Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Laura8088
Registered Member

prodibio reef kit feedback

Thinking of dosing the Prodibio line of products. looking for feedback from fellow reefers that have already been using Prodibio please.
pros vs. cons, results, tips, tricks etc. I've not been able to find much info so far. Also does it make your skimmer go nuts?

Laura8088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:23 PM   #2
2_zoa
Registered Member

I used it for a year ish,
Why is that your considering dosing their product?

Personally I didn’t notice anything fantastic about it. Dosing was convenient given the pre measured vials, but that’s about it.

I noticed a small amount of “clean up” in the tank. Nothing that simply dosing a carbon source (vinegar, vodka, sugar, etc) wouldn’t achieve, or I’ll even say get better results.
Like anything else. Dosing to much will result in poor water quality. I know they say you can’t overdose their product. However, you can overdose the aminos etc.. your also in the boat as far as don’t add what you don’t test for. Their strontium and potassium shouldn’t be blindly dosed just like any other product.

In the end, you still need to test for what we can test for if you choose to dose the full line of products.
There is far cheaper options.
Dosing carbon sources isn’t hard to do from a diy standpoint.
My skimmer didn’t go nuts. It just did it’s thing.

Your answer to my question. Will in my mind shine a light on what route you should go. Prodibio, another product that does the same thing, or a bottle of vodka, vinegar, or sugar. By the way, the type of sugar that’s perfeerd isn’t table sugar. The answer may be to not dose anything.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:34 PM   #3
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Ime just stick to the basics, keep high water quality. Alk, mag, cal, potassium, strontium, iron for elements. No3 and Po4 for nutrients.
Alk 8dkh
Cal 420 ppm
Mag 1380 ppm
Good salt mix and water changes will take care of the other trace elements
No3 5 ppm
P04 .03 ppm
This is considered "ideal" reef tank range.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Laura8088
Registered Member

I've never dosed anything. I do water changes that's it. . . and i think it shows. every things doing "okay" but just looks kinda drab.. like its needing something. My tank, in its current set up is 4 years old. I do like the idea of the prodibio helping with a little clean up. I have GHA. I feel like I starve my fish. I use rodi water for water changes. keep cutting back lighting. I have a reef octopus skimmer and I run a reactor with GFO/carbon mix in it. As far as corals go i have LPS mostly, and a rock anemone. So I was wondering if Prodibio may be of some help. . . and what others experienced with it. i've googled and tried youtube. not really a whole lot of info out there on it.

Laura8088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 09:04 PM   #5
2_zoa
Registered Member

Can you define drab?
What are you comparing your system too?
Do your water parameters fall in line with what dessertreeft4r posted?

Like I mentioned, there are different ways to achieve the same end result for less money. That’s my guess as to why not much info is out there about it. When I say it cleaned up a bit. I’m referring to the fact that I didn’t do anything prior to the Prodibio. No gfo, no real water change routine, etc...
That tank has been done and gone for a couple years now and I’m not going to buy the Prodibio product again.

Lighting, pests, nutrient levels, unstable parameters, are a quick few possibilities for drab looking coral. You say you don’t feed much. What would happen if you did? Dosing Prodibio bioptim might kick you into an algae bloom since it’s vitamins, aminos, etc..

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 09:12 PM   #6
ramseynb
Registered Member

Also, what kind of corals are you talking about? I've never used Prodibio but I do use and have used ZEOvit products in the past and love it but it's geared more towards low nutrient tanks with SPS. Part of the reason I like it is because I can feed a lot though. My fish are all super fat. I honestly worry that my helifrichi and a wrasse might just pop. There are other, similar systems though. ZEOvit can be expensive.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote