Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2018, 07:34 PM   #3501
kevin21
Registered Member

I love the extra length of the 50. Don’t get me wrong, the 40s look great as well and I love following this thread. I am caught between the 50 and 40. Haven’t heard of anyone with the 50 yet. Would love some feedback on it, if anyone out there has one!

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 09:35 PM   #3502
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
I love the extra length of the 50. Don’t get me wrong, the 40s look great as well and I love following this thread. I am caught between the 50 and 40. Haven’t heard of anyone with the 50 yet. Would love some feedback on it, if anyone out there has one!

Even if you go with the 50, can't wait to watch your build. Have you checked out new external lines?

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 05:51 AM   #3503
kevin21
Registered Member

Personally haven't thought about that yet. I have the basics already on my 28g that I can transfer over. I have two kessil a160we's, tunze ATO, and a tunze 9002 skimmer. I believe I will somewhat upgrade the skimmer for the 40 or 50 though, bc this is an older model. Still does its job well though. I would be transferring over my existing rock and livestock as well. So I would need the tank and stand, some additional cured LR, and extra starboard to use for my barebottom. Then I will be sitting pretty. I also will have the returns on the tank, maybe upgrade them if I feel its necessary, and have an MP10 ready to go.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
Unread 04/10/2018, 08:38 AM   #3504
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Personally haven't thought about that yet. I have the basics already on my 28g that I can transfer over. I have two kessil a160we's, tunze ATO, and a tunze 9002 skimmer. I believe I will somewhat upgrade the skimmer for the 40 or 50 though, bc this is an older model. Still does its job well though. I would be transferring over my existing rock and livestock as well. So I would need the tank and stand, some additional cured LR, and extra starboard to use for my barebottom. Then I will be sitting pretty. I also will have the returns on the tank, maybe upgrade them if I feel its necessary, and have an MP10 ready to go.
That makes more since if you are transfering over. Also I really like the APS stands as well. If I was to do it over I would seriously look at a HOB skimmer. The New Mightyjet is a great return pump as well.

What is this Starboard? where do you get it?

Unread 04/10/2018, 08:43 AM   #3505
kevin21
Registered Member

Why would you prefer a hang on back?

And this is a quick example of a link for starboard. It is a strong plastic that is reef safe. Can put it on bottom glass of the tank. I cut mine to fit my 28 and would do the same for the IM. Some people go as far as put down a reef safe glue on the starboard, and then sprinkling sand on it. This gives the natural look of the sand bed, but is really barebottom. I have never done that though. I don't mind the white look, it normally just gets covered with coral and coraline and I don't even notice it any more.

Unread 04/10/2018, 12:16 PM   #3506
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Why would you prefer a hang on back?

And this is a quick example of a link for starboard. It is a strong plastic that is reef safe. Can put it on bottom glass of the tank. I cut mine to fit my 28 and would do the same for the IM. Some people go as far as put down a reef safe glue on the starboard, and then sprinkling sand on it. This gives the natural look of the sand bed, but is really barebottom. I have never done that though. I don't mind the white look, it normally just gets covered with coral and coraline and I don't even notice it any more.
I feel the HOB skim better, and less micro bubbles.

Didn't see link to the starboard? Interesting Idea, might **** off wrasses, sand sifting fish...

Unread 04/11/2018, 05:42 AM   #3507
kevin21
Registered Member

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/mater...king-starboard

Sorry, there is the link. Basically, you would need to stay away from sand sifting fish and fish that would sleep in the sand, such as wrasses. You can get away with gobies, but they prefer sand as well. However, these are the sacrifices you take to go barebottom. Ive thought about going with a short sand bed in the 50, because I do love wrasses and gobies, but for whatever reason, I have had serious nutrient issues with my sand bed tanks in the past. The past two tanks that I have gone bare bottom have been a lot easier to maintain.

Unread 04/11/2018, 10:51 AM   #3508
AZReef13
Registered Member

Thanks,

I've always done sand bed like the look. Never tried a bare bottom tank, might want to try a small frag tank in future might be something to look at,

Unread 04/11/2018, 04:04 PM   #3509
Ojaijames
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojaijames View Post
Fellow RADION xr-15 users over your IM 40 what is your lighting schedule? I extended mine to 11 hours so family can enjoy the tank longer and wondering what others have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one using RADION xr15?

Current Tank Info: INNOVATIVE MARINE 40 AND 20
Ojaijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 04:07 PM   #3510
AZReef13
Registered Member

I'm using AI 26, still trying to find a nice light schedule as well.

Unread 04/11/2018, 05:30 PM   #3511
Ojaijames
Registered Member

I’m curious settings and placement of mp10 users in this group?

Unread 04/11/2018, 09:13 PM   #3512
AZReef13
Registered Member

I'm currently running one, top right (wanted to hide it), use Lagoon, about 5. I have LPS. Plus I have the new Mightyjet return pump and running that on their sine wave; 4

Unread 04/11/2018, 09:37 PM   #3513
burrito
Registered Member

I just got the IM wavelink . Super quiet and running “4” on pulse mode which is creating a nice wave action. I have it in the back top right corner of my 30L.

