Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2018, 07:12 PM   #1
Swayze27
Registered Member

Food for nems

Best food for nems that's easily obtained at a grocery store other than shrimp?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 08:13 PM   #2
930Reef
Registered Member

I just picked up a few bay scallops. Haven't tried them yet, but the size is good. A half of one or so, maybe even a third, seemed like an appealing size. Though I hear on the boards here that scallops are sometimes not high-interest for nems. Feeding tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

Bump, too. Interested to see what others say.

930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 10:56 PM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Scallop has been my go to on the occasion I spot, and usually it's me getting a bag for myself for dinner!

Other than that, good light, mysis may be picked up a little at fish feeding.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 09:44 AM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

When it comes to scallops and shrimp and sometimes fish, ask your fish monger if they're treated with STPP. It's a preservative that helps to maintain moisture, not only adding weight but give seafood, especially scallops, a plump looking appearance. Gulf shrimp that are sold fresh typically aren't treated, but a high percentage of shrimp that's shipped frozen is treated with STPP. Oftentimes, shrimp sold at the fish counter is frozen shrimp that's defrosted for the customer's convenience.

My go to food choices for my nems are wild salmon and sushi-grade tuna. I can't prove that STPP is harmful, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and feed foods that I know aren't treated with preservatives. Granted, some tuna is treated with carbon monoxide to prevent browning, but this doesn't appear to have harmful affects.

Unread 03/23/2018, 10:10 AM   #5
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
When it comes to scallops and shrimp and sometimes fish, ask your fish monger if they're treated with STPP. It's a preservative that helps to maintain moisture, not only adding weight but give seafood, especially scallops, a plump looking appearance. Gulf shrimp that are sold fresh typically aren't treated, but a high percentage of shrimp that's shipped frozen is treated with STPP. Oftentimes, shrimp sold at the fish counter is frozen shrimp that's defrosted for the customer's convenience.

My go to food choices for my nems are wild salmon and sushi-grade tuna. I can't prove that STPP is harmful, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and feed foods that I know aren't treated with preservatives. Granted, some tuna is treated with carbon monoxide to prevent browning, but this doesn't appear to have harmful affects.
Wow! Really interesting. Have never heard of that chemical, but a quick google search shows that it's a phosphate. Interesting in that even if it's harmless to eat for the livestock, I wonder if those extra phosphates leach into water column? I'm rinsing mysis, careful with feedings to keep phosphates down in my nano, and I may be adding hidden ones in with the "fresh" food I'm feeding. Thanks for the info. Going to try sushi-grade tuna.

930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Ruu
Registered Member

I'm a big fan of freeze dried krill rehydrated with selcon.

Ruu is offline   Reply With Quote