Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2018, 02:41 AM   #1
Eric The Clown
Registered Member

Sebae Anemone

I have had a Sebae for about 2 months. It has browned up a decent amount and certainly is pleased to host my snowflake clown. As a general observation, the anenome remains almost always open during periods when the lights are on or off. The only time its shape changes is when it has released his foot. This though has happened about 4 times which I would think might indicate a flow problem. I have never blasted it directly but there is clearly water movement around it. Any thoughts as to why it stays open, day and night, does not deflate or inflate, yet just releases? It was attached yesterday and when I turned off the flow to feed the corals it just went free in that 15 minute timeframe. I had to move it back, turned the flow back on and it reattached in under 5 minutes. The anemone has again been attached all night and fully open. Water parameters are good with a slightly high nitrate (7ppm). Thoughts???

Eric The Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:42 AM   #2
Swayze27
Registered Member

Not sure but I recently added one and it stayed in spot I put it for a week or so then detached and never would reattach and didn't make it. Apparently getting them to settle in is the hardest part with them according to some reading I've done.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 05:56 AM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

FWIW, I don't turn my flow down when I feed. I just mix the food in a cup with tank water, both frozen and flake food and poor it in right in front of the PH. Flood go absolutely everywhere and the fish just go after it. Often when I feed just dry food, I put the food into the pump chamber and these get carry up to the main tank and shoot out the return water. I find that fast moving food really help stimulate the fish to go after the food. It kinda fun to watch for me. An all out free for all scramble.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 08:38 AM   #4
rhdoug
Registered Member

I have a sebae that I added over 15 years ago. His tentacles are always blowing around in the current and I never turn the flow off unless I need to for maintenance, never for feeding coral or fish. He has only moved twice. Once to a slightly different spot in the same general area, and then back to his original home a few months later where he has stayed since. Of course I ruined everything by saying that and now he's going to move...

He hosts a pair of ocellaris clowns that were added in 2006. They spawned regularly for many years but have slowed down over time. Prior to that he hosted a breeding pair of gold stripe maroons which were killed in a heater mishap. That heater event also caused him to go into what I believe was a "stress-induced spawn" which is how I came to know that the anemone is a male. He spawned only one other time after that.

He is only fed what he catches when I broadcast feed the tank a frozen mix. I did feed him krill and silversides for the first few years when he was small (and bleached at first) but have not done that for a long time.

I wish you the best of luck with yours.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM

Last edited by rhdoug; 03/19/2018 at 08:51 AM.
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 11:32 AM   #5
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze27 View Post
Not sure but I recently added one and it stayed in spot I put it for a week or so then detached and never would reattach and didn't make it. Apparently getting them to settle in is the hardest part with them according to some reading I've done.
I too have this same problem. It would attach and then unattach depending on how hard the water flow/Clarkii decides to host it.

Now I gave up on attaching it to the rock work and just have it on the barebottom glass. But it is not happy.

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 07:03 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
I too have this same problem. It would attach and then unattach depending on how hard the water flow/Clarkii decides to host it.

Now I gave up on attaching it to the rock work and just have it on the barebottom glass. But it is not happy.
Because its a sand dwellar

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 12:21 AM   #7
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Yes I know. It's just very difficult having sand.

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 07:11 AM   #8
rhdoug
Registered Member

Mine actually lives in a large hole in the rocks. It might be touching the sand, but it appears to be attached to the rocks. In any event, it has always be at least partially attached to rock.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
Unread 03/20/2018, 09:01 AM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

Often they will weave through rocks, but the foot is most likely in sand

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 03/20/2018, 09:02 AM   #10
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
Yes I know. It's just very difficult having sand.
There are some cool rock dwellars, magnifica, gigantea

Unread 03/20/2018, 10:29 AM   #11
rhdoug
Registered Member

I agree that it is possible/likely that his foot is in the sand. Probably a good 8-10 inches from the disk, but I can get glimpses of it winding through the rocks from different angles.

Unread 03/20/2018, 11:03 AM   #12
davocean
Registered Member

My last crispa did the same, and I used to swear it was attached to rock until I swapped tanks and had to pull it, it was a big stretch, but the foot was in sand, and since that has been what I've witnessed w/ others as well, so most likely I think.

Unread 03/20/2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Swayze27
Registered Member

So my "white" sebae never would settle and I have to assume that it was due to its bleached condition. Sad that these anemone are misrepresented and sold as actual white anemone. I purchased a purple one that was delivered today. Beautiful anemone and the signs of good health were immediately known. When I reached into the bag to get it after acclimation it's foot latched onto my latex glove immediately. I placed it in an area that I had prepared for it and it has drawn itself into a crevice where the sand meets the rock base and has conformed its disk to the rock work around it. I say go with a purple if you can. All the tan ones I've ever seen are heavily bleached which may be impacting acclimation and settling.

Unread 03/20/2018, 07:18 PM   #14
Swayze27
Registered Member

Are sebae fast growing?

Unread 03/27/2018, 09:22 AM   #15
garygb
Registered Member

Sebae as in H. crispa prefer to attach to live rock, sebae as in malu prefer to have the base in sand.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote