Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2018, 05:07 PM   #1
Sruane1982
Registered Member

Rose bubble tip issues

Hi All

New to the forum but not new to reef keeping.

I recently purchased a rose bubble tip and in the store it looked great but ever since bringing it home to my reef it looks shriveled up and awful. I have had it in my tank about a week and it moved about 4 inches from where it was initially.

Totally stumped as to why it won’t open up. When it does open up it is for a very short time then it just deflates again.

Specs are as follows.

SG 1.024
CA 420
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ammonia 0

28 gallon nano that has been up and running for a few years as I downsized from a 90 gallon.

It has a Full spectrum LED lights over it and have a protein skimmer as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94765BDA-C57E-481D-808E-A1E0B547D5C5.jpg (49.2 KB, 58 views)
Sruane1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Joe0813
Registered Member

whats your alk

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 11:29 PM   #3
Anemone
Cloning Around

WHat lighting was it under at the store? Full power LEDs can take some acclimating.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:18 AM   #4
divecj5
Registered Member

Although I've been reefing for the better part of 12 years now, I've just now taken the leap into keeping anemones and I've noticed the same behavior in my Reefer 170. I added 2 aquacultured BTAs I got from a local reefer about a month ago and added another aquacultured BTA this past Friday and noticed the same thing to you (tank has been running for 1+ year plus rock is from a 5-6 year old tank; params are spot on and stable).

I run an ATI 4-bulb T5 fixture (x1 ATI Coral+, x2 ATI Actinic, x1 ATI Blue+) with x2 MP10s (both running around 30-40% in Lagoon). All of the BTAs that I bought/traded for came from tanks with LEDs (various brands). When adding the BTAs to the tank, I added them to the bottom of my rock work to allow them to move up as they acclimate and/or need more light. Here are my observations:

- First 24hrs - Open and plump
- Next 24-48hrs - Movement to caves and other nooks and crannies and semi-withdrawn
- Next 4-6 days - Movement to more open rockwork, ie more light exposure. Open and plump for the first several hours the lights are on and then shrunken by the end of the photo period.
Reduced photoperiod from 8hr to 6hrs
- Next 4-6 days - Open, fully expanded, and although there is some movement around the rockwork, seem happy and plump

I reduced my photo period by 2-3 hrs to see if that had an effect on how open, expanded, and plump the anemone looked and it did. So for me, I'm chalking it up to the nems taking 2-3 weeks to get acclimated to the new light. Now the ones that I added about a month ago couldn't be any healthier, full, and colorful.

-Adam

Current Tank Info: 20H, Vortech MP20, Aquatinics TX5, SPS Only Tank
divecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by divecj5 View Post
I run an ATI 4-bulb T5 fixture (x1 ATI Coral+, x2 ATI Actinic, x1 ATI Blue+) with x2 MP10s (both running around 30-40% in Lagoon).
I hope you have some sort of cover on your MP10s. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before you have pureed anemone.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 05:43 AM   #6
Cstone123
Registered Member

Nem won’t open either

I recently switched from old Cheep 65watt led strip lights to the new 300 watt led razor maxspect Beautiful light by the way. Anyway, I of course dimmed the new lights so that my lps 90 gal could adjust, everything else seemed to handle the switch over a week n half but my rose bubble tip is still shy. It’s been 3 weeks now and he’s just starting to poke his head out a little. If he’s got good color and he’s still there he’ll adjust. My hosting clown has started hanging around my frog spawn he’s been in so long.

Cstone123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble tip anemone, shriveled up