Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2018, 04:28 PM   #1
kinkyads
Registered Member

Lighting for a 400 gallon

Hi there,

I need some lighting ideas. We have a new 400 gallon we are setting up. It is 72x40x32

I dont want to use AI's due to the cost It will be. We plan on growing corals LPS.

Thanks

kinkyads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 09:17 AM   #2
McPuff
Registered Member

Do you want full control of individual channels, ability to ramp up/down? There are not many options for a larger tank unless you go with a bunch of units. I've got 9 on my 300 (72x36x27h). You might be able to get away with the same, especially if you're just doing LPS.

If you want to go with fewer units, you'll end up spending some serious money on Orpheks.

Only other option is to go with 3 x 400W halides and led supplemental lighting. That's the bad thing about having a large reef tank.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 12:02 PM   #3
travis32
Registered Member

I have a 340 Gallon system - 69" X 36" X 31"
Lighting was a killer for it.

I went with an Aquatic LIfe T5HO fixture - 4 bulb 38 Watts each. Went with Coral Special bulbs from Aquatic life.

I then did 3 Hydra 52 HD LED lights and mounted them perpendicular to the tank instead of lengthwise with the tank. (Ordered the modified braces to mount the lights that way) all mounted to the Aquatic Life fixture.

The lighting is great. Lights up the tank well and ramps up and down, easy to setup through their app and control from my phone or really from anywhere.

I was out of town, and my wife wanted to watch a movie, she asked me to turn the lights off while I was in another state. I hadn't tested it remotely. Logged into the mobile app and bam, was able to shut them off no issues. I love them.

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 09:03 PM   #4
ali1
Registered Member

Arctic T247. I have 5 units over my 8ft 300g tank. Grow sps and lps fine

With those dimensions, you can get 5-6 units depending on corals. Gives you room for shaded areas for less demanding corals

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 07:46 AM   #5
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
Arctic T247. I have 5 units over my 8ft 300g tank. Grow sps and lps fine

With those dimensions, you can get 5-6 units depending on corals. Gives you room for shaded areas for less demanding corals
Can those be dimmed to simulate sunrise/sunset? It seems someone with a 3' tank (front to back) would need 2 units per 2 feet of length. For me, it would still be 6 units... I don't believe that the unit covers 36 x 24" as they claim. I have also heard others say these are great lights... just want more information.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 10:02 AM   #6
steallife904
Registered Member

a few reefbreeder 50 photon v2s might do the trick. 2-4 might work? I run 1 over my 150 no issue. Plus you can link them.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 04:50 PM   #7
ali1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Can those be dimmed to simulate sunrise/sunset? It seems someone with a 3' tank (front to back) would need 2 units per 2 feet of length. For me, it would still be 6 units... I don't believe that the unit covers 36 x 24" as they claim. I have also heard others say these are great lights... just want more information.
They can be dimmed and adjusted yo simulate sunrise/sundown. 24x24 is what I would give them.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 03:10 AM   #8
sfdan
Registered Member

If you would consider halides, I think 4 250watt fixtures in a square grid would work quite well. I'd place the reflectors perpendicular to the long side of the tank so each fixture is responsible for 36" of the length and 20" of the width. Should have no problem keeping LPS happy, even at the bottom of the tank.

For another non-LED alternative, a couple of ATI Sunpower 60" units would also light up your tank quite nicely, one for each side. You could also go a DIY route and make your own canopy with T5 retro kits and make a canopy with 12-14 60" T5s, which would also be more than enough for happy LPS corals. Would probably be one of the more economical options for lighting your tank.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote