Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/25/2011, 12:39 PM   #101
fote03
Registered Member

Very nice FULL tank!

Old 03/25/2011, 11:38 PM   #102
Gogandantess
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Wow! Absolutely amazing and beautiful aquarium! Easily one of the best I've ever seen! What more can be said?!

Gogandantess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2011, 09:52 AM   #103
bmco
Always deep under

Thanks Guys.

I have an update.

I'm considering changing the lights to led fixtures as a replacement for the MH and T5 light system I had.
I hanged 1X120 watts led fixture (left side) instead of my 400 watts metal halide - Giesmann fixture. The light is surprisingly intense, penetrating easily the 35 inch deep tank (Even better than my 400 watts MH). One issue is eliminated. I was worried about light penetration of led.

My plan is to use 6 led fixtures for the whole tank and get a higher intensity in the future.

bmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2011, 10:13 AM   #104
Elliott
Registered Member

how long do you plan to test the LED fixture to see how your corals respond with regards to color and growth? have you compared PAR values?

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2011, 10:22 AM   #105
bmco
Always deep under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
how long do you plan to test the LED fixture to see how your corals respond with regards to color and growth? have you compared PAR values?

I don't have a time frame for the testing but my guess is that it won't be too long(weeks I guess).
I didn't check PAR values but I don't have a doubt that the led is much more brighter and penetrates deeper. MH light spread is wider, no doubt about it, so more fixtures are needed for the same area.

Old 03/26/2011, 12:40 PM   #106
BHHOWARD
Registered Member

Can you take a picture of how your front returns are connected?

Thanks

BHHOWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2011, 03:08 PM   #107
laf-reef
Registered Member

awesome tank!

laf-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2011, 03:30 PM   #108
bmco
Always deep under

Thanks LAF-REEF.

BHHOWARD here you can see on a pic' from the first days how the return pipes are placed (everything else changed since).
Today the are covered with mushrooms and zoantids.

Old 03/26/2011, 03:59 PM   #109
BHHOWARD
Registered Member

BHHOWARD here you can see on a pic' from the first days how the return pipes are placed (everything else changed since).
Today the are covered with mushrooms and zoantids.

Those original pictures are great for the pipes in the front of the tank. I would like to see how they connect to the outside of the tank. A bulkhead through the bottom, over the top, etc.

Thanks

BHHOWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2011, 04:04 PM   #110
bmco
Always deep under

Look here.
It's not connected through the bottom with bulkhead.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1436135

Old 03/26/2011, 11:40 PM   #111
beex215
Registered Member

this is an amazing tank. its pack shoulder to shoulder with color. great selection

beex215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2011, 01:00 AM   #112
gimmito
Registered Member

Sweet 450... Very nice colors.

Current Tank Info: Working on a 450 display. 34 gal Red Sea Max.
gimmito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2011, 01:16 AM   #113
rnscross
Registered Member

this is the second time ive read through this. i hope you dont mind me stealing some ideas for my new build.

did you have problems with your old sohal and aggression? or was it just preference for smaller fish.

rnscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2011, 09:40 PM   #114
bmco
Always deep under

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnscross View Post
this is the second time ive read through this. i hope you dont mind me stealing some ideas for my new build.

did you have problems with your old sohal and aggression? or was it just preference for smaller fish.
No problem at all
My old Sohal was not aggressive at all. The reason for replacing him was his size. I try to keep smaller fish and bigger variety.

Old 03/28/2011, 01:04 PM   #115
Lt.Shineysides
Registered Member

wow absolutely beautiful tank. i love how packed it is and u have a nice collection of fish. just an overall nice looking tank

Lt.Shineysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2011, 04:34 AM   #116
gmigmi
Registered Member

Looks great!!!

gmigmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2011, 02:57 PM   #117
bmco
Always deep under

Ok I hanged 3 fixture in the left side.

Left side:

Color is more natural and less blue. Led light is much more intense than 400 w metal halide + 6 X T5 (54 w).

Old 03/29/2011, 05:40 PM   #118
Kipps
Registered Member

Awesome tank - congratulations. Love the tangs - do you have a current fish list?

Thanks.

Kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2011, 08:53 PM   #119
Phishguy
Registered Member

what are those led units? What are your observations so far?

What an amazing, enviable tank. Truly something that makes people drool.. I can't even imagine how to squeeze so much into my tank.

Last edited by Phishguy; 03/29/2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added to
Phishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2011, 12:31 AM   #120
nanobee
Registered Member

ohoho!!..simply Stunning..can't collect the words to describe the beauty of your tank..
Gorgeous!!..i really admire your passion and dedication!!

nanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2011, 04:00 AM   #121
bmco
Always deep under

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmco View Post
Ok I hanged 3 fixture in the left side.

Left side:

Color is more natural and less blue. Led light is much more intense than 400 w metal halide + 6 X T5 (54 w).
Thanls guys.

The led units are from Orphek. No observations so far except the drop in temperature levels and algae growth is cut by 80% on left side front glass.
The led units are only few days above my tank and I expect changes only after few weeks (hopefully).

I don't have a current fish list but I have about 60 fish with a wide variety.
Same way with corals. I buy them small and enjoy the long years I grow them.

Last edited by bmco; 03/30/2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04/08/2011, 07:24 AM   #122
bmco
Always deep under

After two weeks of experimenting with led, some updates:

In the last two weeks there have been several changes, some of have been reported, I will summarize:

1. significant drop in water temperature.
2. Increased polyp extention.
3. increase coral growth in some acropora's.
4. No significant color change.The corals were colorful remained unchanged or just cleared perhaps because of the additional hours of lighting. MH were 6.5 hours of lighting and led 10 hours of lighting. brown corals stayed brown but became clearer. I expect more.
5. Algae on the front glass was reduced to one-third or quarter of the situation befor. The reason is probably less lighting on the front glass and less spectrum that encourages algae .

Please note the Acroapora in the middle. Increased growth can be seen in the bright purple areas.

Blue stayed blue. After two weeks there is little clarity in color. No decrease in intensity.

Brown corals which were once in the past a little pink color haven't changed but cleared .

This coral was a brown pink and had no color change yet .

Greens have become more vivid bright under led lighting.

Orange red color looks excellent even better than before (the image does little injustice to coral ...)

I really want to see what led can do to the right side of the tank where there are some corals that I think will respond extremely to led due to their type (badly or great improvement and less static), but this experiment would be too expensive, so I will give up on it until I see significant results on the left side.

I will summarize the last two weeks :
The led technology in my opinion is already in "prime time", I have no doubt. Light intensity shining on the corals is very strong, it can provide full lighting for extra hours and still save $$$. Corals look good and not react badly led light, no color reduction, no tip burns.

I think a combination of LED with colored T5 will be an excellent solution for reef lighting today and the future.

In any case the experiment goes on and I will keep updating.

Old 04/08/2011, 07:30 AM   #123
Elliott
Registered Member

looks good, updates much appreciated, thanks

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 07:42 AM   #124
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Fantastic looking tank! Thanks for the information on your observation with the led lighting you are using.

Scott

Current tank info: 34 gal Solana and a 400 gal FOWLR with 4-250 watt MH's, Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000, Korralin sulphur denitrator, 4-Koralia 7's. 120 gal LED sps reef in the works. Currently raising true Perc's.
nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2011, 07:27 AM   #125
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

It's a little scary changing lighting on a tank full of healthy, colorful corals. Even moving a coral higher or extending the photoperiod can cause brown-outs and bleaching. I'm glad the new lighting is working out well for you.

I have recently added 16 Orphek PR 156 fixtures to a 1350 gallon tank and have had the same good experience as you. The photoperiod has been extended so the reef can be enjoyed for two more hours.

Have you noticed a big difference in the blue dawn/dusk light? It makes my old T5 actinic look like cheap Christmas lights

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote