Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/05/2020, 08:24 AM   #1
Zionas
Registered Member

What are the average lifespans of these types of fish?

Hey everyone, for these kinds of smaller fish I am curious as to what their lifespan is:

1. Firefish (Red, Purple, Exquisite, Helfrichi’s)

2. Dartfish (Scissortail, Zebra, Blue Gudgeon etc.)

3. Blennies (Midas, Bicolor, Starry, Lawnmower, Tailspot, Molly Miller etc.)

4. Dottybacks

5. Basslets (Royal Gramma, Swissguard, Swales, Blackcap, Candy, Assessors etc.)

6. Gobies (Yellow Watchman, Randall’s, etc.)

7. Bangaii Cardinals

Among small fish I know Clowns have the most longevity. I’ve also heard of people having kept PJ Cardinals, some dwarf angels, and some damsels over 10 years. For wrasses I know Fairies usually live 7-8 with Flashers 5-6, Halichoeres 8-10 etc.

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Problem is, since these are caught as adults, you don't know how old they are when you get them, but I have seen the watchmen live over 5 years.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2020, 08:34 AM   #3
Timfish
Registered Member

I suspect, and I want to emphasize this is conjecture, under ideal conditions most of the fish listed might make it to 10 years and some maybe longer. As Sk8R pointed out we don't know how old these fish are. Taking into consideration the lack of information regarding actual age and ideal habitat, tankmates and diet I would consider keeping any of them 4-6 years a success.

Unread 08/09/2020, 04:38 AM   #4
Zionas
Registered Member

I do hope to keep some of them up to 10 years or longer though! Would make me really happy.

I would never buy an adult-sized fish, I prefer young adults or juveniles. If I buy one at or near full size I run the risk of buying an old fish that I might only be able to keep for 4-5 years or even less than that (especially terminal phase male wrasses).

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote