Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2008, 01:13 PM   #1
metalmagiccusto
Moved On

Lightbulb seahorses for christmas?

i was thinking of getting my girlfriend some seahorses for christmas but i dont really know anything about them. i have had a reeftank for a while and im up for the challange but im not sure what to buy and how to set it up? i would like to start with a small 15 gal. octagon tank but im really open right now. all info will be very helpful!

metalmagiccusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Naperenterprise
Registered Member

IMO its the same water parameters as a reef. But with very low water movement. Another important factor is the intake to your filters, sea horses get sucked into tubes, over flows, etc... very easily.

They are very interesting to keep and breed. Make sure you get them on the proper diet.

Current Tank Info: 400 gallon reef, 85 gallon & 65 gallon reef
Naperenterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2008, 05:26 PM   #3
kingsord0
Registered Member

I would recommend getting a tank that is 2-3 times taller than the adult height of the seahorses, so if you could get a 25+ gallon tank it would be better than a 15. That would also make it easier to care for because if something small goes wrong then it isn't as big a problem with the larger amount of water.

Also you don't need a very high flow rate for the seahorses so a lower-flow filter would be a good idea.

Try to get a captive bread if you can because they are more hardy and easier to feed.

I'm not an expert so wait for one of the more experienced keepers for more info, because they know their stuff.

P.S. Remember to do as much research as possible.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Starting to go Reef
kingsord0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2008, 12:38 AM   #4
metalmagiccusto
Moved On

Thumbs up thanks

thanks guys for your help! Ive been reef keepin a while so i know to research and take my time.. lol i learned the hard way the first time thats why im askin about it now so i get all my ducks in a row. im wanting to use some of my reef water to start cycling early this week so it will be more than ready by xmas.

Unread 11/23/2008, 02:43 AM   #5
pledosophy
Registered Member

If your gonna get the girl a tank get some xenia and a pair of nemo;s she'll be stoked. Drop in a midas blenny and your golden.

If you wanna do seahorses you have a lot of reading to do. Plus if this isn't the forever girl, what happens later. Not to be a jerk, just sayin. I bet she'd love a midas blenny and some xenia, maybe even a frogspawn. Ohhhh pretty.

Sorry not trying to be a jerk, but, know what your getting into. If your serious try the search feature.

Unread 11/24/2008, 12:41 PM   #6
metalmagiccusto
Moved On

ahhh

i think this one is golden and its not about the saltwater tank that would b no big deal for me but this girl is totaly in love with seahorses ....the funny part is she has never seen the ocean but loves annything to do with it!!! go figure right?

Unread 11/24/2008, 01:47 PM   #7
REEF-n-Chicago
Registered Member

go for it!! BUT do the research

My tank gets DRUNK every morning

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon w/ 100 gallon sump; 240 gallon
REEF-n-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2008, 11:31 PM   #8
David123
Registered Member

Why do you need the water from the reef tank to cycle, personally, I like to cycle sterile for horses, buy the bacteria in a bottle, also some bottled ammonia.

This way, you know there is no carry over disease that can harm your new charges.

Cheers David
David123 is offline   Reply With Quote