Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2018, 10:32 AM   #1
NASAGeek
Registered Member

Verifying ich treatment plan

I had a bout of ich run through my tank a few months ago. While the fish in the tank are stable... I understand the parasite is still there.

I want to verify my treatment plan before I begin. Hoping the more experienced folks will double check me on this.

240 gallon Display Tank.... corals, inverts and fish.
120 gallon Refugium.... live rock and cheato
40 gallon sump

My plan is as follows...
1) Move all fish from display tank to refugium.

2) Isolate refugium from Display/Sump. Leave the display with corals/inverts at normal salinity....
a)leave it that way for 80 days with no fish.
b) Regular water changes/monitor water parameters closely.

3) With all the fish in the refugium, reduce the refugium salinity to 1.008sg. a) reduce the salinity over a period of 3 days.
b) leave it at 1.008sg for 74 days. Regular water changes/monitor water parameters closely.
c) raise the salinity over a period of 3 days.

4) Reintroduce fish to display tank.
a) reconnect display/sump/refugium.

5) Add QT tank for all future fish.

Does that cover everything I need to do to get ich free?

Thanks for your expertise and review. I really want to get all this right.

Mark

NASAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 01:20 PM   #2
lagatbezan
Registered Member

sounds good!
keep in mind that there has been instances of ich that were hypo resistant. I would do hypo for a min of 30 days and then slowly ramp it up and then observe for the remainder of the fallow period to make sure that you have eradicated it for good. I would raise the salinity slower maybe about 5-7 days.
Also make sure you are using a correctly calibrated refractometer and constantly check the salinity and adjust for evaporation so that the levels do not go above 1.009. If it does, the clock resets and you will have to restart all over.
I would also suggest keeping the qt at least 10' away from your display and make sure that you are not sharing any equipment from one to the other.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote