Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2018, 12:44 PM   #1
LouB
Registered Member

I currently use API and Aquaforest test kits. Should I switch to something else?

Hey gang - I currently use the API reefmaster test kits as well as API ammonia and nitrite test kits. I use the AF Mg test kit which is a pain.

What's your experience? Do you find them accurate? Is there something better/more accurate that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance!

LouB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Really no need for Ammonia & Nitrite on an established reef tank.
I've never used API I started with Salifert & stayed with all but Phosphate.
For that I use a Milwaukee Photometer.

Unread 03/20/2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB View Post
Hey gang - I currently use the API reefmaster test kits as well as API ammonia and nitrite test kits. I use the AF Mg test kit which is a pain.

What's your experience? Do you find them accurate? Is there something better/more accurate that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance!
The API kits may turn out to be not as sensitive as you like and the color at the low range might be difficult to interpret because of the intense color at the zero point. I use the API ammonia test a lot but use a Hanna Alkalinity Checker to read the color intensity of the test solution after centrifuging to remove the precipitate.

Salifert and Red Sea nitrate test kits have a colorless zero point, so, detecting a faint test color by eye at low concentrations becomes easier. Read Sea is cheaper but requires a little more work and a bigger sample than Salifert.

If your budget ever increases, you will likely end up buying a Hanna Checker or two, one for phosphate and one for alkalinity, the former for more consistent measurements at low phosphate concentration and the latter because you despise titrations :-)

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 10:03 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

The Salifert Mg test might be easier to use, but I'm not sure. You could give it a shot. Other than that, the test kits you have likely are acceptable, although others might be easier to read or more precise. Unless the tank is having a problem, I'd leave well enough alone. When it's time to restock, I've had good results with Salifert kits for most parameters. The Hanna alkalinity and phosphate-phosphorus Checkers also get good reviews.

Unread 03/21/2018, 03:19 PM   #5
RCS82
Registered Member

Phosphates - Hanna ulr phosphorus, Api won't give you an accurate low range reading
Alk - Hanna and Salifert, both give me close to the same results
Calc - Salifert, easy
Mag - Salifert, I find this one real easy to see color change
Nitrate - Salifert, pretty easy also

Api will get you where you need to go but I like Salifert and Hanna. Red Sea and Nyos I haven't used much but are quality products no doubt.

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 03:27 AM   #6
Phixman
Registered Member

API test kits are really bad in my opinion, I use salifer for trace elements and Hannah for phosphates

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 06:46 AM   #7
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixman View Post
API test kits are really bad in my opinion, I use salifer for trace elements and Hannah for phosphates
By really bad, do you mean difficult to distinguish the low concentration colors?

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 08:49 AM   #8
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
That blanket statement is not fair.

Their alk and Ca kits are titrations that use color indicators. It couldn't be any easier or more accurate.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 01:32 AM   #9
Phixman
Registered Member

The reason I don't like them is because you have to have a sharp eye to distinguish colors, also, 1 drop can change results +- 2ppm in calcium as an example. The reason I never liked it was because I'd have to cap the solution every drop when I thought I was close to what I thought my readings were at and shake it a bit, no matter what I did or what I tried, solution would always leak a bit, thus giving me an inaccurate reading. I really want accuracy, and I think we get that with salifer, just my opinion.

Unread 03/25/2018, 10:47 AM   #10
dbdisok
Registered Member

Have you considered using a digital water testing system? I use eXact iDip smart photometer system. It works via BT with your smartphone. I purchased this device last year and like that it doesn't require me to guess at color matching. Plus it records all you test results. There are test reagents for fresh water and marine water.

https://sensafe.com/exact-idip-570-nm/

Next up 120 gallon RR. Much planning and work to be completed.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal reef with sump, L/S L/R
dbdisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 02:23 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
... 1 drop can change results +- 2ppm in calcium as an example..
I think you mean ±20 ppm? The Salifert kit is good to ±8 ppm or so, if you're careful, but ±20 ppm probably is close enough for most uses.

Unread 03/25/2018, 08:35 PM   #12
Phixman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I think you mean ±20 ppm? The Salifert kit is good to ±8 ppm or so, if you're careful, but ±20 ppm probably is close enough for most uses.
Yep, I typed that out too fast.

Unread 03/26/2018, 07:45 AM   #13
nereefpat
Registered Member

You can also double the volume of an API kit, giving 10ppm graduations for Ca and 0.5ppm graduations for alk.

A 10 mL syringe and a small beaker would work well. That way you can get the whole 10mL volume in one shot, and you can simply swirl the solution instead of having to cap and shake it.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 07:59 AM   #14
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
You can also double the volume of an API kit, giving 10ppm graduations for Ca and 0.5ppm graduations for alk.

A 10 mL syringe and a small beaker would work well. That way you can get the whole 10mL volume in one shot, and you can simply swirl the solution instead of having to cap and shake it.
the api calcium test in the tube makes a really thick solution swirling in my experience is never enough (I tried it in my wide salifert tube) for the api test it has to be shaken to get a good mix. i've noticed very different color results from inverting the tube three times to rapidly shaking it for 3 seconds. maybe in a tapered beaker you could get a good shake without capping and loss. I also hate the liquid loss of api kits.

using double volume in a larger container is excellent advice.

I only use API kits because they are usually very easy, if there is an aberrant reading (something outside what I expect) I double check them with more accurate (IMO) salifert kits. and usually the results are close but more exacting in most cases with the more expensive kit.

Unread 03/26/2018, 09:55 PM   #15
bertoni
RC Mod

The chemistry on the various hobbyist test kits varies a bit. Salifert claims to have done some work on making the reaction faster, and that seems true in my experience with the old IO kit. I suspect that the API is in the same category.

Tags
accuracy, test kits