!

I was recently given an anemone that had been closed up in an LFS's tank for over a week. I brought it home, and it began to open pretty quickly in my tank. However, I have no earthly idea what it is. It was listed as a Long Tentacle, but it doesn't really resemble any pictures of those I've seen.

Any help is appreciated!

https://i.imgur.com/YmoDRGt.jpg

Lorekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Looks like a bta. That thing is almost translucent, wow.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 01:07 PM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Wow, ghost anemone!
Super bleached.

Really need to see foot for ID, LTA have a red foot, and will go to sand bed, not rock, but it could be BTA maybe.

Squirt mysis towards it to help regain health and color

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Lorekeeper
Registered Member

Yeah, the store I found it in was a fish-only store. They ordered the nem in for a customer who just never showed up to buy it, and so it sat and starved in that tank. Luckily, the owner is a pretty good guy and gave it to me to see if I could save it.

The foot is pink, and gets darker as it goes down, but it never gets to red. That's one of the big reasons I've thought of it as something other than an LTA. If you'd like I can try and get a good pic of it's foot during a WC today.

And I'll do just that to feed. Thanks so much!

Unread 06/16/2018, 02:17 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

It might be so bleached the foot may be pink instead of red.

In extreme cases, a zooxanthellae transplant may help, read the sticky by orion above, but in the meantime mysis often helps

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 06/16/2018, 02:35 PM   #6
Lorekeeper
Registered Member

I have no idea where I'd get a tentacle from a healthy nem. The reefing community locally is pretty much zilch, so that'd take some doing.

I squirted some mysis onto the nem, and it appeared to spit out it's insides around the mysis. Seems like a bad sign?

Unread 06/16/2018, 02:39 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

If there is any color at all it can come back, but of course it's not going to happen overnight, just keep doing that a couple times a week and see what happens, I always lean towards being hopeful, at least it now has a chance

Unread 06/16/2018, 02:40 PM   #8
Lorekeeper
Registered Member

Okay, thank you so much!

Unread 06/16/2018, 07:55 PM   #9
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

There's reef shops locally, I guess it just depends on the amount you're willing to drive though... I go to cinci/louisville all the time for reef shopping, there's a really nice place in georgetown now too.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 07:57 PM   #10
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

There's also a local club that has a swap every year, Big Blue Reef.

Unread 06/16/2018, 10:25 PM   #11
Lorekeeper
Registered Member

A 2 hour drive for something like that is a bit much, unless I have a reason to be in Louisville anyway. As for the place in Georgetown, I haven't heard of it yet; I'll look it up.

Big Blue Reef has never been a good experience for me. I was a member for a few years, and never found it worth my time. Granted, I wasn't able to take full advantage of it, but still. Not my cup of tea, I guess.

I'll shoot a message out to the shop in Lexington and to whatever I can find in Georgetown and see what the deal is.

Thanks for the info, bud!

Unread 06/17/2018, 09:46 AM   #12
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Definitely a bit far unless you're planning on shopping as well lol. The place in Georgetown is called Into the Blue Aquatics and it's not your run of the mill pet store, the owner is serious and taking most of his business online as he wants to get into rare fish and high end corals. He's wanting three peppermint angels for his home DTs to give you an idea.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with BBR, there's some pretty nice people in the club.

Unread 06/28/2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Lorekeeper
Registered Member

I've been in contact with Into the Blue, and he seems to be pretty great! I'm making a trip up there before school starts.

Sad to say that the anemone didn't make it, and has caused a pretty bad algae/bacterial bloom. I didn't lose anything else (thank god), but the tanks pretty cloudy and overrun with algae. I'm doing 10% WCs daily, running carbon, increasing flow, and feeding lightly... anything else I'm missing?