Also, I didn’t think my sicci 1.5 was loud (but I might have to go with the mighty jet if it’s as quiet as the wave link.

burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 11:32 PM   #3514
Ojaijames
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReef13 View Post
I'm currently running one, top right (wanted to hide it), use Lagoon, about 5. I have LPS. Plus I have the new Mightyjet return pump and running that on their sine wave; 4

Which mighty jet did you get? I assume this is in a 40gal IM.

Unread 04/13/2018, 07:34 AM   #3515
AZReef13
Registered Member

Yes, it was the MJ 538

Still debating replacing mp10 for the wavelink.

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:14 AM   #3516
burrito
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, it was the MJ 538

Still debating replacing mp10 for the wavelink.
1 thing to note, while you can have 2 wavelinks for the price of one mp10, the mp10 is about half the size if not more for the wet side which in these smaller AIOs could make a difference, ill get a pic later this afternoon of my waveline in a IM30L

Unread 04/13/2018, 05:21 PM   #3517
Ojaijames
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice scape, looks like diatoms.... went through it myself.. I started to use Red Sea NO3/PO4... Really help in my tank. also GFO in IM reactor...

Curious about the Red Sea n03/p04. What is this for? I get the breakouts usually after I have spent time with my hands in the tank.

Unread 04/14/2018, 08:37 PM   #3518
saltnewb
Registered Member

im about to finally order my supplies for my IM 40 . im still debating on a skimmer , i had the ghost on my 20 and it was fine once it broke in. My question is for those of you with the Ghost on the 40 is it really that bad and if you had to do it over again would you buy it or something else ( tunze 9004 dc).

also how much live rock and sand are you guys running in the 40 , im being really indecisive on this build as ive been away for a year or two and feel like i forgot everything i knew TIA

saltnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 07:21 AM   #3519
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnewb View Post
im about to finally order my supplies for my IM 40 . im still debating on a skimmer , i had the ghost on my 20 and it was fine once it broke in. My question is for those of you with the Ghost on the 40 is it really that bad and if you had to do it over again would you buy it or something else ( tunze 9004 dc).

also how much live rock and sand are you guys running in the 40 , im being really indecisive on this build as ive been away for a year or two and feel like i forgot everything i knew TIA
I'm using the ghost and its fine. But if I know now I would take serious look at a HOB. I like to use my socks, and or media chambers. which the tunze will need one of those chambers. If you go with ghost, make sure you order thier preformance pack. Most onlines have them.

I think I started with a about 20lbs.. And have added a few more pounds.. I pick rock LFS and built my scape, did't just get 20lbs.

Unread 04/15/2018, 07:24 AM   #3520
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojaijames View Post
Curious about the Red Sea n03/p04. What is this for? I get the breakouts usually after I have spent time with my hands in the tank.

It's a form of carbon dosing. It will help remove nitrites and phosphates, never heard out break from hands?

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:47 PM   #3521
saltnewb
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm using the ghost and its fine. But if I know now I would take serious look at a HOB. I like to use my socks, and or media chambers. which the tunze will need one of those chambers. If you go with ghost, make sure you order thier preformance pack. Most onlines have them.

I think I started with a about 20lbs.. And have added a few more pounds.. I pick rock LFS and built my scape, did't just get 20lbs.
i ended up ordering the aquamaxx hob 1.5

Unread 04/18/2018, 08:47 PM   #3522
AZReef13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnewb View Post
i ended up ordering the aquamaxx hob 1.5
Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Unread 04/19/2018, 12:10 PM   #3523
AZReef13
Registered Member

Ok I finnaly add my Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Chaetomax 2-in-1 9W Refugium LED, with a In Tank media basket. I really like the way the In Tank fits into chamber. Light mounts with velcro, very simple. There is no on/off switch which is the only drawback. I did add a timer that can control light. Add a small ball of Chaeto...will keep updates on growth, Might be getting a couple captive breed Mandrins next week. So this small Refug will help with pods, I hope.

Unread 04/26/2018, 11:09 AM   #3524
burrito
Registered Member

might be tough but any pics of the setup, im considering the same for my 30L

Unread 05/09/2018, 05:57 AM   #3525
saltnewb
Registered Member

I finally have the tank up and goin , will post pics this weekend if I get time. I love my vanity/stand that I modified, lots of room and looks nice IMO. Im using my hydra 26 hd , but will be using the aquatic life t-5 hybrid . I ordered an apex it should be here soon ,I will need to build a nice layout panel for it. I went with the avast marine ATO and love it. Im running the aquamaxx hob 1.5 skimmer only thing im having issue with is i need to re-plumb the intake and output to make it fit better/save room in the back . I totally love this tank, was planning on using my mp10 but the wetside died on me so i ordered the ice cap 1k gyre and are so glad i did , great flow no dead spots.